HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 3, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #6,481 of 25,550
I don't think susvara is brighter than Stellia. When I tried Empyrean , I felt music sounded veiled. Susvara is probably the most balanced headphone I tried. It does require a lot of power. I am running Ampandsound 's Nautalis. Some members suggest speaker amps.()
Yes 100% agree with you Dipesh on the Empy and Susvara.

Never heard the Susvara to be bright or forward sounding with the mids and highs with any music genres.

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #6,482 of 25,550
So my friend on our discord still finds Susvara not good. She complains its very bight and forward and actually prefers empyrean and stellia. Is this a sign that susvara is underpowered? She is using top a90.
Is she using the balanced out?
If so then the issue is not beim underpowered.

The only time I heard someone refer to the Susvara being bright Was when he fed his Wa33 a hot Signal. Maybe something similar happened here.

And then there is still the possibility, that she simply prefers the other headphones.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #6,483 of 25,550
After some more listening, I think I will keep using the Dekoni pads. I like the feel of the leather especially with longer sessions; smooth and cool on the face. As the sponge compresses less, the clamp is a bit more than stock. Also, i quite like the presentation ie a bit less intimate and more airy/open. The bass sounds tighter, still extends down as low, but is slightly lesser in amount; this is more apparent with the Milo Reference but not as obvious on the WA33. I can live with the slightly reduced bass, given I enjoy the rest of what the pads bring to the table.

They're worth a try.

*edit
I forgot to mention, somehow with the Dekoni pads, the music layering is more apparent and I'm hearing better imaging/placement.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #6,484 of 25,550
After some more listening, I think I will keep using the Dekoni pads. I like the feel of the leather especially with longer sessions; smooth and cool on the face. As the sponge compresses less, the clamp is a bit more than stock. Also, i quite like the presentation ie a bit less intimate and more airy/open. The bass sounds tighter, still extends down as low, but is slightly lesser in amount; this is more apparent with the Milo Reference but not as obvious on the WA33. I can live with the slightly reduced bass, given I enjoy the rest of what the pads bring to the table.

They're worth a try.

*edit
I forgot to mention, somehow with the Dekoni pads, the music layering is more apparent and I'm hearing better imaging/placement.
I also received them. Installation was very easy, fortunately. I am on the fence about how I like them. They are somewhat deeper than stock, but I had hoped for a bigger difference. Not sure yet which I prefer in terms of sound, will do some switching back and forth.

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,485 of 25,550
So my friend on our discord still finds Susvara not good. She complains its very bight and forward and actually prefers empyrean and stellia. Is this a sign that susvara is underpowered? She is using top a90.

It's always tricky to get system synergy. i built my setup specifically for my Susvara, but even then there are times my system did sound bright with my Susvara (even with my XP-12/XA25). This happened after I upgraded from my Spring KTE to my May KTE. I was using a Wireworld Platinum Eclipse interconnect between DAC and pre which was a revelation with the Spring KTE, but was too bright for my taste with the more neutral May (I ended up solving this by swapping in a Norne S4 interconnect, also silver). So it's hard to say where her issue might be specifically.

She likes Empy and 1266, but finds Susvara bright. From everything I've read, I don't think I would like 1266 because of it's FR in the upper ranges. From what others have said about Empy, it sounds veiled compared to Susvara; if she's not valuing the detail (and possibly microdynamics, timbre) from the Susvara, then maybe it's just not a good fit for her preferences. There is no perfect headphone that works for everyone. We each have our own preferences and hear in our own way, so it may just come down to that.

I'd also add, that I don't use my Susvara for everything I listen to. I prefer it for vocal, acoustic, intstrumental, but will use my EQ'd LCD-4 for more bass dependent genres (esp. if they are also bright crappy recordings). I don't recall her mentioning what kind of music she listens to, so that might also be a factor (e.g. if you're looking for bass slam, then you probably won't pick a Susvara over a 1266).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #6,486 of 25,550
It's always tricky to get system synergy. i built my setup specifically for my Susvara, but even then there are times my system did sound bright with my Susvara (even with my XP-12/XA25). This happened after I upgraded from my Spring KTE to my May KTE. I was using a Wireworld Platinum Eclipse interconnect between DAC and pre which was a revelation with the Spring KTE, but was too bright for my taste with the more neutral May (I ended up solving this by swapping in a Norne S4 interconnect, also silver). So it's hard to say where her issue might be specifically.

She likes Empy and 1266, but finds Susvara bright. From everything I've read, I don't think I would like 1266 because of it's FR in the upper ranges. From what others have said about Empy, it sounds veiled compared to Susvara; if she's not valuing the detail (and possibly microdynamics, timbre) from the Susvara, then maybe it's just not a good fit for her preferences. There is no perfect headphone that works for everyone. We each have our own preferences and hear in our own way, so it may just come down to that.

I'd also add, that I don't use my Susvara for everything I listen to. I prefer it for vocal, acoustic, intstrumental, but will use my EQ'd LCD-4 for more bass dependent genres (esp. if they are also bright crappy recordings). I don't recall her mentioning what kind of music she listens to, so that might also be a factor (e.g. if you're looking for bass slam, then you probably won't pick a Susvara over a 1266).
I love Empyrean sound, to my ears it's like photography in sepia.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #6,487 of 25,550

They're worth a try.

*edit
do you have link to the site where I can buy the those dekoni pads ?
Thank you

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #6,492 of 25,550
A friend of mine on our sonic visions discord tried susvara with topping A90 and was really disappointed (felt it wasnt much better than empyrean). Sad.

I was looking forward to her being blown away.

That's too bad. I found the A90 worked great with the Susvara's.

The only thing I found was that the treble was a little shouty...but...with more break-in the A90 seemed tame that unpleasant treble.

I guess the other question is, what DAC/source was being used?

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #6,493 of 25,550
I think they had between 2500 to 3500 hours in total, but it's hard to say.

Top class burn-in is all I can say :D

I love Empyrean sound, to my ears it's like photography in sepia.

I can easily agree with this. Very picturesque and enjoyable sound profile, if I may say so.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 3, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #6,494 of 25,550
IEM's are my thing.. and I really wanted to buy a Susvara just for the experience;

But really I was confused ....

Do I need a headphone amp (when I have an old yamaha speaker amp with a headphone socket).

In the end today I bought a new mountain bike for the price of the Susvara which i really want to try....

https://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/2021-alpine-trail-e2

Life is a compromise.

My mantra-m7 cost me GBP4k but I'm not getting much use out of that at the moment....

Thanks for the companionship but keep it real (I was thinking most of the grown ups are here before I get my head bitten off) ...

My iems and this website have very much contributed to my sanity over the last 12 months ....

Thanks for being here for me.

But you do have some weirdos in your ranks..

(but who the **** am I to tell you to get out and do more ...?)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #6,495 of 25,550
That's too bad. I found the A90 worked great with the Susvara's.

The only thing I found was that the treble was a little shouty...but...with more break-in the A90 seemed tame that unpleasant treble.

I guess the other question is, what DAC/source was being used?
the topping amp is nice to have as a spare or to travel with...if one owns a 6K TOTL HP I do think a better amp is in order but whatever works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back