HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 17, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #9,391 of 25,604
Can you elaborate as to how the sound stage of the Susvara can even come close to the hugh open sound stage of the HD800S?
the susvara soundstage is so much more pleasing to me than the 800...I had the 800 yrs ago and sold it because it sounded unnatural to me....the susvara isnt as wide but is much more 3 dimensional and deep and IMHO so much better

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #9,392 of 25,604
I got the Bakoon AMP-13R yesterday. I think initial impressions have value, since you still have a fresh perspective.

- Upon hearing it with the Susvara, my immediate reaction was like, "Wow, this sounds high-end!" This was after my first hour listening with the TC.

- Presentation of detail is pretty compelling. Lots of inner detail, even at low volume. Decay is very trackable in a way that I usually only appreciate very late at night (because noisy power in my densely populated urban area).

- Rewards close listening a lot. I remember saying the same thing about the HPA4. Pretty sure it gets the nod over the HPA4 in terms of resolution.

- The cliche of hearing new elements in tracks already heard a hundred times applies here, for sure. Noticed this a number of times and especially on the TC.

- Makes the Susvara sound surprisingly fast. I would not use the words "relaxed" or "laid back" to characterize the amp. Leading edges are not beautified and rounded in the way of some tube amps.

- Not warm, and not even "neutral with a hint of warmth" (which is such a common way that amps get characterized). This works well for the Susvara, but for me is possibly too neutral combined with the Utopia (and DAVE in my case). Still need to listen more with the TC.

- Bass is very controlled and textured. Less of it in quantity in the sub-bass versus HPA4. I'm tempted at the moment to EQ it up a bit in software (can't lie).

- Musical elements in the heart of the midrange are full-bodied, and assert a lot of presence and realism. Vocals are... chef's kiss!! (saxophones, too) This is the stand-out quality for me so far, and has influenced my choices of music to play.

- Space is great, air is great, all that stuff. Depth is good. Depth is better on my 95-pound (lol) speaker amp, and which generally has more tubey-ness for a solid state amp.

- Speaker taps for the Susvara sound about the same as the headphone-out. Probably not worth further testing. On the TC, however, speaker taps make it sound more "speaker amp-like". Probably prefer headphone-out on the TC as well.

- Remote control works well when used at oblique angles to the amp, which makes it fully use-able based on my physical setup. Feels pretty fragile.

TL/DR IMO, the adulation the amp gets seems warranted.
I concur with much of your review....I think as time goes on you will appreciate the bakoon more and more and the form factor is such a bonus.....nothing else in its class is as petite and attractive IMHO

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #9,393 of 25,604
Is there a Susvara speaker taps adapter/cable that most people that most people are using and are happy with? I've seen a few here and there, but not sure if there's a preferred one out there. Checked with my dealer on Pass Labs (was interested in a few of their beefier amps), and they're having some covid related delays similar to my shangri-la issue. Thinking I'm going to start with the quality Marantz amp I have on hand just to get my feet wet until I land on the right speaker amp to try. On that front, finding something that's just as good with the TC/Sr1a is the primary concern.

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #9,394 of 25,604
Hey Susvara Head-Fiers... My friend Tim generously loaned me his Susvara with Double Helix Prion 4 Cable for a bit of listen. We have been curious how the Susvara would fare in my system as my SS Amp was built for super inefficient planars. I thought I would share my initial impressions after 5 days with the Susvara.

System for Susvara:
Roon Labs through my USBe Perfect feeding a Silver Dragon USB Cable into the TEAC UD-505 Dual Mono DAC. I am using Roon's upsampling to 768k into the TEAC which is the max PCM file rate the TEAC can decode. I then have the TEAC set up to upconvert from 768K to 24.5mhz DSD. I am running Cardas Crosslink XLR Interconnects from the TEAC into the Cembalo Spring 1. The Cembalo is set up at Fixed 0db, which gives me more volume play and keeps the sound from distorting, which happens from time to time on the Cembalo if the voltage is set too high. Fixed 0 db keeps it to 2 vrms, whereas Fixed +6 db sends 4 vrms. The Cembalo prefers 2 vrms. My other amp is the Bottlehead Mainline. The Mainline cannot provide the Susvara even close to what it needs. The sound is flat and lifeless and will not be used for my impressions. The Cembalo, though was built for this moment.

Build Quality is impeccable. They are very comfortable and light. I can wear them for hours without issue. The DHC Prion 4 cable is a beast. It is big and heavy and seems to be providing a pretty great connection between the amp and headphone. I cannot honestly speak to its value or whether it is an upgrade from the stock cable. I would assume so as Hifiman isn't exactly known for providing quality wire for their TOTL headphones. I would think that would be part of their package with a $6000 headphone, but my guess is that they are spending around $3000 to make the headphone. After all, the drivers have 24k gold in them. The DHC Prion 4 sounds unbelievably good with the Susvara.

