HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 15, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #24,526 of 25,688
A really good 300B tube amp. 😁
Or a really good solid state amp with well-implemented crossfeed, i.e. Zahl HM1, iFi Pro iCan, or SPL Phonitor, though many of us are of the opinion that crossfeed, even well-implemented, only corrupts the sound. YMMV.

Mar 15, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #24,527 of 25,688
I know. My first post was asking to envy and cayin owners if they could deliver insane loud even with very low mastered songs like “mi hart will go on” (just an example). One cayin owner was very kind and honest and told me the ha300 was not mi pick if i liked very loud. Im still waiting the envy answer. Ef1000 is too expensive for me. In that range id would choose the trafomatic primavera because the solid state output stage of the ef1000.
I was going to buy the cayin 2000$ preamp, but i couldnt find enough info.
Does anyone knows if with a good tube preamp before burson i could have the holographic sound that tubes gives with the second and third order harmonics in the attack?
A second hand Aries Cerat Genus might meet your needs (which can also power speakers albeit medium to high efficiency ones) ?

Matched with the Aries Cerat Helena DAC I can only imagine the sound would be amazing with the Susvarars (its on my bucket list to try this set-up this year and hopefully one day a Trafomatic Primavera too)

Even though the EF1000 has a SS power amp (matched with it's tube pre-amp), the EF1000 doesn't sound like a SS amp at all, far from it !

Mar 15, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #24,528 of 25,688
it is plenty loud...in fact I am shocked how much gain the envy puts out and the soundstage is very wide and can be changed with different tubes...all in all an outstanding experience for me
Thx a lot, thats what i wanted to know. First i have to wait hifiman to send me my xlr cable, those days im listening from the single ended output, all my related impressions are from when i could listen to the balanced output, before one susvara driver died, and it was only 48 hours. After listening again the burson fully balanced with calm, im not buying an envy. But it seems i will end doing it. And its on stock in spain. I really like my burson but i bought it for the aryas v2 not for susvaras.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #24,529 of 25,688
Seconding the 300b tube amp. TheVeterans hit it on the head when describing the Susvaras as a cathedral hall sound when using tubes.

Its honestly insane how good my Susvaras are sounding with this setup. The sound is just so addicting. I thought I wanted a SS detailed sounding system but I was so wrong. One thing im noticing is I can play my music much louder with the tube amp and its just soo enjoyable. I could never play loudly with the Topping A90, it had a kind of shouty feel ? Hard to explain, but yeah it’s a night and day difference with the improvements i’m seeing. Everything is smoothed out and has much more weight. Im hooked

That's tube magic for you :L3000:

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #24,531 of 25,688
Mar 15, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #24,532 of 25,688
Whats a good dac pairing with a 300b tube amp and susvara ?_?
I actually have this same question. I have a nice setup with an Eversolo DMP-A8 and an iFi iCan Phantom, but it feels like I could be missing something from the Susvara. I also have a Solitaire P on the way and a Modhouse Tungsten that I want to sound awesome along with a set of powered speakers that I want the amp to send signal to as well. Any idea what might be a good sounding setup for me too? The Envy is highly recommended and I have a Matrix Pro MQA I could hook it up with, but I'm not sure that the best option for me. Thoughts? I guess with selling my current DAC/amp, I can do $5-6k total

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #24,533 of 25,688
And for my my budget is less than 2k but I also hunt used gear as well. So we've got two different ranges open for suggestions xD. I see Yggy, Denafrips and Holo all seem to be popular 0_o

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #24,534 of 25,688
I actually have this same question. I have a nice setup with an Eversolo DMP-A8 and an iFi iCan Phantom, but it feels like I could be missing something from the Susvara. I also have a Solitaire P on the way and a Modhouse Tungsten that I want to sound awesome along with a set of powered speakers that I want the amp to send signal to as well. Any idea what might be a good sounding setup for me too? The Envy is highly recommended and I have a Matrix Pro MQA I could hook it up with, but I'm not sure that the best option for me. Thoughts? I guess with selling my current DAC/amp, I can do $5-6k total
I have an Yggy GS (1,700 before tax) and a single Flux Mentor (1,400) (12W per channel). You can get the dual Flux Mentor (2,900) for the full experience (33W per channel at 32 ohms). But over all the sound is incredible on my Susvara. I have a 2nd Flux incoming, with supposedly more sound stage and sonic improvement.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #24,535 of 25,688
I have an Yggy GS (1,700 before tax) and a single Flux Mentor (1,400) (12W per channel). You can get the dual Flux Mentor (2,900) for the full experience (33W per channel at 32 ohms). But over all the sound is incredible on my Susvara. I have a 2nd Flux incoming, with supposedly more sound stage and sonic improvement.
Do provide a review especially after your 2nd Flux Mentor is in place. It will add to our knowledge base.

I have Yggy OG and will try something analogous: Yggy->pre-amp->Tyr monos where pre-amp is either Freya+ w/ upgraded tubes or upgraded Burson 3xGT with sp02 power chips and V7 Vivid op amps. Tyr has no attenuator hence the need for the pre.

I have no self-deception that set-up will compete with a TOTL 300B headphone amp like the Envy Performance in a direct A/B comparison, which even without upgraded tubes would cost twice my intended added outlay of cash- but I hope it will be good enough to satisfy ME. I hope I never hear the Envy or the EF1000 or the other TOTL options, and so reawaken my SQ FOMO. I still hope to die happy (enough) even so. We’ll have to wait and see, I guess.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #24,536 of 25,688
Is there a really good all-in-one DAC/amp that can power the Susvara? I almost got the teac UD-701n, but it didn't look like it had enough power.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #24,537 of 25,688
Is there a really good all-in-one DAC/amp that can power the Susvara? I almost got the teac UD-701n, but it didn't look like it had enough power.
Problem with all in one is they suck a little bit in everything. So we have to pick the best gear of different manufacturer and mix them into our ideal setup. Schiit has a great DAC. Right now Flux Mentor has a great amp. So this is my go to combo.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #24,538 of 25,688
Problem with all in one is they suck a little bit in everything. So we have to pick the best gear of different manufacturer and mix them into our ideal setup. Schiit has a great DAC. Right now Flux Mentor has a great amp. So this is my go to combo.
I suppose the Flux atlas is a bad option then?

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #24,539 of 25,688
I suppose the Flux atlas is a bad option then?
Higher priced DAC doesn’t mean better. I don’t have experience with that DAC so I can’t comment on how they sound.

I got the Yggy GS 2 because it was in my budget and it was highly rated. Though Schiit makes great DACs, I’m not greatly impressed about their amps for the Susvara. For the most part they are known for their speaker amps. Their MJ3 headphone amp sounds good but the Susvara didn’t sound its best. For all other headphones the MJ3 is amazing.

As for other DACs, you’ll have to check with others. This is also why many people go to CanJams and meets. Unfortunately work is too busy for me to attend those.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back