HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #5,131 of 25,603
Thanks, nice collection by the way.
How are you liking the LCD-4 in comparison to the Susvaras and the 1266? I am thinking of the LCD-4 since I love warm and detailed. How bad is 4-8khz recession and the supposedly exaggerated air frequencies on the LCD-4?
I have no issues with frequency response of the LCD-4, using the Audeze EQ profile in Roon. I really like the headphone, but I find myself using it less, because Abyss TC and Susvara are so great. And the weight is an issue, certainly in comparison.

Update: listened to the LCD-4 again today. Yes, it is quite heavy, but it is also a great headphone. I am glad I own it, and it is here to stay. It is lush and warm, and offers elements that neither the Abyss nor the Susvara bring to the table.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #5,132 of 25,603
I have no issues with frequency response of the LCD-4, using the Audeze EQ profile in Roon. I really like the headphone, but I find myself using it less, because Abyss TC and Susvara are so great. And the weight is an issue, certainly in comparison.
Thanks, Matt.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #5,133 of 25,603
Any Susvara owners tried the Chord Hugo TT2 with the Susvara's both from the XLR outputs and the single 1/4" jack output ?

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #5,134 of 25,603
Any Susvara owners tried the Chord Hugo TT2 with the Susvara's both from the XLR outputs and the single 1/4" jack output ?

what do you need to know about this?

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #5,135 of 25,603
what do you need to know about this?
Hi PY034, Does the TT2 power the Susvara's enough to get a good performance from them ?

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #5,136 of 25,603
Hi PY034, Does the TT2 power the Susvara's enough to get a good performance from them ?

The susvara is a power hungry pair of cans.
IMO, the TT2 is able to drive the Susvara's bare minimum standard, I reckon the Susvara might work pretty well with a tube amp that have the sufficient juice to power it.
But I refused to explore that area as that can be a black hole, if you get what I mean.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #5,137 of 25,603
Tube amps that are able to properly power the Susvara are stratospherically expensive though they have produced some of the best sound I've heard from them. From what I've heard, I think that the Trafomatic Primavera, WA33 JPS Labs edition and the Riviera AIC10 are some quite nice options. However, I still prefer a good SS amp for the Susvara. My favorite amp is the SuSy Dynahi which absolutely grips the Susvara by its balls in terms of power and control.

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #5,138 of 25,603
The susvara is a power hungry pair of cans.
IMO, the TT2 is able to drive the Susvara's bare minimum standard, I reckon the Susvara might work pretty well with a tube amp that have the sufficient juice to power it.

Use the balanced outs, it's plenty of power. I think the TT2 outputs something like 18W RMS out of the balanced outs.

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #5,139 of 25,603
Use the balanced outs, it's plenty of power. I think the TT2 outputs something like 18W RMS out of the balanced outs.
18 watts! Wow.

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #5,141 of 25,603
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #5,143 of 25,603
2.5 watts nominal into the Susvara.
Thats not a lot for the Susvara ! Reading through this forum, looks like it needs more like 5W upwards ! I guess if the TT2 could drive the Susvara's (and I guess also the Abyss 1266's) to full potential a lot more people would have bought the TT2 just for this reason alone especially with the very good DAC.

Looks like if I really want the Susvara's I need to by a capable amp (or take a pun with my Chord Mezzo 140 Speaker Amp) to drive them and hopefully not taking too much away from my DAVE's characteristics and positive points ! What is going around in my head is spending a respectable sum of money to get a reasonably high quality and transparent source (M Scaler & DAVE) and also using high quality and transparent headphones i.e. Susvara only to put a Headphone Amp in the middle of the chain to lose that lovely transparency from the DAVE that the Susvara will not see !

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #5,144 of 25,603
Thats not a lot for the Susvara ! Reading through this forum, looks like it needs more like 5W upwards ! I guess if the TT2 could drive the Susvara's (and I guess also the Abyss 1266's) to full potential a lot more people would have bought the TT2 just for this reason alone especially with the very good DAC.

Looks like if I really want the Susvara's I need to by a capable amp (or take a pun with my Chord Mezzo 140 Speaker Amp) to drive them and hopefully not taking too much away from my DAVE's characteristics and positive points ! What is going around in my head is spending a respectable sum of money to get a reasonably high quality and transparent source (M Scaler & DAVE) and also using high quality and transparent headphones i.e. Susvara only to put a Headphone Amp in the middle of the chain to lose that lovely transparency from the DAVE that the Susvara will not see !
It depends where your reference line lies. 2w can drive either Susvara, Abyss, HE-6. However, you are simply limiting your dynamic factor and leaving yourself with limited headroom, i.e. it's only skimming the surface potential.

Even the often recommended 3-5w headamps -- GS-X, Formula S, AMP 13r are still limiting. Less so.

You should also consider how loud you like to listen, your dynamic range choice of music, etc.

5w should really be your bare minimum. Otherwise consider your costs > concessions naturally given with limited headamp design.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #5,145 of 25,603
It depends where your reference line lies. 2w can drive either Susvara, Abyss, HE-6. However, you are simply limiting your dynamic factor and leaving yourself with limited headroom, i.e. it's only skimming the surface potential.

Even the often recommended 3-5w headamps -- GS-X, Formula S, AMP 13r are still limiting. Less so.

You should also consider how loud you like to listen, your dynamic range choice of music, etc.

5w should really be your bare minimum. Otherwise consider your costs > concessions naturally given with limited headamp design.
This is a nice explanation, if you then also intend to use EQ for a bass boost or something, then you should aim for even more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back