HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 8, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #9,076 of 25,604
i love my monitor audio platinum 200ii speakers but the problem for me since the pandemic is my girlfriend is always at home now working so i have very little time to use my 2 channel system in peace.

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #9,077 of 25,604
The podcast is 95 minutes in duration. Can you provide an executive summary? TIA.

Sure. A normal filter can give you a handful of bands of EQ. A FIR filter can give you 1000+. That's the most basic summary of the difference between what Mitch does with his FIR Filter and lots of math, and other filters. It's a whole lot more precise, and a whole lot more discriminatory. Also why it needs to be done in a computer versus a hardware chip in a DAC or the like.

I will get him my Susvara, and then let him do the measurements and create the filters, and tell you all how awesome they are. I was just hoping to avoid the shipping hassle between Canada and the US, and maybe find someone close to Mitch in Canada with a pair of Susvara that was interested in letting him get the measurements.

As an example, look at HQPlayer. I am using it right now to upsample to DSD256. It's one of the best upsampling programs on the planet because of the amount of math it does and the filters it uses which are beyond the capability for hardware EQ and basic EQ programs to do. That's also why it requires so much horsepower. It also sounds great.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #9,078 of 25,604
I don't contemplate ever EQ'ing either my speaker systems or my headphone system especially with good to excellent hifi components connected as one for the complete system with respectable interconnects etc.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion and choices, but HQPlayer in a powerful PC can do more upsampling than the M-scaler can both of those are already changing the signal some.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #9,079 of 25,604
Here is a quote from one of the links that makes it pretty clear.

"With respect to eq, I prefer Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filters with 65,536 samples in length over any other type of filter. Rather than using a handful of parametric eq’s (PEQ) that don’t adequately smooth the response, I prefer the high-resolution approach of making a large number of small adjustments in the frequency domain, and if required, an independent phase adjustment can be applied in the time domain."

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...isite-sr1a-headphones-to-another-level-r1020/

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #9,080 of 25,604
I guess maybe I'm dumb, but how is this different than using HQ Player + PEQ?
I don't eq susvara anyway. I dont really know what I'd change in it.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #9,081 of 25,604
We can consider this topic closed. I will do this myself, and go through the hassle of shipping my Susvara to him in Canada so he can do his magic.

Cool! That will give me the time I need to listen to the podcast.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #9,082 of 25,604
I guess maybe I'm dumb, but how is this different than using HQ Player + PEQ?
I don't eq susvara anyway. I dont really know what I'd change in it.

I have already provided all the resources to get the answers you seek. I gave you links to forum articles, reviews full of graphs and tech talk and an extremely in depth podcast explaining it all. I am not going to re-do all of that effort because you're lazy.

I now know how my college professors felt when people didn't do the reading, but instead asked questions that were clearly answered if they had done the reading.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #9,085 of 25,604
Arrogance is The Death of Men.

— highly recommended listen for the Susvara

😉

B0C028E9-F64B-4997-83EE-6155FE6FE615.jpeg

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #9,086 of 25,604
A good and affordable speaker system in a suitable room for the speakers will always sound better than even the best headphone systems !

It's just that some people don't have a suitable room for a respectable speaker system or the use of speakers even in a suitable room will disturb others when played at a respectable listening level. For such people, headphones is then the only way to hear quality music !

I suppose that all depends on what affordable and suitable means by your definition. I get much more pleasure out of a great headphone setup than my two channel setup. It’s not even close.

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #9,088 of 25,604
Jun 9, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #9,089 of 25,604
Are Audio-Technica headphones better suited for vocals than Susvara?
I agree with @ThanatosVI. The Susvara's has one of the most natural midranges in a headphone I've heard. In turn, that translates to some sweet sounding vocals.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #9,090 of 25,604
I agree with @ThanatosVI. The Susvara's has one of the most natural midranges in a headphone I've heard. In turn, that translates to some sweet sounding vocals.

How does HE6se v2 compare to Susvara for vocals ?
You don’t have your modded FA-10 anymore ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back