HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 3, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #7,876 of 25,597
scales to infinity.

6le7jp.gif

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #7,879 of 25,597
scales to infinity

And beyond 😊

On another note, sas anyone ever compared Susvara to these headphones: LCD-4z (newer version w/ copper mesh), D8000 Pro and Solitaire P? I’m looking to get a complimentary headphone with different flavor to Susvara.

I’d also like to share my experience with the Lumin T2 that I‘ve been using the past two weeks (if I’m not mistaken it was @thecrow who asked me to provide impressions) and I’m pairing it with Lumin L1 server & TWL Digital American power cord. For me the T2 has literally transformed Susvara to a whole new level. The soundstage has expanded immensely with incredible layering, depth and width. I also notice that the bass hits a lot harder than before with incredible detail. What surprises me is that despite using ESS chips, the T2 & Susvara sounds very analog and natural yet incredibly dynamic. It makes me wondering what the Lumin X1 will bring to the table 😅 and btw, this is still using Burson Soloist 3XP amp as the Bakoon is still in transit in Singapore (hopefully next week it will arrive here). I hope it will bring another level of improvement to Susvara.

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #7,880 of 25,597
And beyond 😊

On another note, sas anyone ever compared Susvara to these headphones: LCD-4z (newer version w/ copper mesh), D8000 Pro and Solitaire P? I’m looking to get a complimentary headphone with different flavor to Susvara.

I’d also like to share my experience with the Lumin T2 that I‘ve been using the past two weeks (if I’m not mistaken it was @thecrow who asked me to provide impressions) and I’m pairing it with Lumin L1 server & TWL Digital American power cord. For me the T2 has literally transformed Susvara to a whole new level. The soundstage has expanded immensely with incredible layering, depth and width. I also notice that the bass hits a lot harder than before with incredible detail. What surprises me is that despite using ESS chips, the T2 & Susvara sounds very analog and natural yet incredibly dynamic. It makes me wondering what the Lumin X1 will bring to the table 😅 and btw, this is still using Burson Soloist 3XP amp as the Bakoon is still in transit in Singapore (hopefully next week it will arrive here). I hope it will bring another level of improvement to Susvara.
I used to have a 4z (the newer copper version). It's nothing compared to the Susvaras. It's warmer I guess, but sounds veiled in comparison. I sold them.

The ultimate complimentary headphone to the Susvaras is the Abyss AB 1266 Phi TCs. I have some Solitaire Ps coming in sometime (they've been delayed forever. Maybe I'll get them this month....probably not though :deadhorse: ). I'll do some comparisons once they arrive.

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #7,881 of 25,597
I used to have a 4z (the newer copper version). It's nothing compared to the Susvaras. It's warmer I guess, but sounds veiled in comparison. I sold them.

The ultimate complimentary headphone to the Susvaras is the Abyss AB 1266 Phi TCs. I have some Solitaire Ps coming in sometime (they've been delayed forever. Maybe I'll get them this month....probably not though :deadhorse: ). I'll do some comparisons once they arrive.
Thanks! Yeah I did consider the TC but not really fancy the form factor 😊 plus I’m a bit sensitive to treble so probably looking for something that’s not as detailed as TC.

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #7,882 of 25,597

spot on!

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #7,883 of 25,597
And beyond 😊

Yes it was me - Thanks for that

i’ve ended up ordering an aries g1.
i’ll be receiving it in a week and a half.

though the lumin t2 may be better, and there is the n100 option at a price point comparable to the aries g1, the wifi option of the aries will give me more versatility re how i can use it, especially as my intro to dedicated streamers.

Apr 3, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #7,884 of 25,597
Yes it was me - Thanks for that

i’ve ended up ordering an aries g1.
i’ll be receiving it in a week and a half.

though the lumin t2 may be better, and there is the n100 option at a price point comparable to the aries g1, the wifi option of the aries will give me more versatility re how i can use it, especially as my intro to dedicated streamers.
Great! I use a wifi extender to get the signal from my living room to my bedroom, and then connected the extender’s ethernet port to T2, so in a way the T2 is using a wifi connection 😊

Apr 3, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #7,885 of 25,597
Great! I use a wifi extender to get the signal from my living room to my bedroom, and then connected the extender’s ethernet port to T2, so in a way the T2 is using a wifi connection 😊
I considered that option too :)
but i managed to get a price i was happy with for the aries, it has a lot of digital outputs and is roon ready if i want to go down that path later so it ticked a lot of boxes for me.
though i have read a number of comments saying that at rrp the aries g1 is a bit overpriced (arguably)

i’m looking forward to hear what the aries will bring versus my 2012 imac (NOT ssd drive)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #7,886 of 25,597
Whats the best way to work out if a stereo amp is too powerful for the susvara? I'm guessing 200 watts 8 ohms 400 watts 4 ohms is too much? Lol

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #7,888 of 25,597
Whats the best way to work out if a stereo amp is too powerful for the susvara? I'm guessing 200 watts 8 ohms 400 watts 4 ohms is too much? Lol

This site has a nice guide: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/power-amp-adapter/

snippet:

On the next columns you can see which power can be achieved when the amp is turned up fully without reaching clipping levels. This is given for the most common headphone impedances. Green cells show the headphone with that specific impedance can be connected directly to the speaker terminals and will give no risk of drivers being damaged by too much power, the orange cells show the upper range of the power ratings of the most common headphones. the red cells show the headphones with these impedances should not be connected to the output terminals directly as there is a serious risk of drivers being burned/damaged/blown

1617511319963.png

This is just guidance, but red basically means, be careful with volume.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #7,889 of 25,597
Does the Athena allow to set a volume-limit? This is such a useful feature when amping the Susvara, it is just too easy to overload it.

It doesn't have a feature to allow a volume limit. (oddly) it has 0 to 60 on the volume knob. So I set my dac volume around 60, and listen with the athena volume around 38, with comfortable listening from 33 onwards up to 44 or so.

The Athena is 0db gain. I emailed Wildism HK about the Holo Audio Serene to ask the pre amp gain value but never got a reply. I also asked about the Kinki p7 pre amp (also from the same distributor Vinshine), but that pre has a gain of +20dB.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #7,890 of 25,597

Users who are viewing this thread

Back