HIFIMAN SuperMini Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #31 of 234
  Anybody knows what's the difference between HM-802u and HM-802s units? All I can see on HM-802s: "HOME" label is uppercase letters now, and onscreen label "Upgraded from HM 802" is gone. Technical specifications, seems like, are the same.

I believe 802u is basically 802 in new casing, used also for 802s, plus some new dual battery design and improved digital out, leading to better specs.
802s must have some entirely new circuit as it states that power on/off is only 3 sec, the same as with 901s. I have 802u run on latest firmware and it takes forever to boot, I would say at least half a minute, and updating the media library on new inserted SD card is also not the fastest around. HM802u has a gain low/high switch, which 802s is completely missing. To my ears this gain switch makes almost no audible difference, or at least to minimal too be of any use.
I went for 802u simply because I had a super deal, got it much cheaper than what I would need to pay for 802s. The reason is that the local dealer wanted to get rid of "outdated model" because HIFIMAN is now only advertising 802s.
So as much I understand, I would say:
802u sounds better than 802, on par with 802s.
802u is much slower than 802s, on par with old 802. 

May 6, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #34 of 234
Found some hands-on info for the Supermini (may need to use Google translate):
http://post.smzdm.com/p/439827/

Waiting for it to become available in the U.S. Could be the cheapest player with a balanced out (if priced less than the Paw 5000) and also one of the smallest.

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #42 of 234
Thread bump. My HM802 sat unused for a few months. Now it has an issue. I charged it for several hours then went to boot and it hung on the boot screen. Only way to get out of that was a battery pull. Now it won't even turn on at all. Tried charging all day and even tried another battery, tried swapping amp card to. Also held the reset button through the little hole in the side. 

Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #43 of 234
I wish Hifiman actually had some postings of specs for the Supermini.  For the price I'd hope it can play 24/192 files, but I can't assume as much.  As I have a couple Hifiman balanced IEMs already and I kind of find the noise on the HM-700 a little obnoxious, this would be an easy and not all that expensive upgrade path for balanced listening.  I'd be quite excited if it could do USB audio out to something like the Mojo, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Jul 9, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #44 of 234
  I wish Hifiman actually had some postings of specs for the Supermini.  For the price I'd hope it can play 24/192 files, but I can't assume as much.  As I have a couple Hifiman balanced IEMs already and I kind of find the noise on the HM-700 a little obnoxious, this would be an easy and not all that expensive upgrade path for balanced listening.  I'd be quite excited if it could do USB audio out to something like the Mojo, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I hope the above is self-explanatory. It does support PCM up to 24/192. 

Note:
1. 22 refers to battery life
2. 320mW@32Ω is the output of the balanced out.

Jul 9, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #45 of 234
Thank you, that's all the information i needed. For $370, it's awfully tempting as I really just want a balanced dap, and am looking for one to outperform my gen 1 Fiio X5 and HM-700. I've been debating the Fiio X7 and AK70, but this will run a bit less. I don't expect it to be capable of acting as a transport, but my X5 can do that for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back