HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 16, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #11,206 of 25,604
Of all the SS amps discussed is there one that unequivocally is the most transparent and best for treble sparkle, decay and sound stage. I don’t need visceral base just needs to be tight and controlled without bloat or in any way intrusive to the mids and high end. Using DAVE and upscaler.
I would suggest the Chord Speaker Amps i.e. the newer Etude or Ultima 6 or the older Mezzo 50, 75 or 140. They pair great with the Chord DAVE & M Scaler.

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #11,207 of 25,604
So would you say the 13R is more tube like? If you are not a bass head would the 13R be a good compromise?
13R sounded more like a SET Tube amp more than my SET tube amp at the time lol.... so to my ears this is accurate. Works perfect for me since I am not into the sharp, analytical sound, YMMV if you're looking for something else.

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #11,208 of 25,604
Slightly off topic, I'm trying to trade my Arya's now as I have the Susvaras. What would be a complimentary headphone to the Susys around the used price of the Aryas. I wouldnt mind paying a bit extra.

So far I received offers for ZMF Aeolus, Focal Clears, Stellia, Utopia, LCD X 2021, IER-Z1R, HD800, MDR-Z1R ....

I'd like to find something with slam and that excels in rock ... or something more forward to contrast the Susvaras ... I feel most people here use the 1266 TC as the complementary headphone .... thanks for any info ...

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #11,209 of 25,604
Slightly off topic, I'm trying to trade my Arya's now as I have the Susvaras. What would be a complimentary headphone to the Susys around the used price of the Aryas. I wouldnt mind paying a bit extra.

So far I received offers for ZMF Aeolus, Focal Clears, Stellia, Utopia, LCD X 2021, IER-Z1R, HD800, MDR-Z1R ....

I'd like to find something with slam and that excels in rock ... or something more forward to contrast the Susvaras ... I feel most people here use the 1266 TC as the complementary headphone .... thanks for any info ...

If you are looking extremely dynamic, fast, and forward utopia would be my pick for sure, but they can be kinda source picky and don't have great timbre.

Edit: TT2 works well for utopia so no worries there. I do think they realy take off with tubes though in terms of future upgrades.

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #11,211 of 25,604
Has anyone had a chance to use the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos with the Susvara?

https://ferrum.audio/oor-hypsos/

I know someone that has one and love the hell out of the stack but his only frame of reference is a raggy v1 unfortunately so no real idea how it stacks up against similarly priced amps. @GoldenOne hopefully will get one in for review and be able to compaire to ahb2 but who knows on time frame there (and I dont think its set in stone anyways)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #11,214 of 25,604
13R sounded more like a SET Tube amp more than my SET tube amp at the time lol.... so to my ears this is accurate. Works perfect for me since I am not into the sharp, analytical sound, YMMV if you're looking for something else.
I think the 13r is literally a perfect match for the susvara which I have heard with numerous other amps....

Sep 16, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #11,215 of 25,604
New member of the Susvara club here. Picked up a Prion 4s cable with it also. Having the Superconductor on the TC and having owned the Lazuli Ref before I must say the Prion 4 is head and shoulders above those ergonomically (even at 8ft). Now to letting the burn in and the brain burn commence. Having only had the Abyss TC and LCD i4 in the house for the last 2 years I think the sound of the Sus is going to be quite an adjustment from the Abyss. Using the Formula S and Powerman currently to drive them but if the Sus stay in the stable will prob pickup a Bakoon/Enlium down the line. And of course the Abyss is not going anywhere :) .

Attachments

• Sus.jpg
    Sus.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #11,216 of 25,604

Utopia

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #11,217 of 25,604
New member of the Susvara club here. Picked up a Prion 4s cable with it also. Having the Superconductor on the TC and having owned the Lazuli Ref before I must say the Prion 4 is head and shoulders above those ergonomically (even at 8ft). Now to letting the burn in and the brain burn commence. Having only had the Abyss TC and LCD i4 in the house for the last 2 years I think the sound of the Sus is going to be quite an adjustment from the Abyss. Using the Formula S and Powerman currently to drive them but if the Sus stay in the stable will prob pickup a Bakoon/Enlium down the line. And of course the Abyss is not going anywhere :) .
What part of the sound signature do you need to get used to? Sounds too laid back?

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #11,218 of 25,604
What part of the sound signature do you need to get used to? Sounds too laid back?
Yeah it is alot more subtle than the TC. Which is kind of what I wanted but it is not as immediately impressive as the TC. I spent some hours with the Susvara last night and there is alot of nuance to the sound and vocals can sound very emotive. It is just not as bombastic as the TC so it is an adjustment for the ears. Well they are my initial thoughts anyway, that may well change overtime.

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #11,219 of 25,604
as this board will tell you amping is more important with the susvara than almost any other HP..I actually sold my first susvara and thank goodness I bought it back in time and have come to absolutely love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back