HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 19, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #15,032 of 25,519
With both the HE-1000SE and the Susvara plugged into my Pathos amp (it has two XLR outputs), the HE sounds more alive and defined, though with a slight treble edge in comparison to the smoothness of the Susvara. The Susvara sounds subdued in comparison. I don't know if the Susvara will continue to improve with further burn-in, but it's disappointing that it doesn't pull further ahead of the HE in my current setup.

There's also a 40-step volume difference between the two to equal them out. The HE is just a little bit easier to drive. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #15,033 of 25,519
With both the HE-1000SE and the Susvara plugged into my Pathos amp (it has two XLR outputs), the HE sounds more alive and defined, though with a slight treble edge in comparison to the smoothness of the Susvara. The Susvara sounds subdued in comparison. I don't know if the Susvara will continue to improve with further burn-in, but it's disappointing that it doesn't pull further ahead of the HE in my current setup.

There's also a 40-step volume difference between the two to equal them out. The HE is just a little bit easier to drive. :beyersmile:
I'm going back to the HEKse's. The fact that I get maximum sound out a headphone without having to worry about amp synergy means a little bit more to me at this point. I owned the Susvara's for 3 years before moving on from them. So I know their sound and the HEKse's give me enough of their sound that I can be happy with.

Mar 19, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #15,034 of 25,519
I'm going back to the HEKse's. The fact that I get maximum sound out a headphone without having to worry about amp synergy means a little bit more to me at this point. I owned the Susvara's for 3 years before moving on from them. So I know their sound and the HEKse's give me enough of their sound that I can be happy with.
I hear you on that. If I didn't already own the HE-1000SE, I'd be totally satisfied with the Susvara in my current setup. The HE-1000SE sounds marvelous with my Pathos amp. Also, the HE-1000SE is a bit more comfortable to wear, as it's 20g lighter and has larger earpads.

If I hadn't already arranged to buy a speaker amp for the Susvara, I might think about selling it. But it's too late for me. I've had a taste of its sound and I want to hear what it's capable of at full power.

Forgive my cynicism, but I'll bet that when Susvara v2 is finally released, it'll look and feel exactly the same as the old one, except the drivers will be more efficient and easier to power. It’ll maintain its rank as one of the most expensive pairs of high-end headphones out there, but you’ll no longer need to shell out for premium amplification.

With my luck, I predict v2 will come out as soon as I get my new amp in-house. 😉

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #15,035 of 25,519
I hear you on that. If I didn't already own the HE-1000SE, I'd be totally satisfied with the Susvara in my current setup. The HE-1000SE sounds marvelous with my Pathos amp. Also, the HE-1000SE is a bit more comfortable to wear, as it's 20g lighter and has larger earpads.

If I hadn't already arranged to buy a speaker amp for the Susvara, I might think about selling it. But it's too late for me. I've had a taste of its sound and I want to hear what it's capable of at full power.

Forgive my cynicism, but I'll bet that when Susvara v2 is finally released, it'll look and feel exactly the same as the old one, except the drivers will be more efficient and easier to power. It’ll maintain its rank as one of the most expensive pairs of high-end headphones out there, but you’ll no longer need to shell out for premium amplification.

With my luck, I predict v2 will come out as soon as I get my new amp in-house. 😉
There's no indication that a susvara v2 will be released any time soon.

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #15,036 of 25,519
I am doubtful that you will see a susvara that is appreciably easier to drive....HP's like the abyss TC and susvara are hard to drive for a reason...I spoke to a couple of the guys who manufacture these TOTL HP's and I asked them if they expected to put out an easier to drive version and they no it would cause issues with the sound quality....

Mar 20, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #15,038 of 25,519
The Susvara will be five years old in August. I'm hoping for a successor that is better processed, carbon could be used instead of wood and the entire Susvara V2 in matt black and of course a cable that isn't absolutely junk. 😀

Mar 20, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #15,039 of 25,519
The Susvara will be five years old in August. I'm hoping for a successor that is better processed,

As much as we all would like to see that, first folks at HifiMan would have to make a product that performs noticeably better. I imagine that this is not an easy thing to do considering Susvara's membrane as is. Personally I wouldn't mind carbon fiber bits and black paint :sunglasses:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 20, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #15,040 of 25,519
Congrats! The KC62 fires out of both ends so phase is less important than on a front firing sub facing or facing away from your listening position and needing phase adjustment. You can just flip the switch back and forth and leave it on the setting that offers a “cleaner” bass reproduction. You’ll be able to hear a difference albeit slight.

