HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 27, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #18,811 of 26,164
I find headphone cables made using litz wire to be sub-optimal. Litz configurations separate each wire individually, and each has a slightly different conductivity, thereby creating a slight smearing (for lack of a better word) from one side to the other and making the sound more "warm" or "natural." This warmth or naturalness is really a function of the small amount of distortion arising from the differences in conductivity. The reality is you are getting less pure/clean sound reproduction.
Really? I've found the opposite, litz wire having a more pure and fluid tone and non-litz is more density and grain, more like what I think of as distortion.

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #18,812 of 26,164
I took advantage of that Black Friday sale and I've got a Chimera on the way!! It seems similar to the C15S, but a little bigger, and tuned for Susvara and Raal.

So far, the most natural cable that was closest to (but much better than) stock was Cardas Clear Beyond. I would have kept it but it didn't have the thump of my Prion4.
What made you go for the Chimera when already having the Prion4?
btw the Chimera is really awesome, had it here for a short audition. Eventually I bought a used Prion4 mostly because of budget reasons but also like its sound that I didn't feel I need more tbh

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #18,813 of 26,164
Love this hifi world.. :),everyone has different taste.. I preferred pure silver over Silver/copper or pure copper... silver, to my ears, bring out more space, airiness over other metal.

My favorite metal is silver/ gold hybrid cae.... it still had trait of pure silver but also brought out more bass as well... n

however I wasn't able tell the difference between different connectors.. fufutech or neutrik, did sound the same for my ears :)
Was “fufutech” on purpose ??….cause I really like it!! LMAO 🤣
Can’t unsee it now…every time I read it I’ll be hearing that in my head.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #18,814 of 26,164
What made you go for the Chimera when already having the Prion4?
btw the Chimera is really awesome, had it here for a short audition. Eventually I bought a used Prion4 mostly because of budget reasons but also like its sound that I didn't feel I need more tbh
Having messed around with the Cardas Clear Beyond and also Dana Lazuli Nirvana it became clear that I need some copper in there to get a realistic tone, texture, and black background. I do like the way copper sits more relaxed. Susvara with Prion4 is a bit pale sounding and the combo recesses vocal midrange a bit, but so far unbeatable with technicalities.

Last week I was thinking two things: Double Helix really can't be beat for technical performance and build quality, and I wish there was a cable that combined Cardas copper litz with Prion4 silver litz. Then I saw the sale email and jumped for it.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #18,815 of 26,164
Susvara with Prion4 is a bit pale sounding and the combo recesses vocal midrange a bit, but so far unbeatable with technicalities.
That is chain dependent imo but I can imagine that. I mostly listen to electronic music and the Prion is perfect for it.

You're up for a treat. The Chimera is amazing and technically even more impressive from memory (I didn't A/B the cables).

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #18,816 of 26,164
Having messed around with the Cardas Clear Beyond and also Dana Lazuli Nirvana it became clear that I need some copper in there to get a realistic tone, texture, and black background. I do like the way copper sits more relaxed. Susvara with Prion4 is a bit pale sounding and the combo recesses vocal midrange a bit, but so far unbeatable with technicalities.

Last week I was thinking two things: Double Helix really can't be beat for technical performance and build quality, and I wish there was a cable that combined Cardas copper litz with Prion4 silver litz. Then I saw the sale email and jumped for it.
The Nirvana is copper and silver, right? I’m considering that cable, since my Cardas Clear went faulty. Thing is I have the old 2.5mm Sus, and I wonder if the small gauge will break on the pricey Lazuli Nirvana too. I almost wish I could swap out my 2.5 for 3.5, but I don’t want to buy a new Sus when my old one is fine.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #18,817 of 26,164
The Nirvana is copper and silver, right? I’m considering that cable, since my Cardas Clear went faulty. Thing is I have the old 2.5mm Sus, and I wonder if the small gauge will break on the pricey Lazuli Nirvana too. I almost wish I could swap out my 2.5 for 3.5, but I don’t want to buy a new Sus when my old one is fine.
Get one of the high end DHC cables and adapters from 3.5 to 2.5 from them as well. Worst case you break the adapters.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #18,818 of 26,164
Get one of the high end DHC cables and adapters from 3.5 to 2.5 from them as well. Worst case you break the adapters.
Great idea! Thanks :beerchug:

I can get an adapter to use with that or the Nirvana

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #18,819 of 26,164
Yes, it is a huge copper silver mix and I used 3.5mm. It wasn't really my taste though, very dense and weighty, not that smooth up top, and a little closed in compared to the other cables. Probably the best detail and black background, but Prion4 was better in other ways.

I never used the original Cardas Clear, but the Beyond was extremely enjoyable, if lacking the bass, tightness, and dynamics of the Prion4 and Nirvana.

FYI, I will be selling my Lazuli Nirvana very soon...

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #18,820 of 26,164
That is chain dependent imo but I can imagine that. I mostly listen to electronic music and the Prion is perfect for it.

You're up for a treat. The Chimera is amazing and technically even more impressive from memory (I didn't A/B the cables).
Yeah, all my stuff is solid state and fairly neutral. I also listen to a lot of electronic, and that is why the Cardas couldn't stay. I need that tight sub bass.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #18,821 of 26,164
Yeah, all my stuff is solid state and fairly neutral. I also listen to a lot of electronic, and that is why the Cardas couldn't stay. I need that tight sub bass.
Have you considered the 1266 TCs? Goat for electronica imho

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #18,822 of 26,164
Have you considered the 1266 TCs? Goat for electronica imho
I've definitely considered them! I'm actually recovering from a neck injury so another 5-6 months physical therapy and saving up and I should be ready. I really like how tight the Diana TC is.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #18,823 of 26,164
I've definitely considered them! I'm actually recovering from a neck injury so another 5-6 months physical therapy and saving up and I should be ready. I really like how tight the Diana TC is.
The 1266 TC is next level with bass. It’s the reason so many of us love them. It’s my fav headphone ever, and I’ve owned a lot of TOTL headphones.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #18,824 of 26,164
The 1266 TC is next level with bass. It’s the reason so many of us love them. It’s my fav headphone ever, and I’ve owned a lot of TOTL headphones.
I owned them for a short time and while I agree with how bass amazing they are, I ended up selling them. Comfort, too specialized use were my two main factors.
I'm now listening to a newly acquired Final Audio D8000K Pro Limited Edition and its bass is also truly amazing although different from the 1266 TC. It's not as punchy slamy in your face presentation and definitely not as wide. But bass tone, texture, depth and balance are amazing on the D8KPLE.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #18,825 of 26,164
Was “fufutech” on purpose ??….cause I really like it!! LMAO 🤣
Can’t unsee it now…every time I read it I’ll be hearing that in my head.
Lol nice catch but yeah now I will say it was intentional hehehe :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back