HiFiMan Susvara
May 18, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #8,806 of 26,334
I'm sorry to hear that, must be unpleasant.
However I would think that Misophonia is incredibly rare, yet I read about the General dislike for those clicking noises a lot lately.

Both for relay volume attenuation as well as DAC circuitry changes when the Bitrate changes.
Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate them. Not sure how prominent Misophonia is in general population, but from talking to doctors they all tell me that is is undiagnosed condition and many people live with it without knowing about it. It is possible that in audiophile world, the concentration is higher? Hard to say.

May 18, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #8,807 of 26,334
I'm surprised that this Feature has Such negative Reception.
I really like relay attenuation and half if my gear uses it.

On the other hand I don't change my volume much.
Ha. Crazy. I live by the A-D 41 step attenuator.

May 18, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #8,808 of 26,334
Thank you for pointing this out. As a person with certain neural condition, clicking sound drives me mad. Most reviewers never call out these relay clicks and when I purchase a device, I then need to return it / sell it for a loss. I was seriously considering Bakoon, but this is a no go for me. I know I am "weird" use case, but really thank you for telling me about this.
An alternative way of adjusting volume is through your preamp/dac, provided that it does have a volume knob. In my setup, whenever I turn on the Bakoon, I just adjust the volume once and use the digital volume control from Lumin T2 app (which is excellent btw) during playback. That way you won’t have to hear the relay clicking sound when adjusting the volume.

May 18, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #8,809 of 26,334
Thank you for pointing this out. As a person with certain neural condition, clicking sound drives me mad. Most reviewers never call out these relay clicks and when I purchase a device, I then need to return it / sell it for a loss. I was seriously considering Bakoon, but this is a no go for me. I know I am "weird" use case, but really thank you for telling me about this.
the bakoon volume control is a total non issue for me...my former violectric was more pronounced as are many other amps...schiit amps also have it or did .....hardly anything to make an issue over IMHO but if one has a medical condition then it is a different story

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #8,810 of 26,334
the bakoon volume control is a total non issue for me...my former violectric was more pronounced as are many other amps...schiit amps also have it or did .....hardly anything to make an issue over IMHO but if one has a medical condition then it is a different story
I auditioned a Schiit amp several years ago at a CanJam. When you adjusted the volume, there were audible dropouts. That is, in fact, a deal-breaker for me, not that I would have bought the amp otherwise.

May 18, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #8,811 of 26,334
I had owned a Schiit Preamp before which I sold because the volume clicking was really bothering me. It is much worse than the Bakoon though.

That said, the Bakoon amp sounds fantastic that I may be able to forget the clicking noises. Its true that I probably wont change volume too much once I set it.

May 18, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #8,812 of 26,334
I absolutely recognise that this is a non issue for most, some even prefer it (ASMR). The device that was the worse for me (not from audio quality, but from relay switching) was Schiit's Bifrost 2, a DAC that had audible clicks every time it changed a bitrate. I had to upsample everything in Roon just to make sure all of it run at the same bitrate and the clicking wouldn't occur. That's why I pay attention to these things in video reviews and am very grateful for those who mention it in their written reviews.

May 18, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #8,813 of 26,334
Weeks ago I ordered a speaker taps adapter to enable me to use my TToby along with my MScaler and TT2. This equipment is all new to me, and I am slowly getting to grips with it and learning all the time. So until now I have been running from the 6.35 output on the TT2. As much as I enjoy the Susvara's, at the moment something feels 'missing' and I am hoping that its the output I am using that isn't doing it too much justice.

With the adapter due to arrive soon, I was wondering what I can expect in performance compared to the single-ended output?

May 18, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #8,815 of 26,334
Weeks ago I ordered a speaker taps adapter to enable me to use my TToby along with my MScaler and TT2. This equipment is all new to me, and I am slowly getting to grips with it and learning all the time. So until now I have been running from the 6.35 output on the TT2. As much as I enjoy the Susvara's, at the moment something feels 'missing' and I am hoping that its the output I am using that isn't doing it too much justice.

With the adapter due to arrive soon, I was wondering what I can expect in performance compared to the single-ended output?
100% yes. The front 6.35 outlet on the TT2 is nowhere near powerful enough to drive the Susvaras adequately (same with the TCs).

May 19, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #8,816 of 26,334
I just have to give a shout out to @Slim1970 for recommending the original Burson Timekeeper because it partners so well the TT2 and Susvara. It’s so sweet, transparent and musical and I found the slight warmth and slight emphasis on the low end to be exactly what the Sus needs! Susvara sounds complete, thank you ☺️ It’s got custom linear power supply, fully discrete, no integrated circuits—they kept it simple and super high quality and built like a tank. This amp is a discontinued classic and it’s not easy to find one but thankfully I found one fo sale locally only ~800usd. All the silver together looks yum 😋

Attachments

• 1FD32773-9564-47E7-BFCF-E749A12CF632.jpeg
    1FD32773-9564-47E7-BFCF-E749A12CF632.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • ADBC4FB1-FD20-4DE1-B4D9-63266A5EF4F5.jpeg
    ADBC4FB1-FD20-4DE1-B4D9-63266A5EF4F5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 19, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #8,817 of 26,334
I just have to give a shout out to @Slim1970 for recommending the original Burson Timekeeper because it partners so well the TT2 and Susvara. It’s so sweet, transparent and musical and I found the slight warmth and slight emphasis on the low end to be exactly what the Sus needs! Susvara sounds complete, thank you ☺️ It’s got custom linear power supply, fully discrete, no integrated circuits—they kept it simple and super high quality and built like a tank. This amp is a discontinued classic and it’s not easy to find one but thankfully I found one fo sale locally only ~800usd. All the silver together looks yum 😋
A Burson timekeeper.
Heard nothing but great things about it.
Congrats

May 19, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #8,818 of 26,334
This thread makes me want to try every amp. You all are bad influences.

May 19, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #8,819 of 26,334
May 19, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #8,820 of 26,334

Users who are viewing this thread

Back