HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 20, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #19,141 of 25,674
Buffering means the data is in a buffer, in RAM. Besides faulty RAM, rowhammer attacks or cosmic events, I don't see how it would make digital bits flip and thus result in incorrect data when played back.
Transmission itself over a wire (vs. optical cable) can be susceptible to noise, but buffering? I really don't see how. It's like the local FLAC vs streaming FLAC discussion: the very same bits end up in RAM before being played, how could they sound different?
Buffering is changing the timing on how the music is played which means it is held in memory for a split second (or nano second lol) to when there is no buffering. It is a technique that is used when you play video files vs normal music files as the visual side of the video is at a different timing to the sound and hence adding a value of buffering allows the two to be aligned (although in reality not completely aligned but good enough to be able to watch and hear the video without major distractions).

Dec 20, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #19,142 of 25,674
Can we please take discussion of non-Susvara topics (grounding, CDs vs. streaming, etc.) somewhere else at this point?
Apologies from my side 'BassicScience' for replying to such topics on the Susvara thread.

Dec 20, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #19,143 of 25,674
Thank you guys for your input! I was thinking of buying EF1000 for Susvara and/or other high end amplifiers (Envy, W33..etc). However, I didn’t want to spend so much money if the Susvara didn’t impress me with the set ups I mentioned. In my experience if you don’t enjoy a headphone with a lower end set up don’t go up the chain, because the headphone character doesn’t change. I remember when HD800 came out and it was deemed the ultimate piece of personal audio. I liked it, but I was never impressed with it. I like the sound of speakers and I have two sets of Harbeth. The combo of Sol P and AHB2 is the only set up I tried that competes with my Harbeth 40.2. I’m looking forward to the NYC Canjam to try Susvara again with Envy and other high end amps.
To my experience and ears (10 years with headphones & headphone hifi systems and 40+ years on hifi speaker systems), your analogy is not correct.

The Susvaras sound completely different using poor quality hifi components / system and a good to high quality synergy matched with good to high quality hifi components / systems. Same for other headphones including the Senn HD800's which I owned in the past.

All of the TOTL headphones I have tried and or owned scale up and change their character (some a lot more than others) when connected to better hifi equipment.

The Susvara definitely scales up massively and it's character changes too as you go higher up the hifi equipment chain. So far, they are the best headphones I have ever tried and owned.

Dec 20, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #19,144 of 25,674
To my experience and ears (10 years with headphones & headphone hifi systems and 40+ years on hifi speaker systems), your analogy is not correct.

The Susvaras sound completely different using poor quality hifi components / system and a good to high quality synergy matched with good to high quality hifi components / systems. Same for other headphones including the Senn HD800's which I owned in the past.

All of the TOTL headphones I have tried and or owned scale up and change their character (some a lot more than others) when connected to better hifi equipment.

The Susvara definitely scales up massively and it's character changes too as you go higher up the hifi equipment chain. So far, they are the best headphones I have ever tried and owned.
I agree about the Susvaras scaling up. They scale up better than any other headphone I’ve tried. Like going from my Standard WA33 to my Elite WA33 JPS, the Susvaras scaled up the most. Better equipment really did make the Susvaras sound that much better. The level of improvement surprised me. My other TOTL headphones scaled up too, but not nearly as much as the Susvaras.

Dec 20, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #19,145 of 25,674
What is causing the different staging and imaging?
This is via resolving power and temporal accuracy. Most people , even veteran hi-fi
folks find it difficult to resolve this issue so they just play the synergy game. A proper chain would always stage low and imaging doesn't make you think you hear 'detail' but rather realism. Most of the praise by people saying there's more 'detail' is like people liking the effect of cranking up sharpness on their huge 4k tv.

DON'T TELL ME THIS - HAHA!!!
Dont worry, fair amount of people were underwhelmed with the EF1000 so it's not even a bullet proof solution. So it still goes back to my signal chain advocacy and proven where a 63mw amp can sound better than way beefier ones.
why .wav over .aiff?
While both are the practically the same, wav has more resolving midbass than aiff. Why? No idea. It is what it is.

Understanding the importance of signal chain will improve one's Susvara experience. Why then would people still sell their ahb2 that is seemingly 'transparent beyond audibility' and 20x more power than needed?

And this is why I don't clip the Susvara on a 63mw amp while a few people are clipping the Susvara with the tt2 and crying the tt2 lacks power.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #19,146 of 25,674

My other TOTL headphones scaled up too, but not nearly as much as the Susvaras.

Didn't think that would be the case but you guys are spot on.. at least for my ears.

When I was driving Susvara using Phonitor X & SET KT77 tube amp, Susvara was OK but I still preferred my old HD800 and HD800S over it but the table has turned since acquiring Enleum AMP23R

HD800/S benefitted from the amp but not as much as Susvara. Susvara sounded as if it was a different headphone...

