HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 14, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #3,391 of 25,603
I've always wondered what the Wells Audio Headtrip II sounded like. I've heard mixed things. Anybody ever try it?

http://www.wellsaudio.com/headtrip

Headtrip+2+front+right.jpg

I'm actually kind of interested in a solid state headphone amp to compliment my tube amp. So far, the Formula S/PowerMan, Benchmark HPA4, and Wells Audio Headtrip II are on my list. Time to do some research :spy:

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #3,392 of 25,603
I've always wondered what the Wells Audio Headtrip II sounded like. I've heard mixed things. Anybody ever try it?

I'm actually kind of interested in a solid state headphone amp to compliment my tube amp. So far, the Formula S/PowerMan, Benchmark HPA4, and Wells Audio Headtrip II are on my list. Time to do some research :spy:

Many times the grass is not really greener on the other side, we just see it from another angle.

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #3,394 of 25,603
i have a pathos inpol remix amp and it's my preferred amp with the susvara. the soundstage opens very nice with this amp and with a tube that matches your taste it's superb. i use siemens halske cca tubes. the pathos inpol remix is the 10watt speaker amp from pathos (1st version) and technical the same as the inpol ear but without headphone socket. you find this amp often for half of the new price because it's low power output and so it's a hard match to loudspeakers. support is 1st class from pathos, i even get the service manual for biasing the new tubes.

i'm sure the inpol ear is as good as mine, specs whise they are the same and inside the look like twins. i realy think from time to time to buy the inpol ear only because i like the inpol so mutch.

a smal step up would be the riviera aic10 but i heard from a owner that his amp has a smal noise and they can't fix it. imo the pathos is the better build amp. you should hear it once.

you find a german test of the aic10 with refering to the pathos inpol ear here:
https://musicalhead.de/2018/05/31/test-riviera-aic10/

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #3,395 of 25,603
i have a pathos inpol remix amp and it's my preferred amp with the susvara. the soundstage opens very nice with this amp and with a tube that matches your taste it's superb. i use siemens halske cca tubes. the pathos inpol remix is the 10watt speaker amp from pathos (1st version) and technical the same as the inpol ear but without headphone socket. you find this amp often for half of the new price because it's low power output and so it's a hard match to loudspeakers. support is 1st class from pathos, i even get the service manual for biasing the new tubes.

i'm sure the inpol ear is as good as mine, specs whise they are the same and inside the look like twins. i realy think from time to time to buy the inpol ear only because i like the inpol so mutch.

a smal step up would be the riviera aic10 but i heard from a owner that his amp has a smal noise and they can't fix it. imo the pathos is the better build amp. you should hear it once.

Thanks for the info, fortunately there is a pathos dealer here in my country. I would have to give them a try the remix and the ear :).

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #3,396 of 25,603

I've heard their regular power amp and it was a beast. If they make all their products like this monster, then that Headtrip II is solid. But is it good for Susvaras? Now that's something I'm not so sure.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Feb 19, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #3,397 of 25,603

I am more or less saving for the riviera aic 10, but I was not aware of the noise problem. This could be a real deal breaker for me.

Feb 19, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #3,398 of 25,603
Thanks jlbrach and Slim1970 for your comments!

The iFi Pro iCan is a great performer, and I like the combination with Susvara (I will reach two years with this combination in May :) ). I have been considering many amps, but no one could tell me for sure if it is just a side step (different sound flavor) for me or a clear step up. Soundaware P1 was my favorite because someone was claiming more details and superiority over the iFi iCan with Susvara. But I have finally ordered Benchmark HPA4 to serve as a headamp/preamp combo. The HPA4 has great measurements, reviews, and user reports. I will finally gladly asses iFi iCan vs. Benchmark HPA4 by myself.

Thanks for your impressions! I am back on head-fi after almost a year ... Still with Susvara and iFi Pro iCan. I am looking for an amp upgrade. My candidates: Soundaware P1, Niimbus, Benchmark HPA4.

