HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 19, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #6,271 of 25,885
I auditioned a whole host of speakers over the last few months. Finally settled on the Sonus Faber Electa Amator III (small listening room).

I can’t honestly say speakers resolve at a higher degree than Susvaras - without going to far higher price brackets. Herb Riechert agrees:

“Don't laugh. I think that expensive headphones—especially ones like the Abyss AB-1266 Phis and the HiFiMan Susvaras—are actually high-value high-fidelity products. They give me more of what I desire from recorded music. They unmask more of what's hidden on recordings than do loudspeakers costing five or even ten times as much.”

The above excerpt is from Herb’s review of the Susvaras on Stereophile Magazine. Whether you agree with him or me or not, this is a beautiful review and very readable:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-19-hifi-man-susvara-headphones
I have Vandersteen Treo CT speakers driven by Merrill Audio Veritas (Hypex Class D) monoblocks, which together provide me comparable or better resolution than do the Susvara. Transparency, for me, means the ability of the equipment to disappear and provide the illusion of live music. I think the Vandersteens win in that regard also, and they certainly provide more realistic bass. But depending on the room and speakers, headphones might win overall in certain circumstances.

Jan 19, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #6,272 of 25,885
It is a bit of apples and oranges. In my experience, headphones can be more resolving than speakers, but I prefer the soundstaging and tactility (you can feel the bass and it can energize the room) that speakers deliver. You do have to deal with the interaction of the room (I use a McIntosh MX150 with RoomPerfect EQ calibration). it's easier to share the music with speakers, but I can also listen to music anytime on my headphones without annoying my wife.

Totally agree. Hard to compare and different use cases.

Speakers are able to create certain experiences that headphones can’t, no matter how “speaker-like” the latter’s presentation.

Headphones have less risk of annoying the wife or neighbors. And in some cases, for comparable prices, can be more resolving.

In other news, just picked these up.

DA385BB4-83A8-4252-87A7-072BE014B3CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #6,273 of 25,885
I heard a rumour about how susvara gets corroded somewhere in the drivers? Anyone hear about something like that?

Totally agree. Hard to compare and different use cases.

Speakers are able to create certain experiences that headphones can’t, no matter how “speaker-like” the latter’s presentation.

Headphones have less risk of annoying the wife or neighbors. And in some cases, for comparable prices, can be more resolving.

In other news, just picked these up.

DA385BB4-83A8-4252-87A7-072BE014B3CF.jpeg

What is that?

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #6,274 of 25,885
I heard a rumour about how susvara gets corroded somewhere in the drivers? Anyone hear about something like that?

What is that?
(Not one of those posts)

a rumour? what source may i ask?

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #6,275 of 25,885
Yep, no contest in my opinion, especially for people who like bass. A lot of people swear by the Stax midrange, but I find nothing wanting anywhere with the Susvara. One man's opinion.
100% agree.

I had the Stax 009's running off the infamous BHSE and my current Susvara system sounds far superior for most of the sound frequencies. I also find the Susvara's more musical and easier on the ear with it's overall smoother presentation without loosing any real significant clarity to the music especially with the midrange and treble.

In fact I found the 009 & BHSE sound very thin, cold and lacking body at times for some genres of music i.e. pop and rock although clarity and instrument separation in the low to high treble regions was exceptional and better than the Susvara's warmer and slightly less detail signature.

The treble and midrange from the 009's and BHSE was also very sparkly wiht some music genres sounding towards being sibilant. Much prefer the Susvara's warmer and smoother presentation for treble without it loosing too much clarity. If you are a detail freak and love acoustic and classical music details, you may prefer the Stax 009's.

Comfort wise I found them both to be the same comfort level i.e. good for reasonably long listening time (2+ hours).

Pure music enjoyment I would rank from 1 to 10 the Susvara's as 9 for all music genres and 009's 5 to 8 depending on music genres being listened to i.e. pop, rock 5 and acoustic and classical 7 to 8

The other plus with the Susvara's is you have more choice of equipment to hook it up to !

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #6,278 of 25,885
It was someone on our Sonic Visions discord. If its not true forget it.

Anyway im still deciding on susvara but already kinda planning. Extensively listening to my speaker chain right now with hd800S and loving it! Ordered aftermarket susvara cable from ted allen (so I can just look at it and hopefully be motivated to take the plunge). Also thinking of a preamp upgrade... thinking of maybe going tubes or pass pre... hard choice.

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #6,279 of 25,885
It was someone on our Sonic Visions discord. If its not true forget it.

Anyway im still deciding on susvara but already kinda planning. Extensively listening to my speaker chain right now with hd800S and loving it! Ordered aftermarket susvara cable from ted allen (so I can just look at it and hopefully be motivated to take the plunge). Also thinking of a preamp upgrade... thinking of maybe going tubes or pass pre... hard choice.
To my ears the Susvara is in another (higher) league than the HD800S for all music genres and the musicality content. The HD800S does have a much wider sound stage albeit to my ears it's feels artificial.

Jan 19, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #6,280 of 25,885
I really do like the Empy but found I was always looking for small details and clarity on tracks I know well that I could hear on my 2 ch audio system. A lot of these parts were barely audible on the Empy's where I now get to hear them clearly with the susvana!!!

I agree, I see the Susvara as more resolving and informative cans.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 19, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #6,281 of 25,885
I posted this about a month ago, but with the stock (and maybe aftermarket) Susvara earpads, I highly recommend applying electrical tape around the perimeter before installing them to help prevent the material from separating from the ring. Supposedly, Hifiman has improved the glue that is used there, but the whole methodology seems flimsy. Here's a photo of how it looks after cutting and applying the tape:

I once tried using electrical tape as an additive support (like you), but it was mistake because the black glue of the electrical tape bled outwards and spread over the neighbouring areas. I have now used superglue and leather pieces cut from a discarded earpad to reinforce it in the same manner. However, the earpad material is too thick and it creates a non-esthetic look where there is gap between the earpad and the headphone's frame. It is ridiculous that we have to try to fashion crude home-made solutions in a product that is expensive as the Susvara.