As for integration what are you connecting the KC62 to?
@OneEyedHito @Pashmeister

I got my KC62 but not sure if its working properly. I'm using RCA outs from the TT2 as a preamp. The volume range on the preamp is -81 to about 0 until it starts clipping. I normally have it set around -30ish with the Susvara as I'm using the AHB2 as the power amp. At this preamp volume and setting the sub volume at max, the bass is not that loud. I even tried putting preamp near 0 and sub volume at max and its not rattling the room.

Any suggestions? I just sent email out to Chord and KEF support. Thanks.

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #15,041 of 25,519
@OneEyedHito @Pashmeister

I got my KC62 but not sure if its working properly. I'm using RCA outs from the TT2 as a preamp. The volume range on the preamp is -81 to about 0 until it starts clipping. I normally have it set around -30ish with the Susvara as I'm using the AHB2 as the power amp. At this preamp volume and setting the sub volume at max, the bass is not that loud. I even tried putting preamp near 0 and sub volume at max and its not rattling the room.

Any suggestions? I just sent email out to Chord and KEF support. Thanks.
Can you PM me a picture of the back of your KC62 and the settings on it?

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #15,042 of 25,519
As much as we all would like to see that, first folks at HifiMan would have to make a product that performs noticeably better. I imagine that this is not an easy thing to do considering Susvara's membrane as is.
I know the Susvara sounds fantastic. I would be happy with a purely optical update. But at some point I end up at Susvara. 🙂

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #15,043 of 25,519
Has anyone compared the Meze Elite directly with the Susvara? If so, would you be kind enough to share your opinion(s)? I’m looking for the most textured, timbre-ally and tonally accurate and natural presentation possible. In my humble opinion, detail and resolution are wonderful things, but they should be appropriately balanced inside the presentation. I found that too much detail can distract from the overall listening experience. Listening to someone’s nose hair is a very cool parlor trick and quite fun, but not something I want to hear on a regular basis. I already have Abyss Phi TCs for that.

I have both headphones coming in about a week and both will ride this chain:
CFA3 amp > Tara Labs Zero Gold AES/EBU/Tara Labs The One power > Wadia 27ix > Tara Labs The Cobalt power

Anyway, I thought it best to gather information and experience from others that may have already traveled this road.

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #15,044 of 25,519
Has anyone compared the Meze Elite directly with the Susvara? If so, would you be kind enough to share your opinion(s)? I’m looking for the most textured, timbre-ally and tonally accurate and natural presentation possible. In my humble opinion, detail and resolution are wonderful things, but they should be appropriately balanced inside the presentation. I found that too much detail can distract from the overall listening experience. Listening to someone’s nose hair is a very cool parlor trick and quite fun, but not something I want to hear on a regular basis. I already have Abyss Phi TCs for that.

CFA3 amp > Tara Labs Zero Gold AES/EBU/Tara Labs The One power > Wadia 27ix > Tara Labs The Cobalt power

Anyway, I thought it best to gather information and experience from others that may have already traveled this road.
I own both headphones, and I much prefer the sound quality of the Elite headphone. The Susvara has amazing abilities in terms of speed/transient response and micro-resolving power, but I get much more realistic ("real life") musical timbre/tone from the Elite. Both headphones have equally good soundstaging and dynamics. The Susvara produces a very fast leading edge to all musical notes, but there is not enough body (tonal weight) to the body of the musical tone relative to its leading edge, which makes it sound less natural to my ears.

My audio system consists of the Jays Audio CD2 Mk3 CD-transport (or Euphony Stylus music server) => Musician Aquarius DAC => Vioelectric V281 headphone amplifier.

Jeff.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #15,045 of 25,519

See my response from a few pages back:
Susvara vs Elite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back