HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 3, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #1,501 of 25,671
You have Susvara in one location and 009S in another location? That's truly balla status. If I buy 009S on top of what I have, I'll be in a different location because my wife kicked me out.

My wife kicked me out a long time ago. Working on the GF kicking me out next...

On a brighter note. I've decided to return the MCT-80 universal transport. I'm just not going to use it. It's way too convenient to use the PC and iPhone instead. Makes sense to put the capital into a different toy, IMO.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #1,502 of 25,671
Those are for the analog outputs not headphone jacks. Would I have to get special cables then for the Susvara to utilize the analog output jacks?

9W is for the headphone jacks.

If you want 18W balanced you need a dual 3pin balanced connector, correct, but it has been confirmed to have the current require to drive headphones and speakers directly.

Edit: Strange, I just double checked the Chord website and they list 7.3W RMS for the SE output, not 9W that the designer has said. Hmmmmm.

Edit2: I’m blind as it’s actually 9V RMS and 7.3W SE.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #1,503 of 25,671
18w at 8ohm. Means about 9w at 16ohm. Or 2.88w at 50 ohm. Doesn't sound enough power for the Susvara. But enough for almost every other headphone out there.

Wonder why Hugo TT2 lists the power rating at 8ohm. Makes the power rating look big. But not useful for headphone. The common figure is 16 or 32ohm.

Many manufacturers will list the max power output, it’s marketing, but yes, obviously it will be less for higher Z loads.

Have you actually done the math for the Susvara to reach 110dB peaks (uncomfortable listening to be sure)? It won’t use 2.88W. I’d actually be interested if someone measured the power output from their preferred amp with the volume set to the level they listen to the Susvara at. That will be more telling than guesswork.

The sensitivity is the more important spec for drive ability and the impedance more or less dictates the balance between Current and Voltage required (less resistance=more Current required / more resistance=more Voltage required) at the headphone.

The math for the power required to drive the 60 Ohm, 83dB SPL/mW Susvara to 110dB peaks is:

9.75V / 162.5mA / 1584.38mW... well within the capability of the TT2 with lots of headroom. The ultracapacitors should actually be great with the Susvara given how low their sensitivity is for a headphone.

http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

Anyone who listens to louder peaks certainly likes to wince when they listen to music or is deaf.

I liked the Susvara when I heard it and would be interested in user reports with a TT2. The proof will be in the listening so I suppose we’ll have to wait for real world experience of the pairing.

Edit: Strange, I just double checked the Chord website and they list 7.3W RMS for the SE output, not 9W that the designer has said. Hmmmmm.

Edit2: I’m blind as it’s actually 9V RMS and 7.3W SE.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #1,504 of 25,671
Have you actually done the math for the Susvara to reach 110dB peaks (uncomfortable listening to be sure)? It won’t use 2.88W. I’d actually be interested if someone measured the power output from their preferred amp with the volume set to the level they listen to the Susvara at. That will be more telling than guesswork.
No I don't do exact calculation. Just rough guesswork. And some manufacturers exaggerate and others underrate the amp's power ratings.

I agree, the best would be to actually try it.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #1,505 of 25,671
I’ve only had it for three day now but the Wells Milo Reference amp is a great pairing with Susvara fed by DAVE. It’s amazing how much they open up when giving enough power. Imaging is amazing, and the sound stage is perfect. I just listed my HEKv2’s. No turning back now.
The choice has been made, awesome!

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #1,506 of 25,671
Dave is a great source for Susvara...

I am awaiting the HE-adapter soon. I will try my speaker amps and I look forward especially to my Leben CS600 speaker outs. But I am a bit confused about the impedance output of the Leben. The speaker output impedance is selectable by a switch to 4/6/8/16 Ohms. Which impedance should I choose for the HE-adapter and Susvara?

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,507 of 25,671
Dave is a great source for Susvara...

I am awaiting the HE-adapter soon. I will try my speaker amps and I look forward especially to my Leben CS600 speaker outs. But I am a bit confused about the impedance output of the Leben. The speaker output impedance is selectable by a switch to 4/6/8/16 Ohms. Which impedance should I choose for the HE-adapter and Susvara?
I suggest to always start from the lowest. Though AFAIK, planars are not sensitive to output impedance like dynamics.

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #1,508 of 25,671
i myself set it to 16 ohms, that being said i am using RCA, since Hugo 2 --> M725, which means less power to begin with. waiting for Hugo TT 2.

