HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #6,331 of 25,550
I have the Dave and mScaler for a few more days. Will do some testing before I return them. But from a short trial a few days ago, my preference was dave+phoenix > dave alone.

I have not yet tried:
Dave+phoenix vs Dave/mscaler
Phoenix+mscaler+Dave

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #6,332 of 25,550
I have the Dave and mScaler for a few more days. Will do some testing before I return them. But from a short trial a few days ago, my preference was dave+phoenix > dave alone.

I have not yet tried:
Dave+phoenix vs Dave/mscaler
Phoenix+mscaler+Dave
ummm
I have great opportunity to get one of these at a great price. Trying to decide

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #6,333 of 25,550
That’s a difficult question. I have a Dave, M-scaler, Zenith Mk3, and the Phoenix. Gun to head, I’m choosing the Phoenix.

However, the m-scaler is great. My dealer thought that if you have the Phoenix, you don’t need the m-scaler (I don’t necessarily think that way though). On the other hand, Chord folks (Rob) think the Phoenix is unnecessary and the m-scaler is the way to go. So, everybody is all over the place...hahaha

Sorry, I know that’s not much help

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #6,335 of 25,550
...Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads on my Susvara yesterday as well!
Detail retrieval, previously outstanding, seemed to increase to otherworldly.
Definitely agreeing with this, noticeably better...these are really worth trying. I have been noticing having to turn the volume down, so maybe a bit too much detail. On the other hand, I could definitely use the encouragement to turn down the volume and this gives me more detail at less volume, so maybe a good trade-off.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #6,336 of 25,550
Definitely agreeing with this, noticeably better...these are really worth trying. I have been noticing having to turn the volume down, so maybe a bit too much detail. On the other hand, I could definitely use the encouragement to turn down the volume and this gives me more detail at less volume, so maybe a good trade-off.
NICE! Oh well, the cost of pads is pocket change compared to most anything audio.

Too bad, for a big $ hp, HM didn't use a better system for attaching the pads.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #6,339 of 25,550
The best way to fix USB is to kick it to the curb. The phoenix may indeed rise from the ashes. But, if no ashes, then no Phoenix.

Enter RedNet, i2S, or aes/ebu.
Totally agree with that

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #6,340 of 25,550
The best way to fix USB is to kick it to the curb. The phoenix may indeed rise from the ashes. But, if no ashes, then no Phoenix.

Enter RedNet, i2S, or aes/ebu.
Or buy a DAC that implements it well. The amount of money and hand-wringing that gets expended on "fixing USB" kind of blows my mind. It can sound absolutely glorious with zero added bells or whistles, as in my current system.

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #6,341 of 25,550
Finally got my Elite Velour pads today. I'll refer to them as "EV" to make it easier on me.

I believe someone asked for pictures of the attachment rings:

2 - UjYEh0e.jpg1 - aPgQwhL.jpg
They seem to be relatively sturdy, at least more so than the ones on stock pads.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preface:

To be honest, I don't use the stock pads since I don't like how they sound with them. I've been using a sort of Beyerdynamic pad that I don't remember where I got it from - all I remember is that they came with an old headphone I bought. I pulled out the stock pads yesterday and had a listen to give a better comparison between those and the Dekoni's. Pictures of the Beyer pads as a reference:

3 - haeZGwL.jpg4 - YnQvAJo.jpg
Yeah.. They're gross and beat-up. I cleaned them up with a lint fan sucking thingie but got lazy. If I knew where to get another pair of these pads, I would've done that.

First impressions:

Back to the Dekoni pads, simply put, they sound almost exactly like the Beyerdynamic pads that I use. I always thought the midrange sounded off with the stock pads since there's a large dip around 1.5 kHz and then the response rising back up around 3-4 kHz. The Dekoni EV is more linear and IMO tonally correct in the midrange, and so I think voices and guitars sound more natural. As for the bass, I'm not 100% final on my thoughts but I think they're a tad warmer or if anything is thicker in its texture though not in a boomy sort of way - could just be because the Dekoni EV uses a thicker foam with no perforations along the inside of the earpads (unlike the stock pads) and so the bass energy isn't absorbed into the pads (or at the very least, not as much). I think the treble is a tiny bit less "spicy."

I've made some measurements made on my MiniDSP EARS (HPN compensation). No smoothing was applied. Usual disclaimer: The MiniDSP EARS is not an industry standard tool. It's not particularly accurate in the treble and there's noticeable artifacts seen on almost all headphones I've measured around 3-5 kHz with weird dips and peaks. These should only be compared to other MiniDSP EARS measurements.

