HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 31, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #4,292 of 25,440
I'm cracking up right now at how bad the build quality is on my brand new Susvara. In addition to both sides of the ear cups squeeking when I rotate/swivel them, the right side headband adjustment is so loose that it slides through all the clicks and goes right to the top as soon as they go on my head. There is no resistance to hold it where it should stop. What the hell, I thought they had fixed all these issues since 2017?

Well, I put a tiny drop of lubrication in the hinges to stop the squeeking for now and put felt pads above the spot in the headband adjustment where I need it to stop. I swear, is there any other company that has the audacity to sell such build quality at the price they're charging?

I'll definitely be exchanging this pair.
I had the same issue with the headband on a brand new Susvara recently, on my pair both sides were too loose. Definitely very weird for a brand new pair straight out of the box.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #4,293 of 25,440
So I got a brand new Susvara today. My dealer tried to get me a new unit, fresh from China. It still has the 2.5mm connectors and it's squeeky when turning the ear cups. Standard Hifiman quality, definitely not better than the HE1000 series, like I've heard implied. Seems exactly like the same build quality. I haven't heard them yet, so no first sound impressions yet.

New Revision? I really want to know if there's a new revision with 3.5mm connectors. Can anyone who has the new revision post more pictures? How did you get this new revision @GoldenOne? You're the only one so far posting about it. @TeamHiFiMAN please, please, confirm this for us. Is there a new revision of the Susvara, similar to the recent updates to Arya and HE series that uses 3.5mm connectors? When will those units be in rotation?

These were gotten as a warranty replacement directly from hifiman. I have no idea if the 3.5mm is a permanent change or not. A friend of mine recently just got a brand new pair which was direct from hifiman too apparently, and that was 2.5mm. So it seems either the 3.5mm was a temporary, now reversed change, or they still have some 2.5mm ones remaining that are being sent out. (perhaps if you are in the US they have some stocked in a warehouse etc, i'm in the UK and mine was shipped directly from China)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #4,294 of 25,440
These were gotten as a warranty replacement directly from hifiman. I have no idea if the 3.5mm is a permanent change or not. A friend of mine recently just got a brand new pair which was direct from hifiman too apparently, and that was 2.5mm. So it seems either the 3.5mm was a temporary, now reversed change, or they still have some 2.5mm ones remaining that are being sent out.
As another data-point, I just received a full replacement unit under warranty this morning and it's 2.5mm. Also, nothing wrong with the unit, quality-control-wise.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #4,295 of 25,440
Warranty replacements galore... The deal I had with another headfier fell through because of the headband issue. Would love to own these, but this is not reassuring...

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #4,296 of 25,440
Warranty replacements galore... The deal I had with another headfier fell through because of the headband issue. Would love to own these, but this is not reassuring...
They're pretty good about replacing if you have any issues, as long as it's under warranty. I believe the Susvara carry a 3 year warranty, so you should be covered.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #4,297 of 25,440
These were gotten as a warranty replacement directly from hifiman. I have no idea if the 3.5mm is a permanent change or not. A friend of mine recently just got a brand new pair which was direct from hifiman too apparently, and that was 2.5mm. So it seems either the 3.5mm was a temporary, now reversed change, or they still have some 2.5mm ones remaining that are being sent out. (perhaps if you are in the US they have some stocked in a warehouse etc, i'm in the UK and mine was shipped directly from China)
That means they have probably started producing the revision with the 3.5mm and there is still plenty of old stock 2.5mm left that are being circulated. We'll probably start to see more people with the new revision over the next month or so, hopefully. Otherwise @GoldenOne you have a super rare Susvara that will go down as a collector's item!

Where is @TeamHiFiMAN .... please shed some light on this topic.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #4,298 of 25,440
Jul 31, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #4,299 of 25,440
I have owned 2 pair...rest easy, the build quality issue is way overblown and they are comfortable and sound wonderful

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #4,301 of 25,440
I have owned 2 pair...rest easy, the build quality issue is way overblown and they are comfortable and sound wonderful

Listening to my Susvara right now and I get a wonderful meaty sound with SR-009-like quickness...how many headphones can pull that off? Comfort is off the charts and I am quite satisfied with the build quality (using a Cardas Clear balanced cable...just brilliant). The stock cable is definitely worth upgrading though.

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #4,302 of 25,440
Hey guys

I have an opportunity to get the susvara. But they're out of warranty. Sorry, I've not read through this whole thread.. But are there any instances of driver failure or loose jacks etc? And if so, has anyone updated on costs of driver replacements?

Also, I have the abyss 1266 TC Phi, Utopia, Stellia. Previously owned Meze empy and Verite Closed. Would the Susvara bring anything new to the table?

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #4,303 of 25,440
Hey guys

I have an opportunity to get the susvara. But they're out of warranty. Sorry, I've not read through this whole thread.. But are there any instances of driver failure or loose jacks etc? And if so, has anyone updated on costs of driver replacements?

Also, I have the abyss 1266 TC Phi, Utopia, Stellia. Previously owned Meze empy and Verite Closed. Would the Susvara bring anything new to the table?

They are in my top 5 headphones of all-time...pushing the top 1 or 2 actually. :)

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #4,304 of 25,440
They are in my top 5 headphones of all-time...pushing the top 1 or 2 actually. :)

Very much agreed. I think they're undoubtedly the most well rounded of any flagship headphone atm. I think the squeaking and stuff is certainly a big issue for HFM, but I've cycled through 3 or 4 different HFM's now through the years and I've never had any big issues. Either there's an issue right off the bat, or you're generally ok moving forward.

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #4,305 of 25,440
Is it fair to assume that if my amps can drive my 1266, they would be just fine for the Susvara?

@MacedonianHero I have to stop reading your posts man haha you have been one of the main enablers of spending for me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back