HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 13, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #4,157 of 25,604
Bunch of Holo shills in here I see...
Kidding :D

I'm looking for an HE adapter if anyone wants to sell theirs please PM me!
Depending on your amp you might find you are better off without it.

On the AHB2 the HE adapter sounded sliiiightly veiled in comparison to running directly. Just running it straight off banana plugs now (Volume control done by a goldpoint attenuator)

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #4,158 of 25,604
Depending on your amp you might find you are better off without it.

On the AHB2 the HE adapter sounded sliiiightly veiled in comparison to running directly. Just running it straight off banana plugs now (Volume control done by a goldpoint attenuator)

From my short research I saw mentions that tube amps require the HE adapter but SS amps are safe and optimal running direct. Can anyone confirm? I'm looking to try it w/ a MC275 VI.

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #4,159 of 25,604
Spring 2 did have some upgrades over the spring 1. Afaik the dac module was revised. It wasn't just the USB implementation.

But the may takes everything to the extreme.

Dual mono, separate dual mono linear Psu, even better fully isolated USB implementation, one of the best PLL and jitter rejection systems in any dac period, and the dac itself both measures to an insane degree, and sounds absolutely beautiful.

Again, I don't want to sound like a shill, but this is one of those few products that just stands out as truly excellent.

I've yet to hear anything that competes with it.
Is yours level 1 or level 2?

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #4,160 of 25,604
Jul 13, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #4,161 of 25,604
From my short research I saw mentions that tube amps require the HE adapter but SS amps are safe and optimal running direct. Can anyone confirm? I'm looking to try it w/ a MC275 VI.

I think you are right. However, I have used the HE-Adapter and it did reduce sound quality a little bit (I didn't find it a huge deal.)

This might be worth a try instead?

https://ampsandsound.com/products/black-box-headphone-adapter

It is more expensive, but it might sound better than the HE Adapter? I don't know.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #4,162 of 25,604
Susvara straight on my MC225, granted its not quite as powerful as the 275 :)

Also have 2 HE adaptor box (one modded), and prefer not using them. Sadly not selling either, but i don’t recommend it, it’s a resistance. You can change resistors to change tonality based on impedence though..

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 13, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #4,163 of 25,604
I think you are right. However, I have used the HE-Adapter and it did reduce sound quality a little bit (I didn't find it a huge deal.)

This might be worth a try instead?

https://ampsandsound.com/products/black-box-headphone-adapter

It is more expensive, but it might sound better than the HE Adapter? I don't know.
Susvara straight on my MC225, granted its not quite as powerful as the 275 :)

Also have 2 HE adaptor box (one modded), and prefer not using them. Sadly not selling either, but i don’t recommend it, it’s a resistance. You can change resistors to change tonality based on impedence though..

Hmm interesting, thanks for the info!

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #4,166 of 25,604
Bunch of Holo shills in here I see...
Kidding :D

I'm looking for an HE adapter if anyone wants to sell theirs please PM me!

Diy'ed one myself based on Rob Robinette's resistor network box, way cheaper and more quality parts than the one from Hifiman. Still sounds good in general with a slight hiss with just the dummy load.
As others I still prefer SS running directly on the taps from my high current vintage speaker amp having a clean full bodied sound.

res_box.jpgres_box2.jpgres_box4.jpg

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #4,167 of 25,604
Diy'ed one myself based on Rob Robinette's resistor network box, way cheaper and more quality parts than the one from Hifiman. Still sounds good in general with a slight hiss with just the dummy load.
As others I still prefer SS running directly on the taps from my high current vintage speaker amp having a clean full bodied sound.

res_box.jpgres_box2.jpgres_box4.jpg
ohh a primaluna, how does it pair with the Susvara?

How do you like it in General?

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #4,168 of 25,604
ohh a primaluna, how does it pair with the Susvara?

How do you like it in General?

With the susvara its a bit thick in the lowend, a bit sluggish but analog sounding(tubey w/c i like). Narrow stage but with excellent depth, this is compared to my daily SS driver mission Cyrus 2 + now with PSX. What I like in general is the very sweet sounding mids/vocals it produces.

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #4,169 of 25,604
What is the difference between the one straight from KTE vs the Wildism one?
Kitsune and wildism are just different distributors.

Holo makes the dac. Kitsune and wildism are the retailers and also apply modifications.

On the may specifically they're basically identical. On the spring wildism offers the "wildism extreme edition" though which is basically level 4.

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #4,170 of 25,604
With the susvara its a bit thick in the lowend, a bit sluggish but analog sounding(tubey w/c i like). Narrow stage but with excellent depth, this is compared to my daily SS driver mission Cyrus 2 + now with PSX. What I like in general is the very sweet sounding mids/vocals it produces.
Thanks for the insights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back