HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 18, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,726 of 25,546
Thanks, Susvara sounds very real to me with Pro iCan. The space is great as well. I would like to try the P1 but not sure if it is available locally...

Yeah if you like Pro iCan, no need to try the P1. Most Suvara owners love the Pro iCan. I think I’m the only one who doesnt like it, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #1,727 of 25,546
Yeah if you like Pro iCan, no need to try the P1. Most Suvara owners love the Pro iCan. I think I’m the only one who doesnt like it, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I drive my Susvara's with the Pro iCan and I'm not opposed at all to trying different amps. My problem, like so many others in this forum, is the lack of availability. There are no local shops in my area that sell high end gear. It sucks to have to keep buying gear blindly only to find out it doesn't suit your musical preferences. Then comes the hassle of sending it back or taking a loss selling it on your own.

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #1,728 of 25,546

Thanks, just curiosity. I love Susvara with Pro iCan and I can hardly imagine any improvement.

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #1,729 of 25,546
I drive my Susvara's with the Pro iCan and I'm not opposed at all to trying different amps. My problem, like so many others in this forum, is the lack of availability. There are no local shops in my area that sell high end gear. It sucks to have to keep buying gear blindly only to find out it doesn't suit your musical preferences. Then comes the hassle of sending it back or taking a loss selling it on your own.

Trust me, regardless where you live, it’s an issue. I live in San Francisco, and we have a few shops carrying high end gear, but there is such high pressure for you to buy from them. I stopped going. I don’t mind supporting local shops, but they are kind of cocky and rude. I try to get on these loaner programs as much as I can.

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,730 of 25,546
Trust me, regardless where you live, it’s an issue. I live in San Francisco, and we have a few shops carrying high end gear, but there is such high pressure for you to buy from them. I stopped going. I don’t mind supporting local shops, but they are kind of cocky and rude. I try to get on these loaner programs as much as I can.

+1

'Buy to try' is the only way I have been able to hear gear for myself in MY system.

Audio shows are OK but you don't know what gear sounds like until you get it home and pair it with YOUR system.

That's a downfall of this hobby that I have yet to find a solution for...

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,731 of 25,546
+1

'Buy to try' is the only way I have been able to hear gear for myself in MY system.

Audio shows are OK but you don't know what gear sounds like until you get it home and pair it with YOUR system.

I agree completely,listening at loud crowded shows is impossible.....the only place to do so is in a quiet showroom or in your home

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #1,732 of 25,546
+1

There is The Cable Company's headphone lending library, and some other stores have something similar where you can have a headphone (or something else) in YOUR system for over a week. I plan to make use of this to get to know the Susvara.

There are also in-store auditions which can be great since it won't be loud like an audio show. I do in-store auditions using my Chord Hugo 2, though for headphones that need way more amplification than that like the Susvara, I don't bother. However, if one has something like the Chord Hugo TT 2, they could easily bring that to a store that lets you audition headphones.

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #1,733 of 25,546

The Soundaware P1 sounds so good with Susvara. I can't stop listening to this combo. Not the best looking amp. Mha100 puts it to shame in the looks department, but boy do they sound amazing. Looks like Applebee's, tastes like Ruth Chris's.

I'd understand with the new found ecstasy you obtained w the P1, that you'd put the MHA100 for sale in replacement for a new P1.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #1,734 of 25,546
Had the pleasure of listening to the Susvara and the SR-009S side by side yesterday. The Susvara was driven by the Viva Egoista 845, the Stax by the Viva Audio Egoista 2A3. Same DAC and source.

I tested them during one of the quieter moments of the show, quickly A/Bed 15secs back to back on several songs, thus these are just quick initial comparative impressions.

