HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 11, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #4,351 of 25,550
I received a brand new Susvara on 21 July to replace a loaner pair that I’d had for some while. My new ones arrived with 2.5mm connectors too. I had previously bought a JPS Superconductor cable on the basis that I could use it with my Abyss DiPhi and Susvara, but main contender was really Susvara. As it happens, it sounds great with Susvara and remains permanently connected now so I’m probably the odd exception who would have been disappointed to receive 3.5mm connector.

32D2FC29-0CEB-4D16-A9B5-1AAA5C2BD8FA.jpeg

Very nice and clean killer setup! What are those small silver boxes on top of your Dave and Blu?

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #4,352 of 25,550
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #4,355 of 25,550
I would recommend a Forza Noir Hybrid cable, which is far less expensive than a Norne Silvergarde or Cardas Clear cable and I suspect that the sound quality improvement will be as great.
I will second your Forza Noir Hybrid cable recommendation. I bought the cable with a matching extender cable terminated in Furatech banana plugs to connect to a Chord TToby amp. Terrific.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #4,356 of 25,550
Has anyone had experience with the Shiit Raganrok 2 and Susvara?

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #4,357 of 25,550
Has anyone had experience with the Shiit Raganrok 2 and Susvara?

I use that combo .. sufficient power but at times, bass felt like it lacked meat. Using the J2 overcame that with authority while keeping a lush black background.

I will second your Forza Noir Hybrid cable recommendation. I bought the cable with a matching extender cable terminated in Furatech banana plugs to connect to a Chord TToby amp. Terrific.

Reviews on that pairing with TToby ?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #4,358 of 25,550
Bakoon AMP 13-R has arrived!

D6040EB8-0B10-49B2-A954-48317E719F31.jpeg4A2611CA-48CF-45FD-9767-BAED093EDF10.jpegC7086B78-B44C-4919-87AC-D16A3975553D.jpeg

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #4,360 of 25,550
you will NOT be disappointed!

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #4,361 of 25,550
So, as my ears become more experienced, I've started to notice new things in the Susvaras that I didn't notice before. Mainly, the depth of the soundstage. It's pretty remarkable. From the headphones I have tried (and I've tried most TOTL cans), only the TCs and the Susvaras have that depth of soundstage. I love my SR1as, and find the resolution to be something no other headphones can give me, but the depth of the soundstage is much narrower than the Susvaras or TCs.

As a result, I'm reevaluating my list of the best headphones. I'm going TC first, Susvaras second, Sr1as third, Previously , I had the Susvaras and SR1as reversed.

Through all of this, I've learned that if you focus in on the drumming, you can determine the depth of the soundstage. With the Susvaras I can "see" when the drummer hits the cymbals on the right and left, when the drummer uses the drums right in front of him/her etc. You can actually "see" that the drums in the front are in fact in front of the musician. You can almost "see" when the drummer moves his arms from right to left.

This new found understanding of how to listen to headphones is breathtaking. It's beautiful and psychedelic. It really is like taking a hallucinogen for your ears. This holographic image and soundstage depth is absolutely amazing.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #4,362 of 25,550
So, as my ears become more experienced, I've started to notice new things in the Susvaras that I didn't notice before. Mainly, the depth of the soundstage. It's pretty remarkable. From the headphones I have tried (and I've tried most TOTL cans), only the TCs and the Susvaras have that depth of soundstage. I love my SR1as, and find the resolution to be something no other headphones can give me, but the depth of the soundstage is much narrower than the Susvaras or TCs.

As a result, I'm reevaluating my list of the best headphones. I'm going TC first, Susvaras second, Sr1as third, Previously , I had the Susvaras and SR1as reversed.

Through all of this, I've learned that if you focus in on the drumming, you can determine the depth of the soundstage. With the Susvaras I can "see" when the drummer hits the cymbals on the right and left, when the drummer uses the drums right in front of him/her etc. You can actually "see" that the drums in the front are in fact in front of the musician. You can almost "see" when the drummer moves his arms from right to left.

This new found understanding of how to listen to headphones is breathtaking. It's beautiful and psychedelic. It really is like taking a hallucinogen for your ears. This holographic image and soundstage depth is absolutely amazing.

Interesting.. where does FA Pro lie ?

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #4,363 of 25,550
Interesting.. where does FA Pro lie ?
Good question. That's one of the few headphones I haven't had the chance to try yet. Actually, I have been looking into the D8000 recently, so it's on my list.

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #4,364 of 25,550
Hi there, we see some of you have been talking about the Susvara now coming with 3.5mm sockets on the headphone rather than 2.5mm. We can confirm this is true. However the reason for this is really quite simple and rather mundane. Its not for any exotic “ooooh it sounds better” reasons, it was just that since the entire rest of our line up had already been moved over to using 3.5mm sockets, it just makes life more simple in the factory if we don’t have to keep a separate stock of 2.5mm sockets just for the Susvara. That’s it. There was no down side to changing the connector and changing made life a little bit easier for the guys in the factory.
I wonder if you guys still do custom runs like this?
IgUXDG0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back