HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 21, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #15,061 of 25,607
I own both headphones, and I much prefer the sound quality of the Elite headphone. The Susvara has amazing abilities in terms of speed/transient response and micro-resolving power, but I get much more realistic ("real life") musical timbre/tone from the Elite. Both headphones have equally good soundstaging and dynamics. The Susvara produces a very fast leading edge to all musical notes, but there is not enough body (tonal weight) to the body of the musical tone relative to its leading edge, which makes it sound less natural to my ears.

My audio system consists of the Jays Audio CD2 Mk3 CD-transport (or Euphony Stylus music server) => Musician Aquarius DAC => Vioelectric V281 headphone amplifier.

Jeff.
You need at least a better and more powerful amp (current output wise with a low impedance). Then you will see that the Susvara is far superior to the Elite.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #15,062 of 25,607
a couple of years ago I bumped into fang at canjam and asked him the new susvara question....his answer to me was I would but to be honest I dont know how to make it better
Really interesting, I didn't expect such a direct and honest answer from Fang. 👍🏻

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #15,063 of 25,607
Hi guys, for anyone using the Zynsonix adapter, do you know what XLR connectors are used? I prefer Furutech but I don't see any mention of this on their website. Also is it really such a big upgrade over the HiFiMan HE adapter that it's worth spending $700 for? https://www.zynsonix.com/Speaker-Amp-to-Headphone-Converter-Box_p_36.html

Edit: Nvm. Bryan from Zynsonix mailed me back to let me know he uses the chassis mount XLR: Neutrik NC4FD-LX-B

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #15,064 of 25,607
Hi guys, I'm new here and after reading a lotttttttt of pages in this thread I decided to give the Susvara a good listen. Oh well, that was an instant buy! My god what a gorgeous sound and soundstage, exactly what i was looking for. So rich, wide and pure , incredible. I drive the Susvara with 2x AHB2, one AHB2 was already very very good but adding a second AHB2 was an instant bigger better sound stage. Now It feels like sitting in a perfect acoustic designed studio room with 100k monitors. The bass, treble, midrange and speed in this setup is so perfect, just incredible. No matter what volume you play at, it has all the same perfect controlled sound.

Happy to join this club!

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #15,066 of 25,607
Nice first post @fabfive51and welcome

I think you have the amp /Sus thing pretty well figured out!
Thanks! After reading a lot and listening different amps I soon came to realise this thing needs power indeed! Anyone who claims Sus has not enough bass or sub bass realy needs to try it with a powerfull amp. I work in studio's with 100k monitors and perfect acoustics but the picture that the Susvara paint is maybe even better. Incredible.

Mar 21, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #15,068 of 25,607
Thanks! After reading a lot and listening different amps I soon came to realise this thing needs power indeed! Anyone who claims Sus has not enough bass or sub bass realy needs to try it with a powerfull amp. I work in studio's with 100k monitors and perfect acoustics but the picture that the Susvara paint is maybe even better. Incredible.
Congrats! and welcome to the club! :beerchug:

Mar 21, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #15,069 of 25,607
Wanted to chime in since I joined the ranks of Susvara owners! What an incredible pair of headphones. I've had them for a few days and between breaking them in I've had a number of extended listening sessions already and am enamored by their sound. I came directly from the Aryas and those are absolutely no slouch and fantastic headphones in their own right, but there’s a noticeable jump in texture and articulation that is just sublime on the Sus. Bass over the first couple days thickened up a bit as well and while slightly less elevated than the Arya Stealth, has more noticeable detail in both the mid-bass and bass territory.

Anyway, I‘m preaching to the choir here… you all know what they sound like! Here’s an admiration photo I took of the Susvara:

89B155B9-DCE6-44F7-967F-5C7D399ECA4B.jpeg

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #15,070 of 25,607
I would be happy with a purely optical update.

Who knows, maybe if enough folks raise their hands high enough we'll see a visually refreshed version of these cans. Manufacturers do read these forums :D

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 21, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #15,071 of 25,607
What I would change would be....

A more premium strap with a different mechanism of strap attachment for easier access to replace with OEM or aftermarket strap.
Magnetic pads !
Slightly better dust protection instead of chicken wire.
Get rid of the wood and make it all metal.
Make 3.5mm jacks more flush with the cups instead of sticking out.

Oh and a free upgrade for my consultant fee of course !

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #15,072 of 25,607
What I would change would be....

A more premium strap with a different mechanism of strap attachment for easier access to replace with OEM or aftermarket strap.
Magnetic pads !
Slightly better dust protection instead of chicken wire.
Get rid of the wood and make it all metal.
Make 3.5mm jacks more flush with the cups instead of sticking out.

Oh and a free upgrade for my consultant fee of course !
Keep the wood!

Mar 21, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #15,075 of 25,607
Hi guys, for anyone using the Zynsonix adapter, do you know what XLR connectors are used? I prefer Furutech but I don't see any mention of this on their website. Also is it really such a big upgrade over the HiFiMan HE adapter that it's worth spending $700 for? https://www.zynsonix.com/Speaker-Amp-to-Headphone-Converter-Box_p_36.html

Edit: Nvm. Bryan from Zynsonix mailed me back to let me know he uses the chassis mount XLR: Neutrik NC4FD-LX-B

I think Bryan can customise the box however you want. I find the Neutrik connectors are a bit tight with my Furutech xlr plugs, but it's not really a big issue at all. I've had two of his boxes (still using one of them) and the tightness thing is the same for both.

If you're going to use heavier spesker cables which may dangle off the edge of your rack/table, you may want to let Bryan know, and see if he can add some weights to the box to keep it in place.

whether it's worth the money, I'd say it is, for the convenience and peace of mind and not to mention the top notch customer service (both before and after sales). I've tried it both in and out of chain and personally, I can't discern a difference in SQ, so it is doing the job without inflicting any damage on the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back