HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 31, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #4,951 of 25,614
Lol I know.. I waited and thought about it for a long time before I actually pulled the trigger. Roy from AC was a pleasure to talk to and he assured me the cable was worth its asking price.
I'm sure he did, haha... I'm not sure I will ever spend that kind of money on a cable, but it sure looks great. Congrats and enjoy!

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #4,954 of 25,614
Powerman is just the separate power supply for the Formula S :) It's part of the Formula S/Powerman/Sagra stack.

Got it, thanks. Just took a look and it's one costly PSU right there :)

But then again, this is the Susvara thread, there are no brakes here :D

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 5, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #4,955 of 25,614
I've had the Susvara for over a week now and I'm running it from my Ragnarok 2 on highest gain. No shortage of power (60wpc into 8ohm). I am extremely pleased with them, they are so smooth and just play everything with this gentle nuanced touch that is rare. There hasn't been a sense of harshness in anything I've listened to. I don't know how much of this is the Rag 2, which has a very warm and analog sound with an open sound stage, but they seem to be a really good pairing.

Now, my biggest curiosity was comparing the Susvara with the Abyss, which I've previously owned (Phi and also Phi TC). I feel like they can't even be compared, other than the price and need for proper amplification. The Susvara are very laid back and relaxing whereas the Abyss can be very aggressive and almost slap you across the face with bass and impact. I think they would compliment each other perfectly and I would be on cloud 9 if I could have both on my desk to suit my mood. That said, I think in terms of technical ability - the Abyss takes it. They really are something unique and their sheer physical impact and holographic soundstage can't be beat - but the Susvara takes the cake when it comes to comfort by a huge margin. I forget I have them on and I can even walk around the house with them on my head. I cannot do that with the Abyss, which require you to sit and not even lean your head back. The Abyss has also been continually refined, from the regular 1266 to phi to phi TC - small improvements have made them sound even better whereas the Susvara has been the same since it came out (other than the 3.5mm jacks). I think for me, the Susvara are just more practical to wear and relax with so I'll be keeping them for a while!

Nov 5, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #4,956 of 25,614
I've had the Susvara for over a week now and I'm running it from my Ragnarok 2 on highest gain. No shortage of power (60wpc into 8ohm). I am extremely pleased with them, they are so smooth and just play everything with this gentle nuanced touch that is rare. There hasn't been a sense of harshness in anything I've listened to. I don't know how much of this is the Rag 2, which has a very warm and analog sound with an open sound stage, but they seem to be a really good pairing.

Now, my biggest curiosity was comparing the Susvara with the Abyss, which I've previously owned (Phi and also Phi TC). I feel like they can't even be compared, other than the price and need for proper amplification. The Susvara are very laid back and relaxing whereas the Abyss can be very aggressive and almost slap you across the face with bass and impact. I think they would compliment each other perfectly and I would be on cloud 9 if I could have both on my desk to suit my mood. That said, I think in terms of technical ability - the Abyss takes it. They really are something unique and their sheer physical impact and holographic soundstage can't be beat - but the Susvara takes the cake when it comes to comfort by a huge margin. I forget I have them on and I can even walk around the house with them on my head. I cannot do that with the Abyss, which require you to sit and not even lean your head back. The Abyss has also been continually refined, from the regular 1266 to phi to phi TC - small improvements have made them sound even better whereas the Susvara has been the same since it came out (other than the 3.5mm jacks). I think for me, the Susvara are just more practical to wear and relax with so I'll be keeping them for a while!

Spot on impressions/comparison.

IME, it's very difficult to make the Susvara sound harsh. BTW, ditch the stock cable and get any good quality silver wire. The improvement was quite significant.

I wouldn't say the same for most other flagships, which have decent cords.

Nov 5, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #4,957 of 25,614

I agree with you, they are very complementary. The new headband with proper size o ring has really improved the comfort of the TC, and also improves the stability somehow. I find myself listening to the TC much more since I have the new headband. I'm hoping Dekoni will introduce deeper pads for the Susvara, as my only complaint with those are the shallow pads. Meanwhile the LCD 4 is mainly gathering dust these days...

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #4,958 of 25,614

Very very accurate across the board. They are both extremely good with entirely different styles. I find that they compliment each other absolutely perfectly. I do go back and forth between which is better, all to come back to the same realization that the answer is neither. I'd have to also add that the more smooth sound of the Susvara also adds to the perceived comfort factor. In addition to the physical comfort it's just easy to get lost in them, whereas the TC's can come off as a bit bright at times + the lack of physical comfort... that said, the TCs technical wise, as you said they just have the wow factor almost no other headphone can beat.

They're a really good combo to have.

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #4,960 of 25,614
Nov 7, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #4,963 of 25,614
I realize recently I'm picking up the susvara for a listen more often than my other headphones... can't even stick to the rotation schedule.

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #4,964 of 25,614
I realize recently I'm picking up the susvara for a listen more often than my other headphones... can't even stick to the rotation schedule.
Same here. I listened to the Susvaras yesterday, and was supposed to go to the Sr1as today and then the TCs tomorrow. But, I couldn't resist picking up the Susvara again today

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #4,965 of 25,614
Last night I listened to my SR-009 with RSA A-10 Thunderbolt that I really love and then switch to the Susvara with the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP and I think I prefer the Susvara/Prima fuller sound.
I am using the WireWorld Platinum headphone cable (OCC Silver).

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back