4 - uyA5kBu.jpg

Note: There is an imbalance with my Susvara in the treble. I don't really hear it in listening but it's been repeatable with different pads and re-seatings.

A comparison with the stock pads:
3 - uC4Rmef.jpg

Left side matched at 40Hz to better showcase the differences in the midrange and treble.

1 - 0hUjmF9.jpg

Right side matched at 40Hz to better showcase the differences in the midrange and treble.

For fun, here's how the Dekoni EV compares to the old Beyer pads I've been using:
2 - DvF5RM0.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with these pads. I was worried what I would do when my Beyer pads eventually gave out completely but these EV's seem to be just what I wanted.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #6,343 of 25,550
Finally got my Elite Velour pads today. I'll refer to them as "EV" to make it easier on me.

I believe someone asked for pictures of the attachment rings:

2 - UjYEh0e.jpg1 - aPgQwhL.jpg
They seem to be relatively sturdy, at least more so than the ones on stock pads.

Preface:

To be honest, I don't use the stock pads since I don't like how they sound with them. I've been using a sort of Beyerdynamic pad that I don't remember where I got it from - all I remember is that they came with an old headphone I bought. I pulled out the stock pads yesterday and had a listen to give a better comparison between those and the Dekoni's. Pictures of the Beyer pads as a reference:

3 - haeZGwL.jpg4 - YnQvAJo.jpg
Yeah.. They're gross and beat-up. I cleaned them up with a lint fan sucking thingie but got lazy. If I knew where to get another pair of these pads, I would've done that.

First impressions:

Back to the Dekoni pads, simply put, they sound almost exactly like the Beyerdynamic pads that I use. I always thought the midrange sounded off with the stock pads since there's a large dip around 1.5 kHz and then the response rising back up around 3-4 kHz. The Dekoni EV is more linear and IMO tonally correct in the midrange, and so I think voices and guitars sound more natural. As for the bass, I'm not 100% final on my thoughts but I think they're a tad warmer or if anything is thicker in its texture though not in a boomy sort of way - could just be because the Dekoni EV uses a thicker foam with no perforations along the inside of the earpads (unlike the stock pads) and so the bass energy isn't absorbed into the pads (or at the very least, not as much). I think the treble is a tiny bit less "spicy."

I've made some measurements made on my MiniDSP EARS (HPN compensation). No smoothing was applied. Usual disclaimer: The MiniDSP EARS is not an industry standard tool. It's not particularly accurate in the treble and there's noticeable artifacts seen on almost all headphones I've measured around 3-5 kHz with weird dips and peaks. These should only be compared to other MiniDSP EARS measurements.

4 - uyA5kBu.jpg
Note: There is an imbalance with my Susvara in the treble. I don't really hear it in listening but it's been repeatable with different pads and re-seatings.

A comparison with the stock pads:
3 - uC4Rmef.jpg
Left side matched at 40Hz to better showcase the differences in the midrange and treble.

1 - 0hUjmF9.jpg
Right side matched at 40Hz to better showcase the differences in the midrange and treble.

For fun, here's how the Dekoni EV compares to the old Beyer pads I've been using:
2 - DvF5RM0.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with these pads. I was worried what I would do when my Beyer pads eventually gave out completely but these EV's seem to be just what I wanted.

Your photo of the Dekoni earpad is very discouraging. It looks like the outer leather covering only goes over the plastic edge by <1/8" and it appears to be glued on. It looks like it will peel away very quickly in the same manner as happens with the stock HiFiMan Harmony earpads. In fact, it may be far worse because I can see black foam material, which may mean that the outer leather covering is not even glued to the plastic frame, but only glued to the foam. Am I correct? If I am correct - then what is firmly attaching the earpad's outer covering to the plastic frame?

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #6,345 of 25,550
Your photo of the Dekoni earpad is very discouraging. It looks like the outer leather covering only goes over the plastic edge by <1/8" and it appears to be glued on. It looks like it will peel away very quickly in the same manner as happens with the stock HiFiMan Harmony earpads. In fact, it may be far worse because I can see black foam material, which may mean that the outer leather covering is not even glued to the plastic frame, but only glued to the foam. Am I correct? If I am correct - then what is firmly attaching the earpad's outer covering to the plastic frame?
I just bought a couple different pair of the Dekoni pads. The pad material is definitely glued to the plastic frame. Dekoni warranties their pads for two years, and told me in writing they will replace them if they start to come apart within that window. That was good enough for me to pull the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back