I tend to buy the HPA4 because it will serve two duties at my home: As a headamp for my Susvara and as a preamp. The specs and measurements of HPA4 are great, as well as reviews and user reports (with Susvara included). But it is not possible to borrow it in my country.

The question is: How is HPA4 vs. iFi Pro iCan with Susvara? Is the upgrade to HPA4 worth (SQ-wise)?
the formula s/powerman combo is a wonderful amp combo.....made for the abyss it shines with the susvara as well IMHO....same power output as the HPA$ I believe..the Ifi Pro Can is a very underrated performer and unless you spend a fair bit of money hard to better
Completely agree, I kind of miss the one I use to own. It was very good with the Susvara's it just lack a little musicality to me. I'm preferring the Conductor 3X to it.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #3,399 of 25,603

I am more or less saving for the riviera aic 10, but I was not aware of the noise problem. This could be a real deal breaker for me.

Just for the records, I own a Riviera AIC-10 and listened to three of them including mine and I never found noise issues.
Also, I am in contact with other AIC-10 owners and none of them has reported this problem.

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #3,400 of 25,603
Just for the records, I own a Riviera AIC-10 and listened to three of them including mine and I never found noise issues.
Also, I am in contact with other AIC-10 owners and none of them has reported this problem.
Could it be sensitive phones only hear it? Or a noisy tube, simply swop the tube.

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #3,401 of 25,603

i would not take that as a point to not hear/test and if you like the amp to buy a riviera aic-10. i buyed my pathos 2nd hand because i like hybrid desing, best of both worlds. i thrust these few people that reviewed the aic-10 over longer times, so i often asked myself to buy one.

at the end some technical points as a diyer i'm not to happy with the riviera aic-10. one is connectors instead of solder joint in the small signal part, trafo not so good shielded, alps potentiometer, cheap hardware store plastic screw terminal for the trafo. these things are better in the pathos, solder joint in the small signal part, own compartment for the psu, ti pga2310 for volume control. at the same time that the riviera has resistors which are raised from the pcb that is remarkable, you don't see that often in commercial products, very nice.

but it's a bit unfair this comparison because i have the whole circuit diagram from the pathos vs some open pictures in the net from the riviera.

at the end the riviera can perform better then the pathos, one side is the build, the other the design. case work from the riviera is impressive but for me at the end the pathos for 1/2 of the price is the better deal. i simply miss the last perfection with the riviera that should be here for the price even these little things aren't a game changer for the sound of the amp. imo i'm certain changing the tubes on either amps change them a lot more then these small details.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #3,402 of 25,603
simply miss the last perfection with the riviera that should be here for the price even these little things aren't a game changer

I hear you. The difference between nicely and fabulously made hardware at times is subtle, but it's there and doesn't let go. Whether we like it or not, we take into account what our eyes tell us.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Feb 24, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #3,403 of 25,603
i would not take that as a point to not hear/test and if you like the amp to buy a riviera aic-10. i buyed my pathos 2nd hand because i like hybrid desing, best of both worlds. i thrust these few people that reviewed the aic-10 over longer times, so i often asked myself to buy one.

at the end some technical points as a diyer i'm not to happy with the riviera aic-10. one is connectors instead of solder joint in the small signal part, trafo not so good shielded, alps potentiometer, cheap hardware store plastic screw terminal for the trafo. these things are better in the pathos, solder joint in the small signal part, own compartment for the psu, ti pga2310 for volume control. at the same time that the riviera has resistors which are raised from the pcb that is remarkable, you don't see that often in commercial products, very nice.

but it's a bit unfair this comparison because i have the whole circuit diagram from the pathos vs some open pictures in the net from the riviera.

at the end the riviera can perform better then the pathos, one side is the build, the other the design. case work from the riviera is impressive but for me at the end the pathos for 1/2 of the price is the better deal. i simply miss the last perfection with the riviera that should be here for the price even these little things aren't a game changer for the sound of the amp. imo i'm certain changing the tubes on either amps change them a lot more then these small details.

Have you ever had a chance to take a look at the Woo 33 headphone amp?
If you have, do you mind sharing a few of your thoughts about this amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back