HiFiMan Susvara
May 3, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #15,586 of 25,937
May 3, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #15,588 of 25,937
Depends entirely on your budget and sonic preferences.
Let’s say up to 20k? I’m just wondering if DACs at a certain level are like headphones. They are similar in technicalities but just provide a different flavor.

For example are there hands down any dac that is a lot better than the Dave or is it just preference at this point?

May 3, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #15,589 of 25,937
Let’s say up to 20k? I’m just wondering if DACs at a certain level are like headphones. They are similar in technicalities but just provide a different flavor.

For example are there hands down any dac that is a lot better than the Dave or is it just preference at this point?
+1 on this. I have been looking at the DCS Rossini Apex and after hearing the price increase, I am thinking is there possibly something as good for much less money? I have been saving for it, but it is allot. So I would also be interested if anyone did some comparisons and came up with something.

May 3, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #15,591 of 25,937

It's just preference, IMO. It's also a matter of how much tinkering you're interested in doing. The DAVE has always struck me as an unfinished science project. YMMV.

May 3, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #15,594 of 25,937
MSB Select DAC
Just kidding about the Select. There are a lot of great DACs out there. I bought my Rossini used for less than your price threshold. People do trade them for Vivaldis. Just call some dealers if you want to go that route and get on a list for first dibs. Also, maybe MSB Discrete DAC, Berkeley Alpha Ref 3 or Mola Mola Tambaqui?

May 4, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #15,598 of 25,937
Best DAC for Susvara?
Depends on;
1) Your music genre tastes, music sonic tastes, media you are playing etc.
2) Your music source i.e. just from the PC (with ripped CD red book files or HD downloads etc.), or also / only using a CD / SACD Transporter and playing top quality CDs and SACDs etc.
3) The type and quality of Pre-Amp i.e. tube or SS
4) The type and quality of Power Amp i.e. tube or SS

If your going to spend a lot of money on a DAC you should go and audition them, preferably with your music sources and your other hifi equipment and Susvaras so you have the complete chain you will be using with the DAC. Then and only then will you be able to have some confidence if you are going to like the DAC or not.

Also note that digital technology is for ever developing and moving and becoming cheaper as newer technology comes onto the market. Therefore you need to decide how long you want to keep the DAC and if it's for a long time, how easy it is to update in the future !

May 4, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #15,599 of 25,937
Visit a local dealer, do not buy blind, do not burn $20k.
100% for sure (Also sent another post on this subject a few minutes ago).

May 4, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #15,600 of 25,937
Therefore you need to decide how long you want to keep the DAC and if it's for a long time, how easy it is to update in the future !
Which companies apart from msb manufacture modular dacs ? And kindly put some light on upgradation friendly dacs manufacturing companies (timely software update support / firmware updates / hardware upgrade ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back