Sound is in a word, Magnificent! They are the perfect blend of speed, dynamics, subtlety, power and refinement. Let's begin with the Midrange, the part of this headphone that is beyond reproach. The midrange is open. Staging is wide both left to right and up and down. The midrange opens up like a parachute and you feel like you are floating down to earth. The ethereal nature of the headphone lends itself to an extremely open, articulate and surreal tuning. The Lower Treble and Upper Midrange is my favorite part. It is harmonious without being shouty. It is detailed without being sibilant. It is a truth seeker, and it wants only one thing. To let you hear your music exactly as it was intended. Bass is really fast and tight. It isn't boomy or humped in any way. In comparison to the Heddphone, Stellia or the Code X, the Susvara seems a bit bass light. But it isn't bass light at all. it is just faithful to the recording and so freaking fast... clean, accurate and lovely.

Amplification and Sourcing:
The Susvara is extremely picky. The drivers are extremely tight and rigid. It takes a lot to open them up. The problem is that the amount of power you need to really open them up takes them to the edge of distortion in my set-up. I keep going back and forth between 0db and +6db from my TEAC trying to find the right voltage for the Cembalo as the Susvara wants me to push them and I have to find the right combo to do so without changing the headphone's delicate balance. When I get it right, there is nothing like the way they sound. The Cembalo is powering them at 10 on the volume dial.

I am getting the best sound from the Susvara and Cembalo after the Cembalo has been on for about 30 minutes. I am not going to turn off my Cembalo tonight and keep it warmed up for tomorrow's listening session. (this was written last night). Tonight the Susvara is singing for me. PRAT is off the charts. It is so fast and agile.

Comparison to the Code X:
If I am being super honest, I prefer the Hifiman Code X. So does my 16 yr old, who has become a budding audiophile with impeccable listening skills. To be very clear, the Susvara is the better headphone. The Susvara blows it out of the water with its superior technicalities. However, the soundstage on the Code X is way better to my ears and I love the way the Code X plays my music. Bass is deeper with the Code X. The treble on the Susvara is a class above. It isn't even close. The Susvara's treble is the best I have heard on a headphone. However, the Code X isn't far behind. I hope this doesn't offend anyone because I truly love the Susvara and it is a better headphone. There is no doubt. But, this is the 2nd time I have put the Code X up against a TOTL Planar (Diana V2 was the other) and in each instance the Code X more than held its own. LFF put some serious love and tech into the mod. It just rips and is the only headphone I will never sell. The Code X isn't as detailed, but it is detailed enough. The Susvara is for when I want to analyze my music and hear for everything that the artist recorded. The Code X is for when you want to hear 95% of what is recorded and sit back and listen without analyzing. I cannot speak highly enough about the Code X.

The Susvara has one issue and only one as far as I can tell. It is a picky little bugger and needs a lot of amp jostling to sound its best. It is very inefficient, but that isn't really the issue. It gets plenty loud on my rig. In fact, the Cembalo has loads of reserve for the Susvara. The bigger issue is how it pairs with an amp. It needs the right current load, voltage and enough power (no clue if I said that correctly) at the exact right time. When you do, you are rewarded with everything you could ever want from a head-fi experience. When not, I prefer other things more. It is a neurotic headphone, that is for sure...:)

My Cembalo has fully opened up tonight so I am putting the Susvara through the paces to see if I can keep the pickiness bugs at bay. The Susvara is so fast. I feel like it is actually a proactive headphone. Anticipating the needs of the song and amp and trying to pull out its best. Gotcha Susvara. I hear you! Tonality is spot on. It almost makes the bass feel light. But it isn't light, it is just moving faster than every other headphone. Interesting how they were able to create something that is this insensitive and sensitive at the same time. That is a neat technological trick and shows how capable Hifiman is at making headphones. They have created something special, that is for sure. It is intense and ethereal simultaneously. It makes you listen, whether you want to or not. I can't get over the Susvara's sense of PRAT. Timing is perfect.

My comparisons of the Susvara are limited to only 2 other headphones currently. The Hifiman Code X (obviously as I have referenced it several times already), and the Focal Stellia. I just sold a Heddphone, so I have a lot of thoughts about how they compare, but since it isn't in house I will keep my thoughts to myself. I principally use the Stellia on my Bottlehead Mainline and the Code X on my Cembalo Spring 1. I love the Stellia and Mainline. But, it is such a different headphone that comparing it to the Susvara wouldn't be fair to either. I think the Code X is actually the better headphone to compare against the Susvara. Even though the Susvara is $4000+ more. Each night I listen to the Susvara I am becoming more and more a fan.

