HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 28, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #16,411 of 25,788
Could be too thin diaphragm coupled with not strong enough magnet and lack of any damping from enclosure.
I would make a guess it's the thin framing/bracing. There's a slight 'glow' on top of the group delay. But these are resolved a fair bit with the extra clamp trick I suggested. Usually this is a cable issue but, it should sound hard and congested if that's the case but there's a good release on the sound. There is also a slight plasticky high further up the in frequency range which makes me believe there is not a cable issue and how it's a housing issue, however slight so I would agree on lack of dampening from enclosure. These are all neglible honestly just over a year ago vs Utopia and a TC.lol. but with LCD 5 and Stealth out, it becomes a part of the conversation now.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #16,412 of 25,788
I had the weiss 501 on home demo recently and absolutely loved it. Its a hell of a dac especially since it uses off the shelf dac chips.

Interesting, especially given your equipment list with MDave. Did you have the 2CH or 4CH version? I had the 2CH on home loan and decided to buy one but was advised to wait for the 4CH which was intended to provide a step up in transparency and clarity. I did wait and found the 4CH to be a very worthwhile improvement over the 2CH version. Mine was from the first batch received in the UK in mid-May, so they’re not long out on the streets, but I have been very impressed with mine.

I had a Chord Dave for 7 years and also had the Blu II upscaling CD transport from launch. so ran similar setup to you. The lockdown scenario prompted me into finalising my main system for once and for all which led to significant change and I sold my Dave earlier this year - I still have the Blu II. Replacing the Dave was an interesting experience as it made me rationalise exactly what I wanted from my main system and I now run a dual DAC setup with a T+A SDV 3100 HV operating as the system focal point - I always ran speakers primarily, but have used headphones increasingly in recent years since my wife does not always approve of my musical choices.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #16,413 of 25,788
Yes, I have the recently introduced Weiss DAC 501 4CH which I run into a Wells Headtrip II Level II and that’s convincingly the best headphone sound I’ve ever had in my home. The Weiss punches way above its weight/size/price in terms of sound quality and features. It has fully adjustable Cross-feed and extensive EQ facilities so can be tailored to suit your preference but does not have the output on its own for Susvara - probably no surprise in that.

Other headphones that I have here for comparison purposes include HD 800, Utopia, Diana Phi and Solitaire P, the latter being currently on loan for assessment.

Edit - probably should mention that I have the JPS Labs Superconductor for Susvara which makes a difference.
Edit 2 - although expensive, I bought the JPS cable on the basis that it fits both the DiPhi and the Susvara but it worked so well with Susvara that it has never been taken off.
Interesting you use the SC with the Susvara. What changes do you percieve particualar to the SC?

I use the SC with the TC.

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #16,416 of 25,788
Very interesting.

You use two separate cables or just one with adapters?

Mine is terminated with 4 pin XLR. I didn’t appreciate the twin cable approach so I put a jacket on it for convenience.

0CF9BB7C-DF7A-4A8D-B9FE-581E7E53FE74.jpeg

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #16,417 of 25,788
Recently acquired a pair of Susvaras and did some back to back comparisons with my HE6 SEV2 using exactly the same chain including cables. The amp is an NCore NC502MP directly to speaker terminals so the headphones are more than adequately powered and the sound is very neutral. The upshot of this is I can't tell them apart blind! I am probably being controversial here but in the interest of "Emperors new clothes" syndrome, has anybody else actually done this comparison? Is the HE6 SEV2 the bargain of the century at around a tenth of the price of the Susvaras or is the Susvara the most overhyped headphone in the world? I am leaning towards the former but any other views?

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #16,418 of 25,788
Recently acquired a pair of Susvaras and did some back to back comparisons with my HE6 SEV2 using exactly the same chain including cables. The amp is an NCore NC502MP directly to speaker terminals so the headphones are more than adequately powered and the sound is very neutral. The upshot of this is I can't tell them apart blind! I am probably being controversial here but in the interest of "Emperors new clothes" syndrome, has anybody else actually done this comparison? Is the HE6 SEV2 the bargain of the century at around a tenth of the price of the Susvaras or is the Susvara the most overhyped headphone in the world? I am leaning towards the former but any other views?

I own the HE6 SE V2. And I am quite certain it is one of the least hyped headphones out there.

For some reason, this has eluded the praise that it should get. It is a bargain at Adorama prices.

However, not being able to tell them apart is interesting, because they still sound very different.

Whether Susvara is the most overhyped or not, I quite liked it when I owned it. Still appreciate it.

Jun 28, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #16,419 of 25,788
I own the HE6 SE V2. And I am quite certain it is one of the least hyped headphones out there.

For some reason, this has eluded the praise that it should get. It is a bargain at Adorama prices.

However, not being able to tell them apart is interesting, because they still sound very different.

Whether Susvara is the most overhyped or not, I quite liked it when I owned it. Still appreciate it.
Did you A/B them both on the same chain including cables to determine whether they sound very different? Audio memory is quite fickle?:)

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #16,422 of 25,788

It is not wrong to not hear the difference. Just trust your ears. If you do not hear any difference, you have nothing more to desire. Just keep one of them and enjoy your music.

If not you can fall deeper into the rabbit hole by buying different DACs and Amps and trying them out with your two pairs of headphones. Continuing the endless audiophile upgrade journey like all of us here. There is no end game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back