HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 3, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #1,354 of 25,871
I will when I get my Susvara next week. I'll link you to something proper. I plan to get a plastic wrist cuff to attach it to for when I'm out traveling.

I measured the Susvara, the cups are 4.5 in wide, 1.8 in deep at the thickest portion of the ear pads, and 9 in tall. I want to store it like Audeze pelican cases. I though about rotating the cups so I can store it flat, but that’s too much stress on the head band. Which Pelican case should I get?

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,355 of 25,871
I measured the Susvara, the cups are 4.5 in wide, 1.8 in deep at the thickest portion of the ear pads, and 9 in tall. I want to store it like Audeze pelican cases. I though about rotating the cups so I can store it flat, but that’s too much stress on the head band. Which Pelican case should I get?

I haven't checked yet, but I will next week. Maybe the 1200 Pelican Case. Get the exact dimensions and there is a pelican case calculator online: http://www.pelican.com/case_calculator.php
You can also contact them for assistance via call or email.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #1,357 of 25,871
I'm thinking of loaning one of these soon and A/B testing it vs the Stax SR-009 + KGSSHV Carbon (the SR-009S will be more like the Susvara but I don't have one). My amp is "only" a Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar, not exactly what I'd want for the Susvara but sounds great with the HE-6 and everything else. Really curious how the bass compares to the LCD-4's, how the transparency and detail compared to the SR-009, and how the treble compares to electrostatics.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #1,358 of 25,871
I'm thinking of loaning one of these soon and A/B testing it vs the Stax SR-009 + KGSSHV Carbon (the SR-009S will be more like the Susvara but I don't have one). My amp is "only" a Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar, not exactly what I'd want for the Susvara but sounds great with the HE-6 and everything else. Really curious how the bass compares to the LCD-4's, how the transparency and detail compared to the SR-009, and how the treble compares to electrostatics.

Pure Bipolar is basically GS-X MKII. You should at least drive it to satisfying levels.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #1,359 of 25,871

I have just a Carbon and 009, and honestly we are far from the sound of Susvara, the combo sounds much more like a well-amplified Focal Utopia.
Now the 009 has been sold and I'm waiting for the new 009s that will be delivered in the coming weeks, we'll see how similar it will be to Susvara.
I also had a Lcd4, not really my favorite Audeze, Susvara is another thing....

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #1,360 of 25,871
I have just a Carbon and 009, and honestly we are far from the sound of Susvara, the combo sounds much more like a well-amplified Focal Utopia.
Now the 009 has been sold and I'm waiting for the new 009s that will be delivered in the coming weeks, we'll see how similar it will be to Susvara.
I also had a Lcd4, not really my favorite Audeze, Susvara is another thing....

It's interesting when I bought the Susvara, I was going to try 009s and a good T2 build as my next step if Susvara doesn't get me close to HE1 sound. Luckily, Susvara with MHA100 is so close, I can stop. It does seem from most Stax owners that 009 is more like Utopia which I didn't like that much in terms of the sound signature. I do understand its technical achievements.

I was listening to Norah Jones's Sleeping Wild earlier. I was shocked at how sublime the double bass sounds in the beginning of the track. HeK v2 never produced bass so real like this with the same source and amp.

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #1,361 of 25,871
It's interesting when I bought the Susvara, I was going to try 009s and a good T2 build as my next step if Susvara doesn't get me close to HE1 sound. Luckily, Susvara with MHA100 is so close, I can stop. It does seem from most Stax owners that 009 is more like Utopia which I didn't like that much in terms of the sound signature. I do understand its technical achievements.

I was listening to Norah Jones's Sleeping Wild earlier. I was shocked at how sublime the double bass sounds in the beginning of the track. HeK v2 never produced bass so real like this with the same source and amp.

I can agree 100% with what you say.
There is a strong line that binds Utopia and 009, but there is no link between 009 / Utopia and Susvara.
009 / Utopia have precise and clear sounds never swollen, no value added to the musical signal, Susvara is all this but there is more magic more pathos.

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #1,362 of 25,871
Picked up a used pair of Susvaras that are arriving in the next week and need to pick up an amp for them (that will also be used with the Sennheiser HD820). Would love input. I had the iFi Pro iCan preciously. They did sound great paired with my Hugo2, but contemplating other options as well.

Here is a list of amps/dacs I’ve compiled from this thread:

Amps and DACS people have used for Susvara:

HeadAmp GS-X MkII
Commercial F7
Pass Labs XA30.8
Woo WA33
Master 9
Solaris
Violectric V281
Auris HS2
iCAN Pro
Dave
GSX MK2
SuSy Dynahi
COS Engineering H1 (DAC and AMP)
Master 9 (paired with Hugo2)
iFi Retro
Headtrip

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #1,363 of 25,871
Picked up a used pair of Susvaras that are arriving in the next week and need to pick up an amp for them (that will also be used with the Sennheiser HD820). Would love input. I had the iFi Pro iCan preciously. They did sound great paired with my Hugo2, but contemplating other options as well.

HeadAmp GS-X MkII
Commercial F7
Pass Labs XA30.8
Woo WA33
Master 9
Solaris
Violectric V281
Auris HS2
iCAN Pro
Dave
GSX MK2
SuSy Dynahi
iFi Retro
Headtrip

I enjoyed my Master 9 (+3db extra gain) with my Susvara. If I had the money, I would have gotten a Moon 600i V2 to drive them. The iCAN Pro did an alright job as well.

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #1,364 of 25,871

HeadAmp GS-X MkII
Commercial F7
Pass Labs XA30.8
Woo WA33
Master 9
Solaris
Violectric V281
Auris HS2
iCAN Pro
Dave
GSX MK2
SuSy Dynahi
iFi Retro
Headtrip

Su-Sy Dynahi is what I'd go for, any day of the week.

Also there is an excellent balanced Beta22 for sale in the classifieds here for only $1,200. This amp has enough power for more sensitive speakers (many of them have speaker taps, this one doesn't though), and it bests most of the amps on your list.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-balanced-amb-beta-22.882995/

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #1,365 of 25,871

HeadAmp GS-X MkII
Commercial F7
Pass Labs XA30.8
Woo WA33
Master 9
Solaris
Violectric V281
Auris HS2
iCAN Pro
Dave
GSX MK2
SuSy Dynahi
iFi Retro
Headtrip

You can check pro ican off the list. Susvara sounds strained compared to mha100. It sounds great with pretty much everything else. Not sure why because it has enough power. Someone said pass lab is not enough to enjoy its full potential. You can probably check that off the list. When in doubt just get a good quality speaker amp and use the speaker taps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back