HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 28, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #3,317 of 25,685
Its the "IN-9 Nixielyzer" a 6 band spectrum analyzer from Mr. Nixie. Just for visuals :)

Very cool. I love everything Nixie. Actually one Nixie is the input selector in the main DAC at my workshop! At times I can't stop staring at it!

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jan 28, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #3,318 of 25,685
Can someone here do a detailed comparison of the Abyss 1266 TC vs the Susvara?

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #3,319 of 25,685
Can someone here do a detailed comparison of the Abyss 1266 TC vs the Susvara?

Thanks!

I have some thoughts on this, which I posted in the Abyss thread here.

There's also that big thread by @matthewhypolite .

I'd also say that while browsing people's opinions on this topic, it's important to get a sense of how they've been driving the two headphones in reaching their respective conclusions.

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #3,320 of 25,685
I have some thoughts on this, which I posted in the Abyss thread here.

There's also that big thread by @matthewhypolite .

I'd also say that while browsing people's opinions on this topic, it's important to get a sense of how they've been driving the two headphones in reaching their respective conclusions.

What he said, i was going to reference you to my post as well.

And yes, gear is important, i used to do all my reviews using a midrange solid state rig, so everything is consistent, and reflective of what the majority of users would experience. but at some point i switched to just using my best gear. I still have my old gear hooked up so i can always use it as a reference point to see how well a headphone scales with better gear.

If you have any additional questions outside of llamaluv and my thread, let us know.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #3,321 of 25,685
Word.

I also wanna say, since this topic is one I find most interesting these days, is that I'm beginning to feel like I was a little hard on the TC in my own comparison post. :) I think I'd rate the TC a little higher now than I did before after more listening and tweaking a couple things in my signal chain that have benefited the TC. Though my overall opinions between the two are essentially the same as before.

But yea, both are super-interesting headphones that can take a bit of experimenting to get them to sound their best -- both in "objective" and "subjective" terms, I think.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #3,322 of 25,685
Word.

I also wanna say, since this topic is one I find most interesting these days, is that I'm beginning to feel like I was a little hard on the TC in my own comparison post. :) I think I'd rate the TC a little higher now than I did before after more listening and tweaking a couple things in my signal chain that have benefited the TC. Though my overall opinions between the two are essentially the same as before.

But yea, both are super-interesting headphones that can take a bit of experimenting to get them to sound their best -- both in "objective" and "subjective" terms, I think.
Agreed.

They are both spectacular in their own right, and shine at different things.

Id be happy with either. But still prefer the TC if I had to keep jsut one :)

The genres that favor the TC, they are just out of this world good. But the genres that favor the susvara, I feel like the TC is a close 2nd still. So overall, although the susvara does certain genres better imo, when the TC is better, it's better by a larger margin. And not far behind in the places it looses to susvara.

But I guess if you only listen to music that favors susvara then get that. I personally however listen to a wide range of music.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #3,323 of 25,685
Final Question:

Based on most peoples' posts it seems like the common denominator is that they keep the TC and have companions such as Susvara/LCD4/Utopia.

From a being versatile stand point which combo makes the most sense you think and WHY?

This should be an interesting question...

Thank you in advance. I have my Abyss on the way and am pretty excited.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #3,324 of 25,685
Agreed.

They are both spectacular in their own right, and shine at different things.

Id be happy with either. But still prefer the TC if I had to keep jsut one :)

The genres that favor the TC, they are just out of this world good. But the genres that favor the susvara, I feel like the TC is a close 2nd still. So overall, although the susvara does certain genres better imo, when the TC is better, it's better by a larger margin. And not far behind in the places it looses to susvara.

But I guess if you only listen to music that favors susvara then get that. I personally however listen to a wide range of music.

Really really like how you broke this down, very very helpful.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #3,325 of 25,685
Final Question:

Based on most peoples' posts it seems like the common denominator is that they keep the TC and have companions such as Susvara/LCD4/Utopia.

From a being versatile stand point which combo makes the most sense you think and WHY?

This should be an interesting question...

Thank you in advance. I have my Abyss on the way and am pretty excited.

If you own the TC, I'd forget about the utopia. The susvara is a much better pair. Being superior to the utopia to my ears, but also being different enough from the TC where it makes sense.

If u take a look at my TOTL review, and look at rhe genre chart, you'll see that there are no genres where I gave the win to utopia over the other 2.

Ive not heard the lcd4 so can't speak to that, but to my ears the TC and Susvara are in their own league above the utopia.

P. S. I currently own all 3. I use the utopia on my gaming rig. I've tried a couple times over the last year to use the utopia on my main rig for music, but it jsut doesn't make sense next to the other 2.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #3,326 of 25,685
Too Awesome is you. Grammer not needed.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #3,327 of 25,685
My take is that the Susvara sounds most predictably like itself so long as its driven half-way decently. With higher-end and more powerful amps, it sounds better and better (better dynamics, deeper bass, greater resolve, better separation/space/soundstage, etc), but its underlying character doesn't change so much, and has the least amount of issues in terms of tonality with changes happening upstream.

I'm still trying to understand the range of positives and negatives that different upstream components can bring to the TC, but IMO it has the potential to sound a little coarse in the treble and upper-mids, can have tonality issues in the lower mids (too recessed) and in the bass (too much of it -- also depending on fit, of course), and a little smeary in terms of its imaging. The Susvara has no inclinations towards those issues. I know a number of people would probably react pretty strongly against these (soft-ish) criticisms, but that's how I hear it, thus far. Anyway, the Abyss has strengths that other headphones just cannot compete with (bass, dynamics, soundstage, overall drama...). So when dialed in, can sound pretty stunning.

The Utopia IMO has the greatest range in character based on what's going on upstream, I think due to its speed and overall great technicalities. It is by no means "thin", "bright", or "bass-lite" when driven with the right stuff behind it... I still think it has the most realistic, non-veiled sound out of anything I listen to.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #3,328 of 25,685
The Utopia IMO has the greatest range in character based on what's going on upstream, I think due to its speed and overall great technicalities. It is by no means "thin", "bright", or "bass-lite" when driven with the right stuff behind it... I still think it has the most realistic, non-veiled sound out of anything I listen to.
Agreed 100%!

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3,329 of 25,685
And not far behind in the places it looses to susvara.

This gives me something to think about. But Susvaras these days at my place, damn. A keeper. SQ that makes me wonder how much better can it get with headphones, if any at all. Hopefully I'll be able to audition TC in Munich in three months from now on. After stuff you wrote (and many other comments), this time though I'll have my time with them.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jan 31, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #3,330 of 25,685
the TC and susvara are to my ears the best HP's available and the state of the art....it is a flip of a coin between the 2 and it is always the last one of the 2 that I think is best !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back