HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 30, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #6,451 of 25,604
Now that you have devised the CC trick to remove / install pads, snapping off the tabs may not be a concern. Glad to hear that going back to the stock confirmed that you want to stay with the Dekoni pads.

Jan 30, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #6,452 of 25,604
I'm really not sure how much I'll use this storage case but I tend to put my hp away after listening sessions and the OEM case was not a good choice for daily use.

This is a Pelican Storm model iM2100 with their new (?) easy to open 'press and pull' latches.

IMG_3981.jpg

Jan 30, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #6,453 of 25,604
Thanks for sharing the EQ. I will give it a try once my sotm streamer comes back from a clock input upgrade. I use it as my hqplayer naa.

Is there a reason why u don't use DSD upsampling? I really enjoyed dsd 128 using ext2 filter and asdm7ec. The susvara sounded really good with these settings. I find dsd takes a little bit of edge off the top end.

Just spend more time trying out the DSD settings you suggested, also with the Sinc-L filter. I now better understand why so many love DSD: seems a bit more 'musical', less grainy, richer in tonality/timbre, more body.

Even though the noise floor is raised by the additional -6db, DSD is an very interesting option, also for me. Doing comparisons volume matched currently (by adding -6db for the PCM signal), still learning and trying to be objective as possible: bias is a thing, I assume DSD is more smoother, so I tend to hear this :). I suspect I will be tinkering with HQplayer for a while, it takes time to understand and appreciate the differences, and there are so many options.

Most importantly, with HQplayer upsampling is worth while improvement for Susvara owners, but even more because with Roon's 64bit floating precision EQ is so transparent to the original source. It takes time and effort, but I find it amazing how close to true 'perfection' we can tune the Susvara to our taste.

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #6,454 of 25,604
That's how it's supposed to sound, he was half dead when he recorded that concert. (rim shot!)
He's was half dead for fifty years before he tried the real thing. "You Want it Darker" was even closer and "Thanks for the Dance" was literally posthumous.
Seriously, I'm surprised at your observations. I'm not feeling like these Dekoni pads are damping anything anywhere in the frequency spectrum. They're keepers for me.
Different strokes. The pads were gifted and have a new home where they will be loved (I hope). - Lee

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #6,455 of 25,604
I found a neat trick to removing the pads very easily, just slide a credit card below the pad and push against the tab, they pop right out. Use same method to put back on.
Neat trick indeed. If you find your thinnest card too thick even after using it to buy the Susvaras, These plastic cards from iFixIt are made for the purpose and work well.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #6,458 of 25,604
A friend of mine on our sonic visions discord tried susvara with topping A90 and was really disappointed (felt it wasnt much better than empyrean). Sad.

I was looking forward to her being blown away.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #6,460 of 25,604
A friend of mine on our sonic visions discord tried susvara with topping A90 and was really disappointed (felt it wasnt much better than empyrean). Sad.

Wow, that's surprising to me coming from having the Empy for the past 1 1/2 years as my primary hp. IMO they are SO different but then again we all hear differently.

Just last week my GF tried the Empy, Verite open and Susvara. She went into it thinking that she would not hear any difference. She was less than 10 seconds into a Dire Strights tune she knew well and I could see from the look on her face that she had never this song so clearly. She tried the VO and Empy and thought they sounded pretty nice too but was shocked at the detail and clarity of the Susvara! It was powered by a TT2 and Bigger Ben amp, not the A90 however.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #6,461 of 25,604

Well it may not be the fault of the Topping at all, if that is meant to be the takeaway from your friend's experience. Sometimes, the end result also depends on other components in the chain, the music one is listening to, and even the listening practices of a particular listener. It has taken me a few months to learn to appreciate the special graces of the Susvara, and identify what sets it apart from the HeKSE, which I also adore. The distinctions between the two now appear bigger and more striking than they did at the beginning, when the susvara first arrived.

My rigs are most likely different from your friend's, but I do have the A90, and while I would not necessarily call it "superlative" or "exceptionally mind-blowing" with the Susvara, as compared to other amps I also use, I have not personally found it to be disappointing at all. I would personally call it a particularly decent performer, especially at its price-point, but that is probably just me... Just saying. :slight_smile: :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #6,462 of 25,604
it takes time to really learn to appreciate better equipment...there are so many variables at work...obviously the music you listen to ...the volume...the source etc.....gotta live with it for a while

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #6,463 of 25,604
She listened to abyss TC on the A90 and was shocked and blown away and thought it sounded different and in many ways better than anything she has (stellia, hd800S, empy, radiance). But Susvara was a massive disappointment for her and its a used unit thats been run in also. I am really surprised given how many ppl here and indeed other people in the discord who own susvara love it.

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #6,464 of 25,604
She listened to abyss TC on the A90 and was shocked and blown away and thought it sounded different and in many ways better than anything she has (stellia, hd800S, empy, radiance). But Susvara was a massive disappointment for her and its a used unit thats been run in also. I am really surprised given how many ppl here and indeed other people in the discord who own susvara love it.
Maybe she just doesn't like the sonic signature of the Susvara. Maybe the A90 isn't up to showing it in its best light (I've never heard that amp, so just speculating). Why would one person's reaction to any piece of audio equipment make you wonder why scores of other people love it?

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #6,465 of 25,604
That does make sense to me in a couple ways. The 1266 TC's are more of an immediate change and instantly apparent, and sound unlike most other headphones. The Susvara are more of a "conventional" headphone experience, albeit an extremely refined one. The Susvara takes a bit more time to appreciate what its all about. Whilst the A90 maybe isn't the "best" amp for the Susvara, I would think it would let the person know what the Susvara is like, so I'm not sure that would factor in to their feelings too much.

It could just be the Susvara isn't for them, which is certainly possible as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back