HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 28, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #11,521 of 25,672
I listen to almost all electronic music so slam is like in the top 2 of most important characteristics in a headphone for me. I've admittedly played around with more DACs then amps since the Bakoon's a darling and I haven't had interest in anything else after getting it. I had a very mediocre set up when I owned the LCD4s but even going off memory Susvara in my setup also slams harder than LCD4s. The Tambaqui's dynamics hit like a truck and the Susvaras slams harder than my bass elevated Focals with the same amp/pre but with my previous DACs, the DAVE+MS and May KTE. Guess long story short, Sus can def slam but will take some work to get there and the entire chain matters a lot...

Having said that, I feel that when you listen to Susvara there's so much more to appreciate than just the slam or lack thereof. There's no shortage of slammy planars/dynamic driver headphone if it's the only thing you want get one of those instead. I feel the Susvara's lack of slam can also be attributed to the fact it's other attributes are so excellent that in comparison the slam takes more of a backseat. Lastly, while I don't normally use EQ since I am more of a purist, I recently played around with adding a bass shelf of +3db at 200hz and wow!
I own the susvara and wonder exactly "slam" means according to all who speak of it

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #11,522 of 25,672
I listen to almost all electronic music so slam is like in the top 2 of most important characteristics in a headphone for me. I've admittedly played around with more DACs then amps since the Bakoon's a darling and I haven't had interest in anything else after getting it. I had a very mediocre set up when I owned the LCD4s but even going off memory Susvara in my setup also slams harder than LCD4s. The Tambaqui's dynamics hit like a truck and the Susvaras slams harder than my bass elevated Focals with the same amp/pre but with my previous DACs, the DAVE+MS and May KTE. Guess long story short, Sus can def slam but will take some work to get there and the entire chain matters a lot...

Having said that, I feel that when you listen to Susvara there's so much more to appreciate than just the slam or lack thereof. There's no shortage of slammy planars/dynamic driver headphone if it's the only thing you want get one of those instead. I feel the Susvara's lack of slam can also be attributed to the fact it's other attributes are so excellent that in comparison the slam takes more of a backseat. Lastly, while I don't normally use EQ since I am more of a purist, I recently played around with adding a bass shelf of +3db at 200hz and wow!

I believe it, I was very surprised how much I love the bass on the arya and think it slams harder than the supposed "bass cannons" TH900. So susvara should either be more or equal in that department with a "smoother" sound signature and such to my ear, I'm predicting.

I own the susvara and wonder exactly "slam" means according to all who speak of it

The perceived physical tactical weight of the bass.

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #11,523 of 25,672
Slam is that Dragon Susvara owners are trying to catch

I believe it, I was very surprised how much I love the bass on the arya and think it slams harder than the supposed "bass cannons" TH900. So susvara should either be more or equal in that department with a "smoother" sound signature and such to my ear, I'm predicting.

The perceived physical tactical weight of the bass.

I really enjoyed the Arya as well and you're right, tuning's quite similar and Susvara is essentially a more refined Arya

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #11,525 of 25,672
I own the TC as well...I am simply asking for a description of slam

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #11,526 of 25,672
I determine this according to how much my cheeks physically vibrate on very specific tracks, such as songs by Two Feet. I don’t need to work hard to perceive it, it’s literally right on my face. It changes depending on how I tweak my chain or tubes in my preamp.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #11,527 of 25,672
The way I see it, the “slam” one hears or feels in the lower frequencies, is associated with drums.

However, when headphones have this quality, you get an overall more tactile presentation across frequencies. This impacts the bite of electric guitars, the snap of an upright bass guitar, the crash of cymbals, and so on.

A Focal Clear, for example, has more so-called slam than an Arya or an Auteur, both of which I have enjoyed.

Currently, a hyothesis floating around, suggests that it comes down to driver excursion, amount of air being moved by the driver, etc., although no standard measurements appear to exist.

It's not bass level, of course.

A Utopia doesn't exactly have a bass shelf but slams harder than headphones which have more bass on the FR.

Finally, a headphone like TC has both bass energy as well as this tactile presentation.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #11,528 of 25,672
IMO slam and punch is like the most self describing audiophile adjective out there.. Way better than using the term "dynamics" which confuses the waters since the term dynamic range is not talking about punch.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #11,529 of 25,672
It's that concussive effect you feel along with a perceived sense control/force behind it - most commonly used example to give would be that feeling you physically feel from being close to a kick drum being struck, or from electrofied instruments playing in the lower registers. In headphones usually an indicator of good macro dynamic presentation.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #11,530 of 25,672
The Susvara has very satisfying dynamics, and punch is there too, although behind Abyss and OG HE6. It surprised me plenty of times and comes out of nowhere.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #11,531 of 25,672
Way better than using the term "dynamics" which confuses the waters since the term dynamic range is not talking about punch.
Would Grip and Control apply here ?

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #11,532 of 25,672
I love both the susvara and the abyss tc but I dont think what I like about the abyss is "slam"...it is of course the bass but for me it is the spaciousness and detail

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #11,534 of 25,672
I love both the susvara and the abyss tc but I dont think what I like about the abyss is "slam"...it is of course the bass but for me it is the spaciousness and detail
I think it’s because you don’t don’t listen to metal or hip-hop like many of us

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #11,535 of 25,672
you could be right, I do listen to zeppelin and deep purple and aerosmith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back