That's all from a newly minted Susvara listener. Thank you for reading my post. Thank you, Tim for encouraging me to share my thoughts with the Susvara gang.

Best,
Geoff
Congrats on getting Code-X. Rare birds. Without Luis around, this community loses out not only on his great headphone work but his wonderful recording masterings.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #9,395 of 25,604
Congrats on getting Code-X. Rare birds. Without Luis around, this community loses out not only on his great headphone work but his wonderful recording masterings.
Thanks. I have the Code X3, I believe. It was made with an HE5LE. I love it! My favorite headphone ever. It isn't as detailed as the Susvara, but it is every bit as enjoyable and the musicality is off the charts. It is the perfect compliment to my Cembalo Spring 1.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #9,396 of 25,604
Is there a Susvara speaker taps adapter/cable that most people that most people are using and are happy with? I've seen a few here and there, but not sure if there's a preferred one out there. Checked with my dealer on Pass Labs (was interested in a few of their beefier amps), and they're having some covid related delays similar to my shangri-la issue. Thinking I'm going to start with the quality Marantz amp I have on hand just to get my feet wet until I land on the right speaker amp to try. On that front, finding something that's just as good with the TC/Sr1a is the primary concern.

I made my own 3' adapter using 16 ga speaker cable. Another option, if you don't mind hacking the end off one of the stock "dead alien worm" cables, is to connect the 4 conductors directly to the speaker terminals just like speakers.

IMG_20210617_200208863.jpg

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #9,397 of 25,604
I use Norne speaker tap cables; gives me peace of mind as it is consistent with my Norne headphone cables that I connect to it. And I don’t have the skillset to DIY it unfortunately.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #9,398 of 25,604
I use Moon Audio cables. Either Black or Silver Dragon lines.

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #9,399 of 25,604
Thanks. I have the Code X3, I believe. It was made with an HE5LE. I love it! My favorite headphone ever. It isn't as detailed as the Susvara, but it is every bit as enjoyable and the musicality is off the charts. It is the perfect compliment to my Cembalo Spring 1.
You may have a LEX as the LE intimates. I have a X2 although I've heard all of his variations and feel all but the X6 are really supreme.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #9,400 of 25,604
I made my own 3' adapter using 16 ga speaker cable. Another option, if you don't mind hacking the end off one of the stock "dead alien worm" cables, is to connect the 4 conductors directly to the speaker terminals just like speakers.

IMG_20210617_200208863.jpg

Really nice looking DIY cable, if you're opening shop let me know :). And great suggestion.

I use Norne speaker tap cables; gives me peace of mind as it is consistent with my Norne headphone cables that I connect to it. And I don’t have the skillset to DIY it unfortunately.

I use Moon Audio cables. Either Black or Silver Dragon lines.

Thank you both, looking into them!

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #9,401 of 25,604
You may have a LEX as the LE intimates. I have a X2 although I've heard all of his variations and feel all but the X6 are really supreme.

I just looked back at my communication with the head-fier who I bought them from. They were a HE-5 reissue purchased in 2018 from Hifiman and then sent to LFF for the mod. Does that make it the LEX? All I know is that is one amazing headphone. What would you compare it to in terms of sonic quality?

Sorry, this is a bit off topic. I apologize to the Susvara thread goers...

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #9,402 of 25,604

To derail a bit, can you tell me in short what are these cans? That's the first time I'm hearing about them, and I've been around here on HF for a while. Must've skipped something important it seems :D

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #9,403 of 25,604
I just looked back at my communication with the head-fier who I bought them from. They were a HE-5 reissue purchased in 2018 from Hifiman and then sent to LFF for the mod. Does that make it the LEX? All I know is that is one amazing headphone. What would you compare it to in terms of sonic quality?

Sorry, this is a bit off topic. I apologize to the Susvara thread goers...
The HE-5LE has the base mod tuning known as the LEX. The X2/X3 variants were requests for Luis to tune them a little differently.

There may be a couple more customs but you'd have to ask the former California crew as someone like Purrin had direct friend access.

I would likely compare them to LCD-4. In general terms, they're overall a second-tier performer with strong characteristic.

And one I, too, will never sell.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #9,404 of 25,604
To derail a bit, can you tell me in short what are these cans? That's the first time I'm hearing about them, and I've been around here on HF for a while. Must've skipped something important it seems :D

They're modded headphones by LFF who has gone dark for a bit now. I'm sure he's modded more but the ones I know of are the HE-5 (Code X), the HE-5LE (LEX, X2, X3), and the HE-6 (Code Sex). I personally haven't heard any of them as they are pretty hard to get a hold of but I hear lots of good stuff about them.

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #9,405 of 25,604
From the days of Changstar, LFF started modding the HE-5 for his friends which became the Code-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back