HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 22, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #1,741 of 25,684
What I would like to know is how the Soundaware P1 compares to the V281 when driving a Susvara. My V281 is much better than my iCan pro when it comes to driving my Susvara even though many forum members like the iCan pro when used with the Susvara.

Jeff.

If the P1 can rival and possibly surpass the MHA100, I think we have that answer. But if anything, as Gordec still has the P1, you should let him demo the V281.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #1,742 of 25,684
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,743 of 25,684
Has anyone tried the Niimbus with Susvara (versus P1 versus V281....) ?
https://www.niimbus-audio.com/products
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nii...us4-us4-headphone-amps-by-lake-people.876018/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...r-includes-large-high-end-amp-roundup.886668/

I am happy with my iFi Pro iCan but the Niimbus is one of the amps (except for P1 and V281) I would like to try one day.

Someone has and they said,

"That said, I do hear some differences when switching back and forth. I'd start by saying the US4+ has bass performance both calmer and richer than the V281. A contradiction? Not really. It's effortless. Bottomless. Thunderous. Unflappable. All at the same time. Whether playing bombastic large scale orchestral works, Felix Hell pipe-organ, Gary Karr double-bass, or Edit-Select's Phlox, the Niimbus brings a sense of authority which V281 doesn't quite match. This can be heard on Keeno's Futurist,where the track "Bleary-Eyed" incorporates rapid thumping kick-drum strikes along with a simultaneous rolling bassline that really plumbs the depths. Niimbus handles both aspects with more control and resolution than any amp I've heard, including the V281 (which already performs at a very high level). It's really sort of breathtaking when the right headphones are involved.

The rest of the spectrum sounds more open and refined via Niimbus. It allows me to hear bigger jumps in quality when going from a good DAC to a great one, then all the way up to world-class level. It's also more likely to showcase the improvement brought by tweaks such as the Wyred4Sound Recovery reclocker (depending on the DAC, obviously). Again, V281 is exceptional in its own right, but the US4+ just scales higher, bringing with it new revelations into my playback chain."

"The 307A is a potent amp that actually does quite well with difficult loads. Yet Niimbus is even more versatile. Something like an HE-6 or Susvara played at really high volume has the 307A losing just a bit of composure, while the Niimbus feels effortless. And with more sensitive headphones like the Utopia or K812, the 307A comes on a bit strong at low levels - you really don't get much usable travel on that volume knob. Niimbus, with its adjustable pre-gain and 256-step attenuator, offers much more range and thus a more enjoyable experience."

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,744 of 25,684
Has anyone tried the Niimbus with Susvara (versus P1 versus V281....) ?
https://www.niimbus-audio.com/products
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nii...us4-us4-headphone-amps-by-lake-people.876018/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...r-includes-large-high-end-amp-roundup.886668/

I am happy with my iFi Pro iCan but the Niimbus is one of the amps (except for P1 and V281) I would like to try one day.
Same here, I'm more than interested to hear the Niimbus US 4+ and the P1 with the Susvara's. The Niimbus definitely seems like a step up in performance to the Pro iCan but it's also 3x's the price. But at the way @lunarhjs has described the sound of the Niimbus US 4+ it sound like my kind of amp!

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,745 of 25,684
If the P1 can rival and possibly surpass the MHA100, I think we have that answer. But if anything, as Gordec still has the P1, you should let him demo the V281.

I wouldn't say P1 is better than MHA100. It's a different sound. P1 sounds airier and a little more natural. MHA100 sounds thicker with better bass and drives speakers. It will depend on personal preference. I need to do more back and forth. My P1 is a loaner, but I think it's such a great value. I just wish it looks the part. The build quality looks like it's worth $300. MHA100 looks like a collectors piece.

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #1,746 of 25,684
Someone has and they said,

"That said, I do hear some differences when switching back and forth. I'd start by saying the US4+ has bass performance both calmer and richer than the V281. A contradiction? Not really. It's effortless. Bottomless. Thunderous. Unflappable. All at the same time. Whether playing bombastic large scale orchestral works, Felix Hell pipe-organ, Gary Karr double-bass, or Edit-Select's Phlox, the Niimbus brings a sense of authority which V281 doesn't quite match. This can be heard on Keeno's Futurist,where the track "Bleary-Eyed" incorporates rapid thumping kick-drum strikes along with a simultaneous rolling bassline that really plumbs the depths. Niimbus handles both aspects with more control and resolution than any amp I've heard, including the V281 (which already performs at a very high level). It's really sort of breathtaking when the right headphones are involved.

The rest of the spectrum sounds more open and refined via Niimbus. It allows me to hear bigger jumps in quality when going from a good DAC to a great one, then all the way up to world-class level. It's also more likely to showcase the improvement brought by tweaks such as the Wyred4Sound Recovery reclocker (depending on the DAC, obviously). Again, V281 is exceptional in its own right, but the US4+ just scales higher, bringing with it new revelations into my playback chain."

"The 307A is a potent amp that actually does quite well with difficult loads. Yet Niimbus is even more versatile. Something like an HE-6 or Susvara played at really high volume has the 307A losing just a bit of composure, while the Niimbus feels effortless. And with more sensitive headphones like the Utopia or K812, the 307A comes on a bit strong at low levels - you really don't get much usable travel on that volume knob. Niimbus, with its adjustable pre-gain and 256-step attenuator, offers much more range and thus a more enjoyable experience."
Are you using the V281 on the balanced headphone out. It is much better outputting from that port. It uses both amps.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,747 of 25,684
Are you using the V281 on the balanced headphone out. It is much better outputting from that port. It uses both amps.
V281 is best driven balanced . All four amps are used in balanced mode. Unbalanced uses 2 amps.
After trying susvara and abyss phi with v281, I can say that v281 easily drives them.
At 0 gain the volume pot is around 11-2 o clock and 10 to 1 o clock for susvara and abyss phi respectively.
Susvara is the least efficient hp I have ever listened. They really respond to raw power. The susvara thread starter had used v281 in his review. Check out the the review by @ostewart .
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-susvara.22588/reviews

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #1,748 of 25,684
with my 281 and dave/blu2 i have to use the pre gain -6 or -12 when using balanced for the abyss and susvara and with the susvara i am usually at 12 or maybe 1...with the abyss more like 10-1...the 281 is a beast and EASILY drives anything

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #1,749 of 25,684
with my 281 and dave/blu2 i have to use the pre gain -6 or -12 when using balanced for the abyss and susvara and with the susvara i am usually at 12 or maybe 1...with the abyss more like 10-1...the 281 is a beast and EASILY drives anything

I was choosing between V281 and MHA100. I had no place to audition the V281, so I went with the MHA100. I like the look of V281. Love to hear it. There are base models that go for like $1500 on classifies and versions with volume replay. In terms of just pure amp, there is no difference right?

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,750 of 25,684
i own a mcintosh amp in my loudspeaker system...great amp but the MHA100 was unimpressive to me when i heard it...the 281 is head and shoulders better...in fact i havent heard anything better than the 281 in the price range of up to 3000 dollars ....

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #1,751 of 25,684
I am currently use the Dave/Pass Labs PHA-1 to drive my Susvaras and cannot imagine any more improvement, but if it is possible I am all in.
Is the Niimbus US 4+ available for purchase somewhere? If so, could someone share a link? Thank you.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #1,755 of 25,684
If the V281 was considered a student that can sufficiently drive the Susvara, the Niimbus is claimed as a graduate and is from the same people that made the V281. The company claims the Niimbus is several steps above and their ultimate line of product. I think this product that is releasing next month has potential to be supreme. Curious how it would compare to MHA and P1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back