HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 7, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #14,161 of 25,658
This is gonna sound random and weird, but... the bass line in "The Rainbow Connection" is really satisfyingly rumbly on the Sus.

Feb 7, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #14,163 of 25,658
Feb 7, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #14,164 of 25,658
this guy who has monopolized all of the different threads saying all sorts of ridiculous things Is now telling us the susvara sounds best on a diablo?..a diablo?....kind of funny
It's not just a diablo, it's a diablo with NASA grade rubber feet. That adds like 2db of bass, everyone knows this. :ksc75smile:

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #14,165 of 25,658
I never said it cant drive the susvara...my iphone CAN drive the susvara...I love my dave and use it with various HP's but I simply can't enjoy the susvara with the dave and I think pretty much the consensus has been the same for some time...I wish I could drive all my HP's with the dave it would save me tons of money and I would love to retain the transparency..that said my abyss TC sounds dramatically better with my formula s/powerman added to the dave as an example...for the record I have been going to canjam for several years now and have had the pleasure of speaking to rob watts several times and I had conversations with him about just this subject where I told him much I loved the dave but wished it could drive the abyss and susvara and he acknowledged to me that those 2 HP's needed added amplification...he didnt say the dave couldnt drive them just that there were a couple of HP's that needed a bit more power to shine....the susvara doesnt need a speaker amp but it does need a beefy amp or else why would the amp HIfiman developed for it be so powerful?.or why would he have designed the tt2 to be more powerful?...anyway

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #14,166 of 25,658
The Dave (stock) can drive the Susvara very well. Improve your transport, inputs, power quality and cables.
Screenshot_20220208-100258.jpg

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #14,167 of 25,658
The Dave (stock) can drive the Susvara very well. Improve your transport, inputs, power quality and cables.
None of those things will make the Dave drive the susvara to the same punch and dynamics of a speaker amp. I'm sure the Dave is as transparent and detailed as can be, but that's only half of what people want out of the susvara.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #14,168 of 25,658
This is gonna sound random and weird, but... the bass line in "The Rainbow Connection" is really satisfyingly rumbly on the Sus.
I never though i’d read that kermit the frog was an audiophile reference - hopefully the susvaras will do justice to the nasaly qualities of his croaky voice.

i met end up preferring him to diana krall, with all due respect

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #14,169 of 25,658
None of those things will make the Dave drive the susvara to the same punch and dynamics of a speaker amp. I'm sure the Dave is as transparent and detailed as can be, but that's only half of what people want out of the susvara.
Au contraire. I can say I was quite underwhelmed with the Dave with USB input,lesser transport, lesser power quality and such. Basically ppl are blaming the wrong thing when they point at the Dave.

Punch is a poor indicator of quality. Punch is just non-extended bass and bass peaks. One wants sub bass level extended bass, which the Diablo provides at low gain as long one one has a good chain in order.

A Susvara owner in my area drives it with a Hugo 2 and prefers it over his Ttoby and Chord intergrated amp by a lot after following my advice. He also hears this wide punchy presentation with speaker amplifiers but now understands how flat the soundstage is, how artificially far the presentation is and how elevated the bass is.

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #14,170 of 25,658
you just saved me my precious.money. now onto my search for the better amp... :)
Hifiman EF1000 if you want to hear how Hifiman intended the Susvara's are to sound at their best !

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #14,171 of 25,658
Hifiman EF1000 if you want to hear how Hifiman intended the Susvara's are to sound at their best !

it must be lonely at the top! hope u get an ef1000 amp buddy soon!

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #14,172 of 25,658
No chance ! I have the DAVE with M Scaler and Chord Blu Transporter and the Susvara doesn't sound even half as good and powered enough for the Susvara to sound good to great. Most small powered amps will make a music sound come out of the Susvara's but you won't be hearing the Susvaras sound as Hifiman intended for them to sound !

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #14,173 of 25,658
it must be lonely at the top! hope u get an ef1000 amp buddy soon!
Well there was a couple of HeadFi.org members keen to listen to the UK demo model (which was my first ordered EF1000 that got damaged in transit and has now been fixed) so would have been nice to hear their impressions with the Susvara and any other hard to drive headphone (have a feeling the Senn HD800 & Abyss 1266 TC will sound great too with the EF1000).

I do though, so wish some of the Susvara owners on this forum would take the plunge and buy the EF1000 so they can also experience what I have been experiencing which is just shear musical bliss !

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #14,174 of 25,658
On the SAME chain HEkSE had the punch and Susvara had it NOT! Bass quantity is about the same, but punch hardness is missing. Booth are planars, and can be play loud at this setup! What is wrong? :)

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #14,175 of 25,658
On the SAME chain HEkSE had the punch and Susvara had it NOT! Bass quantity is about the same, but punch hardness is missing. Booth are planars, and can be play loud at this setup! What is wrong? :)
I think it is more about control. Many amps can make them loud, but they lack the control or power to control them adequately. So it is about finding something that can "tame the beast" so to speak. Similar to my experiences with the AByss 1266's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back