HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 22, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #15,541 of 25,936
I tried the Oor/Hypsos for over a week at home and didn’t like the sound signature. It lacked resolution and soundstage depth. It had sufficient power to drive the Susvara, but it wasn’t effortless. I decided to return it and kept using my HPA4 until I bought the Enleum.

The Enleum drives the Susvara effortlessly. The soundstage is tall and wide and full of crazy little details in the foreground and background. It's smooth and natural. I can't find fault with it.
Thanks, very very helpful!

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #15,542 of 25,936
I tried the Oor/Hypsos for over a week at home and didn’t like the sound signature. It lacked resolution and soundstage depth. It had sufficient power to drive the Susvara, but it wasn’t effortless. I decided to return it and kept using my HPA4 until I bought the Enleum.

The Enleum drives the Susvara effortlessly. The soundstage is tall and wide and full of crazy little details in the foreground and background. It's smooth and natural. I can't find fault with it.
Thank you. Very helpful

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #15,543 of 25,936

What DAC were/are you using with these amps?

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #15,546 of 25,936
Apr 22, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #15,547 of 25,936
Agreed. TCs are definitely the best bass headphones you can buy.
How do Sol P differ from the TC? Is it close in the bass department with a darker signature?

Apr 22, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #15,548 of 25,936
I’ve had the Keces S300 power amplifier running my Susvara for almost a month now, and am quite pleased with the combination. It’s a warmer-sounding amp in its high-bias mode, with the first 5 watts in Class A. It has great dynamics and tonality. It is not as pricey nor as technically impressive as some of the other amps mentioned here, but it’s a great amp for Susvara, as it gives the headphone the grunt and impact that my Pathos InPol Ear and iFi iCan Pro lack on their own.

I got the idea to try the Keces S300 from this expansive review of the Susvara with different setups: https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/the-ultimate-hifiman-susvara-review/. I found a demo S300 available at a discount that I picked up as an early 49th birthday present for myself.

I have a custom resistor box from Zynsonix between the S300 and Susvara. I don’t trust myself (especially with a few drinks in me) to not accidentally fry the Susvara with a direct connection to the power amp, so the Z Boxxy Box provides insurance to keep me from doing so. It has two XLR outputs, one with 0db attenuation and one with 12db attenuation. The Susvara is hooked up to the former, and my LCD-5 is hooked up to the latter.

I guess on this thread, this is considered a “price-conscious” choice. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #15,549 of 25,936
How do Sol P differ from the TC? Is it close in the bass department with a darker signature?
I guess the P is darker. The TCs have better bass quantity and quality. The Ps have strong midbass, but weak sub bass. I have spoken to others who have said the same thing. If you don’t listen to sub bass heavy music like hip-hop or electronica, you’d probably find both to your liking. If you are into sub bass, the TCs are better. I should say, others disagree with me. But, I’m not the only person complaining. It’s a a bit of a controversy. I sold the Ps due to the lack of sub bass and redundancy with my other headphones

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #15,550 of 25,936
I guess the P is darker. The TCs have better bass quantity and quality. The Ps have strong midbass, but weak sub bass. I have spoken to others who have said the same thing. If you don’t listen to sub bass heavy music like hip-hop or electronica, you’d probably find both to your liking. If you are into sub bass, the TCs are better. I should say, others disagree with me. But, I’m not the only person complaining. It’s a a bit of a controversy. I sold the Ps due to the lack of sub bass and redundancy with my other headphones
Are the R10-Ps good for Hip hop music?

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #15,551 of 25,936
Are the R10-Ps good for Hip hop music?
Depends on your limitations. If you need a wireless pair of closed backs for work, then yes. If you can use a full size rig and any type of headphone, then no.

The R10Ps are my go to work headphones, and are adequate with hip-hop. I never listen to them on my main setup, so take that for what it’s worth

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #15,552 of 25,936
Depends on your limitations. If you need a wireless pair of closed backs for work, then yes. If you can use a full size rig and any type of headphone, then no.

The R10Ps are my go to work headphones, and are adequate with hip-hop. I never listen to them on my main setup, so take that for what it’s worth
Thank you 🙏🏽

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #15,553 of 25,936
ZMF Auteur Hybrid Solid pads are basically more-spacious, less-dense variant to the Eikon Hybrid pads:

FOsuts0.png

Compared to the stock Harmony pads:
  • More hardhitting and fatter in bass, fuller/warmer in upper mids, a bit less airy in treble.
  • Somewhat less "arena-like" soundstaging.
  • Much improved timbre - not artificial and diffuse-sounding.
Compared to the ZMF Eikon Hybrid pads:
  • A bit less hardhitting and tight in bass, a bit more warm and open in upper mids, a bit more linear smoother treble.
  • Larger dimensionality, otherwise the same style of soundstaging.
  • Alike timbre.
While both Eikon Hybrid and Auteur Hybrid Solid variants measurably oscillate around tonal neutrality and yield excellent results timbrally, they differ a bit in overall presentation. Eikon Hybrids are somewhat more focused and dense while Auteur Hybrid Solid somewhat more loose and easygoing. I think that most people coming from the stock Susvara sound would prefer the more spacious Auteur Hybrids.

Auteur Hybrid Solid pads might very well become my go-to pads for Susvara, they are really good! They already belong to my top 2 along with the Eikon Hybrids.

NOTE: I am using these with removed dust covers.
NOTE: Take the time, especially with the Eikons, to subjectively match each pad with preferred headphone side/channel. The pads are not perfectly symmetrical and not mounting them appropriately to L/R side might yield worse wearing comfort as well as sonics.
I was trying to PM but it seems that you do not accept PMs. Wondering if you have any experience pad rolling 1266 Phi TCs as well. I just tried the Eikon and it seems to be a good fit. I think a solid pad will do.

Apr 23, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #15,554 of 25,936
I've been fortunate to borrow a raal hsa-1b and I'm really enjoying it with the susvara (via adapter cable).

For those who have heard the hsa-1b and the enleum 23r, what am I missing out on if I stop here?

Thankyou

Apr 24, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #15,555 of 25,936
I bid farewell to my Susvara today.

left channel died (oddly, whilst it was hooked up to the wa33 rather than with the pre/power combo) and it was out of warranty, but HiFiMan was kind enough to offer a replacement set for a small sum of money. I sent it back to HK at my own cost, and they sent the replacement via fedex. turnaround time was just under 10 days.

massive kudos to HiFiMan for the great customer service. they were courteous, helpful and very prompt with replies; the left channel died on a Friday, and I was not expecting them to reply me on a weekend, with emails from them on both Saturday and Sunday, and I got the headphones out of my door on Monday.

had the replacement set bnib and decided to take this opportunity to sell them on my local buy/sell. realized I preferred listening to my SolP a lot more, and also found joy again with the 1266 TC after some adjustments with the fitment and a bit of EQ. Utopia stays forever.

not sure if I will revisit the susvara in the future.. it did give me a lot of joy when I had them, but getting them to sound their best took a fair bit of time and effort (and money). but at least, if I do decide to get the Sus again, I already have the gear ready for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back