HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #4,561 of 26,664
Just plugged these in. I’m at double the volume knob on the McIntosh for same volume as the TH900. Very detailed so far...

Also, what’s a good silver cable to get?
Norne Silvergarde S4

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #4,562 of 26,664
Jeff and others that have tried the susvaras with niimbus and v280/v281:

i am contemplating buying the niimbus us4. No chance to demo though. Big investment for me.

i like my v280 with my hekse and utopias. Prefer my empyreans with auralic taurus where the sound is less warm to the v280 (as a comparison). However all three headphones are fine with both, just different.

but when i demoed the susvara recently I definitely preferred the taurus over the v280. On specs the v280 has a bit more power than the taurus (loosely 3 v 2.5 w).

from memory, as i ended up focussing more on the tauru, i think the v280 may have been less open (ie Primarily mids or top end) or too weighted on the bottom end/mids. Again not 100% sure as i easily gravitated to the taurus.

but the susvara needs more power

so i am considering buying the niimbus purely because of the susvaras (and selling v280)

1) how would the niimbus with the susvara compare to the v280 with susvara? Do you think this would suit me?

2) i feel the utopias, hekse and empyreans would all work well with niimbus, but (if I don’t go with the susvara) is it worth spending 3x as much on the niimbus v what i would get for the v280 when only looking at these headphones (ie not susvara)

thanks in advance

I found the V280 hopelessly inadequate in terms of powering the Susvara. The Niimbus US4 is great.

Jeff.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #4,563 of 26,664
Hi,

Can anyone recommend me on which earpads would sound good with the Susvara? Should i get another copy of the original one from Hifiman or should I be looking somewhere else? Don't seem to be able to find any for the Susvara on Dekoni.

Thank you.

Zhiliang

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #4,564 of 26,664
Just plugged these in. I’m at double the volume knob on the McIntosh for same volume as the TH900. Very detailed so far...

It all depends on the price.....
To me the ultimate is the Axios AG but is very expensive.
I am having great results with the WireWorld Nano Platinum but I am not sure is they still in production.
Trevor from Norne Audio makes a great cable too.
I have not tried the one from Audio Sensibility but I have his Statement power cords and speaker cables in my two channel and really like them and good price.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #4,565 of 26,664
It all depends on the price.....
To me the ultimate is the Axios AG but is very expensive.
I am having great results with the WireWorld Nano Platinum but I am not sure is they still in production.
Trevor from Norne Audio makes a great cable too.
I have not tried the one from Audio Sensibility but I have his Statement power cords and speaker cables in my two channel and really like them and good price.
+1 for the Norne , i hate silver but i tried once his silver and it sound good, though i am a copper guy

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #4,566 of 26,664
I found the V280 hopelessly inadequate in terms of powering the Susvara. The Niimbus US4 is great.

Jeff.
Is there a fair bit more openness on the higher end and well balanced overall?

i find the v280 takes control of headphones (not susvara) with power and a bot of weight but i feel i need a bit more finesse to let susvara shine for my preferences

ps i found the v280 was great with lcd4, and better than taurus, due to v280 taking control and highlighting the mids and weight of sound and also keeping the higher treble potential peaks off the table by limiting them in a real good way

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #4,567 of 26,664

DHC Prion 4. It’s been on my Susvara’s since I got them. It’s expensive, but adds nothing and enhances everything at the same time. It’s an amazing cable to pair with the Susvara’s.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #4,569 of 26,664
I've been using the norne draug 3 with 3.5mm connectors. I haven't touched the stock cable yet

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #4,570 of 26,664
Is there a fair bit more openness on the higher end and well balanced overall?

i find the v280 takes control of headphones (not susvara) with power and a bot of weight but i feel i need a bit more finesse to let susvara shine for my preferences

ps i found the v280 was great with lcd4, and better than taurus, due to v280 taking control and highlighting the mids and weight of sound and also keeping the higher treble potential peaks off the table by limiting them in a real good way

Did you try the Moon 430HA at A2A?

That’s what I used to audition the Susvara and HE1K SE and it was fantastic.

I did think it reminded me of my V281 somewhat.

Something to consider at Numbus money maybe?

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #4,571 of 26,664
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #4,572 of 26,664
Did you try the Moon 430HA at A2A?

That’s what I used to audition the Susvara and HE1K SE and it was fantastic.

I did think it reminded me of my V281 somewhat.

Something to consider at Numbus money maybe?
I haven’t tried the ha430 for a long while. At minidisc. Thought it was ok but, at the time did not hugely impress me. And some reviews of it are not that impressive for me and my preferences for a hp amp only.

looking for that “special one”......more or less

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #4,573 of 26,664
Modest office setup.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 4.25.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 4.24.01 PM.png

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #4,575 of 26,664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back