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,509 of 25,671
get a violectric 281,drives the susvara with ease and sounds fantastic....relatively cheap......

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #1,510 of 25,671
I look closely at this vs. Focal Utopia. A fellow member sent me a link on portable carrying case. The Focal box is too big. And I only use it for portable. Knowing that, I am willing to get the Focal w/ a 3rd party carrying case (in which Focal is not foldable) than this headphone. I have seen far too many manufacturer's defects on products made in china. They are not proud of their workmanship, unlike EU countries' workmanship.

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #1,511 of 25,671
Sorry for a kinda dull question. But... Susvara + a decent amp like the McIntosh MHA150, Chord DAVE or Hifiman EF-1000 would be a huge step up from HD800 with 2k USD amp sound-wise? I mean is it a huge step up sound-wise really? Or is it more about personal taste and sound signature than actual improvements? I mean those HD800 (had 2 of them) was a big investment back then. I might do that but just if it's like a huge step-up to Susvara. I don't like to pay like 12 000 USD in the long term just for characterstics or minimal improvements.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #1,512 of 25,671
Sorry for a kinda dull question. But... Susvara + a decent amp like the McIntosh MHA150, Chord DAVE or Hifiman EF-1000 would be a huge step up from HD800 with 2k USD amp sound-wise? I mean is it a huge step up sound-wise really? Or is it more about personal taste and sound signature than actual improvements? I mean those HD800 (had 2 of them) was a big investment back then. I might do that but just if it's like a huge step-up to Susvara. I don't like to pay like 12 000 USD in the long term just for characterstics or minimal improvements.

Personally, I don’t hear much of a difference between amps as long as they’re built well (measure flat and have no electrical problems), so I would just pick something that is reliable, well-built, and can drive the Susvara sufficiently with decent overhead. But yes, the Susvara sounds a lot better than the 800S. I had both at the same time and sent back the 800S. I currently have the 820 and the Susvara sounds better than those as well...

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #1,513 of 25,671
It is not a dull question for sure. But a very valid one.

Please give it a listen first before you spend like $12k on anything. Try a $2-3k good tube amp with that HD800 and get an SDR mod. You'll hear for yourself. If you wanna go a bit further, get a cheap Schiit Loki to increase HD800 bass. Tell me yourself if Susvara is a huge step up from HD800, or even a step up at all.

Spend the difference in something more useful, other than audio. Get your wife/gf something good instead. Or travel.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #1,514 of 25,671
It is not a dull question for sure. But a very valid one.

Please give it a listen first before you spend like $12k on anything. Try a $2-3k good tube amp with that HD800 and get an SDR mod. You'll hear for yourself. If you wanna go a bit further, get a cheap Schiit Loki to increase HD800 bass. Tell me yourself if it is a huge step up, or even a step up at all.

Spend the difference in something more useful, other than audio. Get your wife/gf something good instead. Or travel.

To me the 1800 USD Asus Essence III (that I currently own) is a huge step up from the 300 USD Asus Xonar STU for HD800. I doubt the Loki sound better. HD800 requires a decent amp to sound good, else they sound flat and boring. That's my personal experience at least and I think a lot of people expect they can buy HD800 and get that "wow" feeling. So they charge it with their Iphone instead of i.e. WA Fireflies. Then they get disappointed and getting rid of them.

Personally, I don’t hear much of a difference between amps as long as they’re built well (measure flat and have no electrical problems), so I would just pick something that is reliable, well-built, and can drive the Susvara sufficiently with decent overhead. But yes, the Susvara sounds a lot better than the 800S. I had both at the same time and sent back the 800S. I currently have the 820 and the Susvara sounds better than those as well...

I tend to disagree. It's not just about power and built quality. It's also about dynamics and precision. Some amps also filter the sound, adding a warmer sound etc. Also I feel quite alone about disliking the HD800S. I didn't like the bass signature at all all so my choice went to the HD800. Since I tend to mostly listen to old-school progressive trance (i.e. early Paul van Dyk) the clinical signature of HD800 workout better. But I like almost any genre except trance that isn't new so I'm extremly open-minded. So if the the Susvara is a warmer sounding headphone it don't need to be a problem either. I love both Martin Logan electrostats and bass of the HD650.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #1,515 of 25,671
I should say, I meant solid state amps. Tubes of course can be flavored with different tubes...

I’d stay away from companies that intentionally alter the sound to have a house sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back