HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 8, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #16,591 of 25,604
Jul 8, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #16,594 of 25,604
Yes, I'm aware, but @chesebert said "they only sell direct" which is why I mentioned HeadAmp is a distributor.
I forgot about Headamp - hard for me to think of them as a dealer TBH.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #16,595 of 25,604
I think if Pulsar were actually sold at the same price as Susvara (actual street price), it could be a real competitor to Susvara.

I tested the Susvara and Pulsar side-by-side with same source and amp (see picture above). In that comparison, to my ears the Susvara was better hands down. If the Pulsar sold for $3-4k it would be a great choice.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #16,596 of 25,604
Yeah I do plan to try the Nirvana with the Susvara. Have ordered a DHC Prion 4 for the Susvara. Going by user reviews these two cables are the most frequently recommended for the Sus, although I usually see the DHC Prion 4 being recommended more often. I am told that the Prion 4 preserves what’s right about the Susvara, enhances a bit of its technical performance and makes it slightly more forward, while the Nirvana makes it more “fun”? Some of these impressions are from M0N over at sonus apparatus.

My friend Sumeet also has both. Might buy the Nirvana off him.
Hey Sajid, I thought you recently sold your Susvara! FWIW, I auditioned the Prion 4 with my Susvara, and it's a superb pairing to my ear. I ended up buying a "lesser" (less bulk, much less money :relaxed: ) DHC cable, and have been very content with it. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the Prion 4.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #16,597 of 25,604
Hey Sajid, I though you recently sold your Susvara! FWIW, I auditioned the Prion 4 with my Susvara, and it's a superb pairing to my ear. I ended up buying a "lesser" (less bulk, much less money :relaxed: ) DHC cable, and have been very content with it. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the Prion 4.

What did you end up buying? I'm in the market for a cable and heard great things of the prion4 but can't justify the price (yet.. lol)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #16,598 of 25,604
What did you end up buying? I'm in the market for a cable and heared great things of the prion4 but can't justify the price (yet.. lol)
I think it was something of a custom (copper) cable based on what I told him I wanted. In looking at their website, it resembles the Complement C to a degree. The one thing I didn't care for about the Prion 4 other than bulk was that the two channels were independent cables as opposed to being braided and then split off. This could probably be rectified with wire ties or something similar but more elegant. OTOH, the cable I ended up with is very lightweight and flexible, but a bit microphonic due to the lack of a cotton layer. Seems there's always a tradeoff...

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #16,599 of 25,604
I think it was something of a custom (copper) cable based on what I told him I wanted. In looking at their website, it resembles the Complement C to a degree. The one thing I didn't care for about the Prion 4 other than bulk was that the two channels were independent cables as opposed to being braided and then split off. This could probably be rectified with wire ties or something similar but more elegant. OTOH, the cable I ended up with is very lightweight and flexible, but a bit microphonic due to the lack of a cotton layer. Seems there's always a tradeoff...
reminds me of my criticism of the JPS Superconductor I have for the 1266 TC but I bought that used with the headphones so can't really complain

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #16,600 of 25,604
Who has thrown the Susvara on a tube amp? I know you need something in the $6k+ range to have enough power to even drive them from a tube amp but knowing how much I love my ZMF's on my Euforia, I'm curious how the Susvara performs on a tube amp that can drive it properly :)

I used an Auris Nirvana to drive Susvara for about 6 months before the 23r arrived yesterday. It was very nice and very enjoyable, but when the 23r arrived, it was very clear some bass and sub bass was missing. But if you have a variety of headphones you enjoy, especially ZMF, a high end tube amp can be more than sufficient as an all in one solution!

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #16,601 of 25,604
Hey Sajid, I thought you recently sold your Susvara! FWIW, I auditioned the Prion 4 with my Susvara, and it's a superb pairing to my ear. I ended up buying a "lesser" (less bulk, much less money :relaxed: ) DHC cable, and have been very content with it. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the Prion 4.
I have sold one.

Wasn’t listening to it much.

But at the same time, there is something comforting about having a Susvara in the stable. My collection was feeling incomplete without it lol.

So getting one back. Will try to pad roll, cable roll, and use HQ Player with the May, to see if I can add some life to the Sus.

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #16,602 of 25,604
I have sold one.

But at the same time, there is something comforting about having a Susvara in the stable. My collection was feeling incomplete without it lol.

So getting one back. Will try to pad roll, cable roll, and use HQ Player with the May, to see if I can add some life to the Sus.
try a different DAC!

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #16,603 of 25,604
I used an Auris Nirvana to drive Susvara for about 6 months before the 23r arrived yesterday. It was very nice and very enjoyable, but when the 23r arrived, it was very clear some bass and sub bass was missing. But if you have a variety of headphones you enjoy, especially ZMF, a high end tube amp can be more than sufficient as an all in one solution!
The Sus was missing bass more on the 23r or the Nirvana?

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #16,604 of 25,604
try a different DAC!
Yup. I have had a few on my desk. Settled on May as it can be quite a chameleon with HQPlayer. I use this filter now that makes the TC unlistenable in how aggressive it becomes. Never thought the May could shape-shift so much. Off NOS, its lovely with the TC but too laidback with the Susvara.

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #16,605 of 25,604
I have sold one.

I knew you would come back to us Sajid :wink: :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back