HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #24,736 of 25,688
I'm getting wavedream sig balanced in a few weeks to try with the aic10 then my wa33 so will report back
Sweet. Same dac. Awesome.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #24,737 of 25,688
Jealous. I enjoyed my time with the Susvara and AIC immensely. Absolutely an amazing combo. I also really enjoyed it with more sensitive headphones like the R10 as well, definitely a treat. I would definitely sell my two dynamic amps and spring for it if it hadn't risen so much in price. Enjoy! Looking forward to the comparisons.
It's absolutely glorious with susvara. Very very impressed. Still need to try 1266tc on the aic10

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #24,739 of 25,688
Say, do speaker guys spend $5500 on speaker cables for their $6000 speakers?
When your meal cost 100-200 USD on average, 5.5K USD cables are just a few McDonalds away.

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #24,740 of 25,688
Say, do speaker guys spend $5500 on speaker cables for their $6000 speakers?
Only in very rare cases, to my knowledge. You can simply get a lot more speaker for $11-12k than you can for $6k, so that's the rational place to spend the difference. The typical consumer of insanely-priced cables is someone investing six figures or more on the entire system. Granted, there are always exceptions.

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #24,741 of 25,688
I got to try the Voila on my personal Susvara and swapped it my with Chimera as well against the Danacable amp.

The Voila seems to add more weight to the music while the Chimera seems to sound better across the whole range.

I can’t say much more than that because I only evaluated it for a few minutes.

Tungsten with voila adds Susvara like sub bass but Tungsten on chimera seems to sound better across the frequency range.

It would be nice to AB them in a controlled environment but it’s CanJam. At the very least I’m curious to try the Danacable range.
I tried the Voila at CanJam.... sounded great, but that thing is like a rope. You could tow a boat with it. Ergonomics count for just as much in a cable as the sonic impact, IMO. This one just isn't for me no matter how good it sounds.

Sail-Boat-Rope.jpg

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #24,743 of 25,688
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #24,744 of 25,688
Intersting , considering we use the same HP amps (Bliss/Stellaris) .
I find that the Stellaris lacks the control that a higher current/more powerful amp like the Bliss/Pass Speaker amps can provide .
For the Susvara, everything just sounds a little too bloated and relatively distorted at higher volumes with the Stellaris. Could be a chain/tube synergy thing perhaps?
Not the right tube amp for it. It needs current for that control and Stellaris isn't able to provide that. You can make Susvara loud since tubes have high gain and high voltage, but not enough current for that iron grip in the control department. You'd have a better tube experience with 300B amps like the Envy or WA33 Elite or hybrid amps like Riviera AIC-10 and to a lesser extent the Kallyste Amethyst
I feel like maybe you're looking at solid state power as the ultimate perfection and anything that deviates from that is "bloated", "distorted", or doesn't have "control". Tubes don't sound like solid state, they're not supposed to. Susvara sounds magical on Stellaris in my setup, it amps up that 2A3 magic almost more than Utopia even. Maybe it's a DAC or tube difference thing? But to each his own. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #24,745 of 25,688
They do. I mean you can still use those cables when you upgrade your speakers...
somebody who spends 100k on speakers might spend 5k on cables but surely not somebody who spends 5k on speakers

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #24,747 of 25,688
somebody who spends 100k on speakers might spend 5k on cables but surely not somebody who spends 5k on speakers
If your speakers are headphones...

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #24,748 of 25,688
I am constantly amazed how hard the susvara hits when listening through the envy/ER300...the bass is impressive and the imagining and detail are simply marvelous...I am constantly amazed how good the susvara is when I put it on after having gone a few days without listening to it

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #24,749 of 25,688
That's what I'm getting at. I've seen $20k speaker cables, no doubt meant to go with your six figure speakers and $50k/pair mono blocks.

And perhaps there are some very unique people who would over invest in speaker cables knowing they're eventually upgrading their speakers.

Everything about this Susvara cable talk just screams "get the most expensive cable for the most expensive headphone". At least in the IEM world, $5k cables come with display cases which effectively indicates what the real priority is.

What I can't quite make heads or tails of is how proudly underwhelmed everyone seems to be by these $5k cables. The IEM cats will drum up superlatives just short of hearing hidden extra verses in songs, but here it's like "the cable is great! There's, like, a little more bass, and the soundstage might be a little wider, I dunno, I threw out the other cable".

But hey, don't mind me. Perhaps I'm just bitter/jealous as my setup is quite pedestrian compared to some of the rigs in this chat! Heck, some rigs are set up where the Susvara is the least expensive item in the chain (used prices, anyway)!

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #24,750 of 25,688
I am constantly amazed how hard the susvara hits when listening through the envy/ER300...the bass is impressive and the imagining and detail are simply marvelous...I am constantly amazed how good the susvara is when I put it on after having gone a few days without listening to it
I was just thinking the same thing. I see a lot of people say bass is its weak spot, but I guess a good setup really changes that perception. It's very cool to have a headphone that seems to scale endlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back