HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 10, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #6,046 of 25,646
I would say minimum 7 Watts with sweet spot around 10 to 15 Watts to the Susvara !
I have listened to the susvara with super powerful amps like the wells amps and other powerful amps and none have sounded as good to me as my formula s/powerman combo...obviously I havent heard all possibilities but I can say it isnt all about power rating nor is there is a minimum 7 watts....same with the abyss TC where the formula s combo shines

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #6,047 of 25,646
While still early in the process of getting familiar with the Susvara, a standout feature is already very apparent: they love strings!

The timbre, texture and harmonics structure of violins, vilola, cello is the best I have heard so far on headphones.

maiden.png

bach-cello.png

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #6,048 of 25,646
Is this based on any calculations and numbers or just bro science? I hardly see the point in putting a 400HP engine in a Mini Cooper.
Susvara is 83dB/mW, this translates to about 89dB/V in speaker terms, a fairly sensitive value driven well by a single 300B or 2A3 so 5-8W.

Susvara doesn't get better with more power, usually more power can imply better quality amp but there's no technical reason why more power = better sound.

Put it this way, take your Mezzo amp and feed it from your phone, power will stay the same so will you expect the same SQ?
This is based on Susvara reviews with Reviewers using a variety of both low powered Amps and high powered Amps (headphone and Speaker) and the fact that Hifiman updated the EF-1000 from the original 8 Watts for the old HE6 to 20 Watts for the Susvara. Note that the EF-1000 update is the official Amp for the Susvara to hear them at their best. If Hifiman didn't feel they needed more power for the Susvara then they wouldn't have spent the money and a redesign of the original EF-1000. I hope to confirm this in the coming weeks when hopefully I will have an EF-1000 to demo with the Susvara and Abyss AB 1266 Phi TC.

Don't fall into the trap of power conversions to dB which is only loudness levels not an improvement in sound quality just because of a higher power rating and a louder sound. If hifi was that easy we would all have huge amps and huge speakers !

As I keep saying, Planar-Magnetics need current and it's all about the voltage to current ratio's and voltage swing the amp is capable of delivering to the Susvara !

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #6,049 of 25,646
While still early in the process of getting familiar with the Susvara, a standout feature is already very apparent: they love strings!

The timbre, texture and harmonics structure of violins, vilola, cello is the best I have heard so far on headphones.

maiden.png

bach-cello.png
They do love strings!

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #6,050 of 25,646
I have listened to the susvara with super powerful amps like the wells amps and other powerful amps and none have sounded as good to me as my formula s/powerman combo...obviously I havent heard all possibilities but I can say it isnt all about power rating nor is there is a minimum 7 watts....same with the abyss TC where the formula s combo shines
Check the quantity of current the Formula S is providing both to your 1266's and Susvara's. You will find it is quite high !

The Formula S was designed and built purely for the 1266 so it should allow the 1266's to sound their best !

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #6,051 of 25,646
Is this based on any calculations and numbers or just bro science? I hardly see the point in putting a 400HP engine in a Mini Cooper.
Susvara is 83dB/mW, this translates to about 89dB/V in speaker terms, a fairly sensitive value driven well by a single 300B or 2A3 so 5-8W.

Susvara doesn't get better with more power, usually more power can imply better quality amp but there's no technical reason why more power = better sound.

Put it this way, take your Mezzo amp and feed it from your phone, power will stay the same so will you expect the same SQ?
My Mezzo 140 is self regulating to what power it needs to deliver at the impedance / resistance its needs to overcome. It is also a very neutral amp.

I couldn't feed my iPhone direct to my Mezzo 140 ! However, granted, My Mezzo is being fed direct from my DAVE with a balanced 6 Volts signal which is connected to my M Scaler, so source is of respectable quality !

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #6,052 of 25,646
Check the quantity of current the Formula S is providing both to your 1266's and Susvara's. You will find it is quite high !

The Formula S was designed and built purely for the 1266 so it should allow the 1266's to sound their best !
the powerman addition did make an enormous difference, that said whatever the reason the formula s combo at 6 watts into 16 ohms does a great job with the susvara

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #6,053 of 25,646

Technically more power = louder which is perceived as better. :wink:

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #6,054 of 25,646
Technically more power = louder which is perceived as better. :wink:
No, gain = louder, power is not about how loud something gets, but if it can sustain the designed gain of the amp into a specific load.

Otherwise yes, louder is perceived as better and why you want to volume match headphones as much as possible when comparing directly.

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #6,055 of 25,646
Jan 10, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #6,056 of 25,646

Typically, amps perform and measure best when they aren't being run near their limits. Also, it never hurts to have extra power on tap for loud, dynamic passages. The only real sonic downside to a more powerful amp can be a higher noise floor, although my NAD M22 V2 is rated at 300 W (8 ohms) and is dead silent with the Susvara.

Note that I'm not arguing that a more powerful amp will necessarily give you better sound. That has more to do with design and implementation details.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #6,057 of 25,646
No, gain = louder, power is not about how loud something gets, but if it can sustain the designed gain of the amp into a specific load.

Otherwise yes, louder is perceived as better and why you want to volume match headphones as much as possible when comparing directly.
Forest for the weeds. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #6,059 of 25,646
A 83dB/mW 60ohm headphone will hit 110dB peaks with 0.5W, no headphone needs 7W, let alone 15W.

Its not just about loudness... its about the quality of the sound.

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #6,060 of 25,646
Its not just about loudness... its about the quality of the sound.

Right, so an amplifier that can put out 0.5W at reasonable levels of distortion and an acceptable damping ratio will get the job done. More power than that will never be utilized by the headphone, unless you listen continuously at ear damaging volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back