I tried on the 009S first, and immediately was struck by the amount of detail being communicated through. The headphone seemed very balanced throughout the frequency range, and exhibited a great sense of air and detail. Almost like the lightest most sumptuous fluff of whipped cream. So light footed and agile. The Susvara seemed almost clumsy in comparison, which isnt to say that it is, but the 009S are very very quick. On the other hand, the Susvara, w great power on reserve courtesy of the 845, highlighted just how much information was lacking in the lower frequencies of the 009S. The Susvara had quite a bit more body, and weight in the lower and mid registers, which gave the impression of greater natural warmth. It was simply more natural, more effortless, and ultimately more pleasing to listen to at length. Some may see this tonal mass as slightly sluggish when compared to the 009S, but I think the Susvara has it more 'right'. Still, I can totally understand why some people would prefer the 009S depending on taste, and type of music. It is very easy to marvel at the great technicalities of the Stax. The 009S sense of deft is admirable but less realistic than the Susvara imo.

I expected greater holographic soundstage from the Susvara, but found them both equally adept in their own way. I would say it depends on the the style of presentation you prefer. Comfort is excellent on both. Found them comfier than the Utopia nearby. No clear winner here, both excellent headphones.

1Wim9oJm.jpg
3qKQjkjm.jpg

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,735 of 25,546
Had the pleasure of listening to the Susvara and the SR-009S side by side yesterday. The Susvara was driven by the Viva Egoista 845, the Stax by the Viva Audio Egoista 2A3. Same DAC and source.

I tested them during one of the quieter moments of the show, quickly A/Bed 15secs back to back on several songs, thus these are just quick initial comparative impressions.

I tried on the 009S first, and immediately was struck by the amount of detail being communicated through. The headphone seemed very balanced throughout the frequency range, and exhibited a great sense of air and detail. Almost like the lightest most sumptuous fluff of whipped cream. So light footed and agile. The Susvara seemed almost clumsy in comparison, which isnt to say that it is, but the 009S are very very quick. On the other hand, the Susvara, w great power on reserve courtesy of the 845, highlighted just how much information was lacking in the lower frequencies of the 009S. The Susvara had quite a bit more body, and weight in the lower and mid registers, which gave the impression of greater natural warmth. It was simply more natural, more effortless, and ultimately more pleasing to listen to at length. Some may see this tonal mass as slightly sluggish when compared to the 009S, but I think the Susvara has it more 'right'. Still, I can totally understand why some people would prefer the 009S depending on taste, and type of music. It is very easy to marvel at the great technicalities of the Stax. The 009S sense of deft is admirable but less realistic than the Susvara imo.

I expected greater holographic soundstage from the Susvara, but found them both equally adept in their own way. I would say it depends on the the style of presentation you prefer. Comfort is excellent on both. Found them comfier than the Utopia nearby. No clear winner here, both excellent headphones.

1Wim9oJm.jpg
3qKQjkjm.jpg

The Susvara's sound changes a lot with the amp you are using. When driven with the right amp, it sounds very holographic with a sweet and natural presentation. The overall feeling is similar to Sennheiser HE1 while the HE1 wins in the depth department. It took me a handful of amps to really find the right match for Susvara. The sound changed so much from Pro iCan to MHA100 to P1. Very sexy looking amp BTW.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #1,736 of 25,546
The Susvara's sound changes a lot with the amp you are using. When driven with the right amp, it sounds very holographic with a sweet and natural presentation. The overall feeling is similar to Sennheiser HE1 while the HE1 wins in the depth department. It took me a handful of amps to really find the right match for Susvara. The sound changed so much from Pro iCan to MHA100 to P1. Very sexy looking amp BTW.

Likewise, SR-009S changes probably even more (given its electrostatic nature) especially with DACs as well. Interesting impressions nonetheless and this is the first time I've heard of Viva Audio.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,737 of 25,546
Likewise, SR-009S changes probably even more (given its electrostatic nature) especially with DACs as well. Interesting impressions nonetheless and this is the first time I've heard of Viva Audio.

I really want to try the 009s. The only experience I had with electrostats is the HE1. I feel like I need to listen to the 009s with a really good amp to understand its true potential.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,738 of 25,546
Thanks for the impressions and comparisons gordec!

It's always helpful to hear what others think, especially when comparing two cans side by side with identical equipment.

Viva has been around for a while. I am familiar with their stereo HiFi line for speaker systems...

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #1,739 of 25,546
the susvara with the dave/blu2 and violectric 281 is sublime

Users who are viewing this thread

Back