Jeff.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #6,282 of 25,885
I once tried using electrical tape as an additive support (like you), but it was mistake because the black glue of the electrical tape bled outwards and spread over the neighbouring areas. I have now used superglue and leather pieces cut from a discarded earpad to reinforce it in the same manner. However, the earpad material is too thick and it creates a non-esthetic look where there is gap between the earpad and the headphone's frame. It is ridiculous that we have to try to fashion crude home-made solutions in a product that is expensive as the Susvara.

Jeff.
The more I hear stuff like that, the more I'm impressed with the solution of the Empyrean.

Easiest Pad Swap ever

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #6,283 of 25,885
Has anyone compared the Susvara to the Stax SR-007 or SR-009?

Yep, no contest in my opinion, especially for people who like bass. A lot of people swear by the Stax midrange, but I find nothing wanting anywhere with the Susvara. One man's opinion.

100% agree.

I had the Stax 009's running off the infamous BHSE and my current Susvara system sounds far superior for most of the sound frequencies. I also find the Susvara's more musical and easier on the ear with it's overall smoother presentation without loosing any real significant clarity to the music especially with the midrange and treble.

In fact I found the 009 & BHSE sound very thin, cold and lacking body at times for some genres of music i.e. pop and rock although clarity and instrument separation in the low to high treble regions was exceptional and better than the Susvara's warmer and slightly less detail signature.

The treble and midrange from the 009's and BHSE was also very sparkly wiht some music genres sounding towards being sibilant. Much prefer the Susvara's warmer and smoother presentation for treble without it loosing too much clarity. If you are a detail freak and love acoustic and classical music details, you may prefer the Stax 009's.

Comfort wise I found them both to be the same comfort level i.e. good for reasonably long listening time (2+ hours).

Pure music enjoyment I would rank from 1 to 10 the Susvara's as 9 for all music genres and 009's 5 to 8 depending on music genres being listened to i.e. pop, rock 5 and acoustic and classical 7 to 8

The other plus with the Susvara's is you have more choice of equipment to hook it up to !

Owning all three headphones I have to say my personal experience differs with some of what's written in these last posts on this question. I'd say in this area a whole lot depends on amp/dac pairing, musical preferences etc. etc.

On my systems for example I find the 009 warmer, smoother, more effortless and euphonic than the Susvara. Quite the opposite of what some here described. I don't run the 009 on a BHSE though, as I found this pairing also on the bright/cold side. I remember reading somewhere that the BHSE was designed with the 007 in mind and this makes perfectly sense to me: it is a very good match with that headphone - I don't quite get it why so many people seem to think the BHSE and 009 are an ideal pairing, even more so with a chord dac in the mix.

Personally I find the Susvara a very good middle ground between the Abyss and the Stax sound signature. It has enough warmth/euphony to be run on a SS amp, something the Abyss does not in my opinion.

Depending on the system all of those headphones can be tuned to have the right amount of warmth/euphony that suits your taste.
On the statement that the Susvara beats the 009 in most areas, I tend to disagree :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #6,284 of 25,885
Wrapping out all this

Choosing between Susvara and the TC is a bit like comparing say an S-class Mercedes and a M5 BMW. The former being more supple, reassuring and voluptuous, and the latter more provocative, challenging and exhausting (but in a good way).

With the Susvara I tend to lose myself into the music, relax and forget about them. With the TC my heartbeat accelerates, as I prepare to a journey full of surprises and coup-de-théâtre.

I would venture to say that as the Susvara are exceptional headphones, the AB-1266, while being less honed out tonally, are able to transcend headphones listening experience in a way.

They complement themselves for sure, and I feel very fortunate to have both at my disposal :beyersmile:.

...have your posting unfortunately just discovered. My congratulations on your really excellent comparison! From my point of view, there is nothing to add, especially since I often fluctuate myself, which of the two headphones I should give preference on the respective listening evening.

Many greetings
Fidelio

Jan 19, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #6,285 of 25,885
Long list at my end as well. Happy to compare notes. Hegel H390; Accuphase E480 and E380; Gryphon Diablo 300, a few other pass amps, the flagship Musical Fidelity integrated, all stood out. Parasound JC, the Anthem integrated, and a few McIntosh amps were fun too. Among lower-priced ones, I liked the Roksan K3. However, the XA25 just has this impossible blend between a tube’s spaciousness, body, and midrange, while having a solid state’s speed, resolution abilities, and overall, a solid bottom-end. I am working on a full review of Susvaras on different amps. I will share the link once its done!
Sajid, what do you think about Accuphase E-480 and E-380 with the Susvara? Today I listened them both (plus E-270 in addition) and I couldn't help thinking that I prefer E-380 over E-480 (E-270 being distinctly weaker, say: less gentle or pretty harsh) which is fine (one may save some money) but quite unexpected. If I remember correctly you said you'd be auditioning E-380 once again, not E-480. Why is that, perhaps for the same reason?

In December I had E-480 at home for a couple of days so I knew it's great but today's goal was to compare it with the lower models. In the mean time, every now and then, I was checking how T+A HA 200 is getting on with the Accuphases and I must say it's quite an amp, very good one indeed, perhaps too clinical sound for my ears and less energetic, but by a small margin. T+A Solitaire P played a bit better on the Accuphases but this is perhaps only because I started liking more relaxed sound of the Susvara.

20210119_122737.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back