HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 2, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #166 of 25,658
You can hear the squeaking every time he rotates the cups in that video...... :disappointed_relieved::face_palm:

So that's another thing the susvara borrowed from the HE 1000 V2 (which means no extra investment whatsoever in R&D), what a shame.

Hey hey hey. Stay silent on the squeaking of the earcups. You might trigger some people here like protoss.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #167 of 25,658
Hey hey hey. Stay silent on the squeaking of the earcups. You might trigger some people here like protoss.

Again, you're referring to old pre-production prototype, which is very clearly shown in your pictures. The production Susvara I'm listening to does not have the metal squeakiness you are referring to. If metal on metal bothers you, a small drop of any type of mineral or silicone oil will immediately clear up most of that noise. Everyone keeps waxing poetic on Stax SR-009 build quality, but anyone that's ever held one in their hands and have had longer term experience with them (and most Stax) know that the head band assembly is plastic, and quite fragile, especially the head sling mount. I've seen at least two that have broken before. So, I'll take "squeaky" metal over brittle plastic any day. Even the squeakiest abused prototype HiFiMan magneplanars didn't squeak when they were on my head at various meets / shows.

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #168 of 25,658
can somebody confirm that the stock cables of the Susvara are the same as the ones from the HE1000? are they as microphonic and unpleasant to the touch?

9964685.jpg

They're different than the cables from the original HE1000, which was covered in cloth-like multifilament nylon. I like that cable, but the newer one, which looks similar to the one that comes with the HE1000 V2, is more like a transluscent rubber tube around the wires. They're lighter, more flexible, and less microphonic. But they don't look and feel as nice as the older cable. But I guess comfort and sound quality wins there.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #169 of 25,658
Don't like my impression on the Susvara. Okay let me redo it here

The beautifully sunshine and rainbow Susvara. O the gods has shine upon you. $6K for you? No I'll pay $10K for you.
All the problems you showed me when I picked you up from the table will be dismiss by my bias fandom.

The mediocre sound you release has the sound of two Sr-009 in my ears.

The Susvara is a magnificent pair. Hifiman sure has a winner here.

Even thou in 8 months from now a version 2 will be release I will still praise you O mighty Susvara.

I think this is what I was suppose to post here in the first place right?
Whatever, I won't believe any words you say any more

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #170 of 25,658
9964685.jpg

They're different than the cables from the original HE1000, which was covered in cloth-like multifilament nylon. I like that cable, but the newer one, which looks similar to the one that comes with the HE1000 V2, is more like a transluscent rubber tube around the wires. They're lighter, more flexible, and less microphonic. But they don't look and feel as nice as the older cable. But I guess comfort and sound quality wins there.
BTW It looks similar from the HE1000 version

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #171 of 25,658
I have wa33 on preorder and HEK v2 on process (upgrading from HEK v1), I hope someday I can bring back this headphone home.. I really like hifiman sound except all the issue but still can accept it.
Unlike with Audeze, I have driver fail with LCD 3, and it makes me away from audeze product.
Is this headphone really really good? how does it compare to electrostatic headphone, because my next target after getting my wa33 is to purchase electrostatic headphone and use wa33 speaker out with woo wee to powering it for the time being.
considering WA5LE:grimacing:

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #172 of 25,658
9964685.jpg

Cool! Thanks for additional details about the cable. I was asking the question because I got the Edition X V2 recently and have issues with the cable.
It's not microphonic, I can't hear anything when tapping it with my nail. But when I move my head, I can hear the wires hit the walls of the rubber tube, which is very annoying. I was wondering if the Susvara/HE1000 cable was any different in this regard.

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #173 of 25,658
Wow the cable in that unboxing video sucks.

Again, you're referring to old pre-production prototype, which is very clearly shown in your pictures. The production Susvara I'm listening to does not have the metal squeakiness you are referring to. If metal on metal bothers you, a small drop of any type of mineral or silicone oil will immediately clear up most of that noise. Everyone keeps waxing poetic on Stax SR-009 build quality, but anyone that's ever held one in their hands and have had longer term experience with them (and most Stax) know that the head band assembly is plastic, and quite fragile, especially the head sling mount. I've seen at least two that have broken before. So, I'll take "squeaky" metal over brittle plastic any day. Even the squeakiest abused prototype HiFiMan magneplanars didn't squeak when they were on my head at various meets / shows.

The headphones in the unboxing video that were squeaking were clearly a retail product - not a prototype.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #174 of 25,658
Wow the cable in that unboxing video sucks.

The headphones in the unboxing video that were squeaking were clearly a retail product - not a prototype.

Talking about these cables, my experience from owning the He-500, the He-6, and especially, the He-K, and the Edition X, is that the sooner the stock cables are replaced with more capable aftermarket alternatives, the much better off the owner is... The stock cables of the Edition-X V2 and the He-1000 v1 & v2 are really pathetic bottlenecks holding back these otherwise wonderful cans from much of the sonic glory they can unleash when armed with more capable and liberating options! Hifiman, I hope you're reading this.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #175 of 25,658
Ignoring the HE1 and ShangriLa systems, Susvara is the most expensive pair of production headphones in the world. They should come with a premium cable, or at the very least, a cable that isn't terminated by a hifiman intern.

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #176 of 25,658
Talking about these cables, my experience from owning the He-500, the He-6, and especially, the He-K, and the Edition X, is that the sooner the stock cables are replaced with more capable aftermarket alternatives, the much better off the owner is... The stock cables of the Edition-X V2 and the He-1000 v1 & v2 are really pathetic bottlenecks holding back these otherwise wonderful cans from much of the sonic glory they can unleash when armed with more capable and liberating options! Hifiman, I hope you're reading this.

I just saw these cables go for $249 for the 3m version on the HiFiMAN website, and $399 for the balanced cable.
a Neutrik 4-pin XLR plug costs what, $5? and the rest of the cable is identical. Do the maths
I find this quite laughable
Bravo HiFiMAN!

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #177 of 25,658
I just saw these cables go for $249 for the 3m version on the HiFiMAN website, and $399 for the balanced cable.
a Neutrik 4-pin XLR plug costs what, $5? and the rest of the cable is identical. Do the maths
I find this quite laughable
Bravo HiFiMAN!

This is the high end area of things, plus you can always get a different cable not sure why people complain, there are 1000$ cables going around as well..

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #178 of 25,658
BTW It looks similar from the HE1000 version

The connectors are the same AFAIK, 2,5 mm mono socketry. This is convenient and affordable if one would like to roll with his own cables.

Even the squeakiest abused prototype HiFiMan magneplanars didn't squeak when they were on my head at various meets / shows.

My HE-1000 V1 are squeaky still and that's treatable via oil. Still, it doesn't matter whether it's HE-1000 squeakiness or SR-009 plastic you've mentioned. The thing is that in these two price range it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Products of caliber this heavy should be dandy in terms of such small things, at least that's what their high ask indicates if someone asks me. Just sayin'...

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jul 3, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #180 of 25,658
Ignoring the HE1 and ShangriLa systems, Susvara is the most expensive pair of production headphones in the world. They should come with a premium cable, or at the very least, a cable that isn't terminated by a hifiman intern.

You know, because they don't, people like me have something to do :ksc75smile:

Jokes aside, yeah, I agree that premium headphones should have premium cables included in the package. Most of us here are probably well aware of the difference it makes.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en

Users who are viewing this thread

Back