HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #4,261 of 25,638
Don't go by the impedance, it's more the sensitivity that determines how hard to drive a headphone will be. Consider anything below about 90db sensitivity quite hard to drive.
87 dB/mW at 60 ohm. The Hugo 2 can output roughly 370 mW at 60 ohm. Should be good enough.

I'm thinking that maybe a lot of these speakers amps have high amounts of distortion (more so than headphone amps) which could in theory increase the bass amount (perceptually).

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #4,262 of 25,638
87 dB/mW at 60 ohm. The Hugo 2 can output roughly 370 mW at 60 ohm. Should be good enough.

I'm thinking that maybe a lot of these speakers amps have high amounts of distortion (more so than headphone amps) which could in theory increase the bass amount (perceptually).
Are you trolling at this point? :thinking:

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #4,263 of 25,638

The Susvara is 83dB sensitivity : https://hifiman.com/products/detail/275

For every -1db, the power need goes up exponentially.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #4,265 of 25,638
The HE-6 (which had similar or worse efficiency) needed 20 mW to reach 90 dB (plenty of volume). This was measured by InnerFidelity. There are still 350 mW left lol.

I have Chord Mojo and HE6se (same specs than HE6), I secretly hoped that Mojo would drive HE6se decently if listening to moderate volume : how wrong I was, plenty of clipping and distorsion, absolutely no dynamics, few seconds of listening destroyed hours of forum reading.

I now use Mojo as pure DAC with Flux FA-10 headphone amp (2x16w @32 ohm) : plenty of power and control. Personal experience is the key.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #4,266 of 25,638
I have Chord Mojo and HE6se (same specs than HE6), I secretly hoped that Mojo would drive HE6se decently if listening to moderate volume : how wrong I was, plenty of clipping and distorsion, few seconds of listening destroyed hours of forum reading.

I now use Mojo as pure DAC with Flux FA-10 headphone amp (2x16w @32 ohm) : plenty of power and control. Personal experience is the key.

Yeah, I recently tried the Hugo 2 with the HE6se and it was not able to come close to driving it well. The TT2 on the other hand, drove it abundantly well.

I would imagine it is the same for Susvara.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #4,268 of 25,638
then go for it - don’t let us stop you

unless you are just posting for the sake of posting

all the best

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #4,271 of 25,638
The HE-6 (which had similar or worse efficiency) needed 20 mW to reach 90 dB (plenty of volume). This was measured by InnerFidelity. There are still 350 mW left lol.
are you seriously suggesting to people that they use a hugo2 with a susvara?....the susvara cannot be driven properly by the dave much less the hugo 2 and needs a serious amp to make the purchase worthwhile.....

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #4,272 of 25,638
I have the Hugo 2 and it's definitely not enough. Even the GSX Mini I have doesn't power them to their best ability. They're harder to power than the TC's. With that said however, they don't sound bad or terrible not fully powered to their full potential. I would just think if you spend that type of money on a headphone you'd want to maximize their potential.

If trying to minimize costs I would probably look at using a vintage, low powered stereo amp as an option. I haven't tried that, but there's a lot of bargains out there, it's worth a shot maybe.

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #4,273 of 25,638
I can easily endorse 300B. I have a Cayin HA-300 amp (which is both a speaker amp and headphone amp, though it's marketed as a headphone-first amp, you might say) and like the Susvara on it a great deal. Soundstage is as large and deep as I expect with the Susvara on anything, and it's not lacking for punch in the low end.

Ah.. I've been on the fence for a HA300, can you push me over the edge? Please say something like.. it's comparable to WA33 for half the price, etc. :p

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #4,275 of 25,638
I buy the Rag2 for Susvara, still waiting for shipment
Same! I have been loving the Rag2. My susvara are arriving today and I can't wait to pair them up. The Rag2 has an incredibly open soundstage and details I've not noticed before are easy to spot. Not to mention the grunt and meat behind it's ample power. Great amp and I'm surprised to not read about it more, especially in this and the Abyss threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back