HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 21, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #3,976 of 25,688
No, none i know of that stocks the kind of niche boutique-made audiophile gear that one normally discusses here. I live in Western Massachusetts, and do not know how far I'll need to drive to find a well-stocked dealership.

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #3,977 of 25,688
Understood, except that it is not always a matter of wealth, or of having more wealth, although, of course having money to purchase whatever one wants, whenever one wants would remove some significant problems, but as far as i know, that always generates others. Besides, I do not see this simply as a question of having the capacity to accumulate cans or audio gear in general.. That would be too simple, unfortunately. I found @DavidMahler 's "Battle of the Flagships" thread to be one of the most useful, when I first got on head-fi and was researching headphones... Thanks, David. However, I also knew that if I ever found myself surrounded by so many headphones and related gear, and they all belonged to me, I'd probably get turned off the whole audio gear thing, since it is the music, after all. which counts for me in the last resort, and I wouldn't want that to get lost in an entire army of cans, related gear, not to mention endless measurements, and head to head shootouts.... I guess, what I mean by this is that personal temperaments, idiosyncrasies, and of course, preferences, always need to be taken into account in such discussions, and the variables one encounters in these fields can be dauntingly unpredictable and surprising...

At this point, this is getting to be too philosophical at the risk of taking the thread off course, so I shall say this last thing to keep things simple, and hopefully, give this digression a rest. In the end, I am looking for a qualitative way of experiencing music, and a set of equipment that would make that experience possible, and also so satisfying that I would be content enjoying the music for several years with minimal upgrades and maintenance of the equipment, without feeling any undue pressure to consider other acquisitions in audio gear... This need not be some elusive unreachable goal... In some ways, I consider myself to be halfway along already, and the search itself can be quite thrilling sometimes too, and that, in itself, is not necessarily a bad thing...

You may be overthinking this... :D

No, none i know of that stocks the kind of niche boutique-made audiophile gear that one normally discusses here. I live in Western Massachusetts, and do not know how far I'll need to drive to find a well-stocked dealership.

Manhattan is a commutable distance from MA, Audio 46 is there and has every headphone. Well worth a day trip.

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #3,978 of 25,688
So what is someone in my position to do, in order to feel that I am also getting the best? I have the HeKse, and other lower tier HFM cans, as well as the Audeze LCD-4 and other lower tier Audeze cans. I have DACs and HPamps that have both the juice and finesse to bring the power, the glory, the ethereal, and you name it, out of the cans I currently own. And boy do I enjoy these cans, when I allow myself to forget all other distractions! Hell, sometimes I feel that with my Roon subscription, and a kitchen supplied with the appropriate groceries, I could survive two weeks of quarantine on a diet of audio nirvana with these cans and not miss a beat...

And yet, I always feel something important is missing from the whole audio experience. Ironically, that feeling is not produced by anything I am hearing from my rigs or my cans themselves. Frankly, I believe it arises from my frequent visits to forums like this one, where I get to hear about other people's experiences with such cans as the Susvara and the Abyss TC. It requires no magic to figure this one out : this is where the feeling of "something is missing" originates, even though, without ever having heard either the Susvara or the TC, I have no idea what exactly is missing from my experience, or whether the actual acquisition of either can would help to eliminate that feeling...My guess is that it won't, because there was a time, less than a decade ago, when the most "high-end" can in my arsenal was the Sennheiser Hd-600. Well, a lot of water (i.e the experience of other "high-end cans") has flowed under the proverbial bridge since then, and the feeling of "something is missing" is still there, which is why I am suspecting that, neither the Susvara nor the TC would eliminate it .

Following this line of thought to its own logical conclusion, the solution to this problem would appear to be simple : stop visiting audio forums such as head-fi! Stop reading about other examples of "the latest and the greatest," and concentrate on enjoying what you already have... Yes, but why does it sound so "easier said than done," and so unattractive?

I am saying all of this not to generate some silly polemics, or stir up any unnecessary trouble... I just want to know what hobbyists who have more experience than me would normally do under such circumstances. I have a strong feeling that other people too in the hobby have had similar thoughts at one time or the other (a kind of "mid-life crisis" or the headphone audio enthusiast!), and I would like to know what they did in order to continue allowing themselves to enjoy the hobby.

HE6 is a more rough and aggressive sounding headphone than the Susvara. HE6 is because of that pickier about good amp paring than the Susvara. The problem with HE6 has always been that its treble can be a bit rough and sharp sounding and has to be balanced with a dynamic but smooth amp. Susvara is much smoother than both HE6 and HE1000se so not as demanding in that regard. All good transparent headphones require good upstream gear to sound at their best thou and HE6 and Susvara need a more powerful amp, no doubt. I would qualify the rough/smooth difference like this.

Rough - HE6 >>> HE1000se >> Susvara - Smooth

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #3,979 of 25,688
You may be overthinking this... :D

Manhattan is a commutable distance from MA, Audio 46 is there and has every headphone. Well worth a day trip.

I disagree on both counts, but that only means we're approaching this issue from different perspectives, and probably have different ways of prioritizing things, so no harm done. I even think "different" is healthy or close, in these particular cases :relaxed:.

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #3,980 of 25,688
Rough - HE6 >>> HE1000se >> Susvara - Smooth

A spot on, I wouldn't put this any better.

I also think I we get spoiled by using really good gear. I was blown away by the sq, imaging, clarity and air of Susvara when I first heard them. Now that I have owned them for a while, I take high standard for granted.

We get used to luxury fast, but discomfort after stepping down is a part of the package :)

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 21, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #3,981 of 25,688
Has anyone tried Susvara with Moon 430HA? I’d be interested in comparisons with the Bakoon. I wasn’t hot on the Susvara/430HA combination when I owned it and went back to the HD800S.

Have both hooked up right now. Bakoon is smoother. 430HA is on the analytical side, can get etchy like the GSX2. Great amp though.

Jun 21, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #3,983 of 25,688
Wish Focal would provide us veteran Utopia owners with an "upgrade kit": carry case, cables, etc.
Have both hooked up right now. Bakoon is smoother. 430HA is on the analytical side, can get etchy like the GSX2. Great amp though.
I owned the 430 a while ago, plenty of power...versatile...I liked it

Jun 21, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #3,984 of 25,688
I owned the 430 a while ago, plenty of power...versatile...I liked it

Indeed, not bad for a circa 2015. Quite a powerhouse even by today's standards. Pretty good lookin' too.

_DSC7625.jpg

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #3,987 of 25,688
^ As I recall, the amp is fine, but if you get the version with built in DAC, the DAC is lacking.

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #3,990 of 25,688
Newbie here .. Browsing the thread, I wanted to know what the thread favorites are for the best headphone amps to drive Susvara. I am presently using Dave + MScaler and it is not enough meat on the bones for Susvara. I listen to alternative and classic rock and blues at times.

I am reading Solaris, Bakoon & Niimbus US4. Does anyone have comparisons between them or suggestions ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back