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #19,147 of 25,674
No one buys power amps to drive Susvara so they can listen at 130dB. That is not the point.

Susvara needs current to drive, a lot of it. And a lot of headphones amplifier can theoretically push a lot of power, but pushing a lot of current while maintaining quality is difficult task. A big chunk of headphone amps can advertise multiple watts of power, but the output becomes unusable way before the advertised limit. There  ARE headphones amps that does a lot of current without compromising in quality, but the choices are not a lot and the price can be very expensive.

This is where power amplifiers come in. They are made to drive speakers, which requires a lot of current. Which makes it a perfect choice for driving Susvara on a lower budget. With a lot of choices on top.

The <100mW amp narrative only works in following few cases:

1. It's clipping but you don't notice it
2. Your "music" choice has no transient peaks, that's why extra power is not needed
3. You are listening at much lower volume than others, thus the extra power is not needed.
4. You are making stuff up

Please stop posting these low powered amplifier nonsense. Power is simple, if you don't have enough power, you don't have enough power. No amount of grounding, transport quality can change this. End of discussion.
I listen to 14DR tracks loud enough so what's your point? Lmk what track you use.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #19,148 of 25,674
Buffering is changing the timing on how the music is played which means it is held in memory for a split second (or nano second lol) to when there is no buffering. It is a technique that is used when you play video files vs normal music files as the visual side of the video is at a different timing to the sound and hence adding a value of buffering allows the two to be aligned (although in reality not completely aligned but good enough to be able to watch and hear the video without major distractions).
"Buffering" in that sense means "waiting until the buffer in RAM has enough data for playback" and that always happens, whether the file is local or not, and whether usb or optical links are used.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #19,149 of 25,674
This is where power amplifiers come in. They are made to drive speakers, which requires a lot of current. Which makes it a perfect choice for driving Susvara on a lower budget. With a lot of choices on top.
I've been using a Roksan K3 amp to drive the Susvara, from what you're saying getting a better power amp would be more beneficial/cheaper than getting a high end headphone amp? I've been eyeing the Ferrum OOR/HYPSOS but am not sure about the added value over what I have now.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #19,150 of 25,674
I've been using a Roksan K3 amp to drive the Susvara, from what you're saying getting a better power amp would be more beneficial/cheaper than getting a high end headphone amp? I've been eyeing the Ferrum OOR/HYPSOS but am not sure about the added value over what I have now.
I'm comparing chord anni vs hypsos OOR side by side with the Susvara and Anni sounds better and is only on 12:30 on the pot on unity gain while OOR is close to max volume. Anni is better on all fronts. Blacker, deeper better imaging. Hypsos OOR on silver occ xlr and silver plated xlr plugs, Anni on silver occ rca.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #19,151 of 25,674
This is via resolving power and temporal accuracy. Most people , even veteran hi-fi
folks find it difficult to resolve this issue so they just play the synergy game. A proper chain would always stage low and imaging doesn't make you think you hear 'detail' but rather realism. Most of the praise by people saying there's more 'detail' is like people liking the effect of cranking up sharpness on their huge 4k tv.

Dont worry, fair amount of people were underwhelmed with the EF1000 so it's not even a bullet proof solution. So it still goes back to my signal chain advocacy and proven where a 63mw amp can sound better than way beefier ones.

While both are the practically the same, wav has more resolving midbass than aiff. Why? No idea. It is what it is.

Understanding the importance of signal chain will improve one's Susvara experience. Why then would people still sell their ahb2 that is seemingly 'transparent beyond audibility' and 20x more power than needed?

And this is why I don't clip the Susvara on a 63mw amp while a few people are clipping the Susvara with the tt2 and crying the tt2 lacks power.
They may have been underwhelmed by the EF1000 with the Susvara due to poor source inputs like at some of the Canjam shows where it has appeared for demo !

If you think having a TOTL input source into a poor quality amp will make the Susvaras sound at their best or even just great, you are grossly mistaken '801evan' !

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #19,152 of 25,674
I'm comparing chord anni vs hypsos OOR side by side with the Susvara and Anni sounds better and is only on 12:30 on the pot on unity gain while OOR is close to max volume. Anni is better on all fronts. Blacker, deeper better imaging. Hypsos OOR on silver occ xlr and silver plated xlr plugs, Anni on silver occ rca.
Chord Anni with the Susvara.....lol :beyersmile:....... Oooo i think I will rush out and buy the Chord Anni and sell my EF1000 ! :beyersmile:

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #19,153 of 25,674

An Amp clipping is not just about the power the Amp is and can deliver. A high input from a source especially with certain loud passages in ultra dynamic music can make an Amp clip and go into stand-by mode to safe itself from being damaged !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back