HIFIMAN SuperMini Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #226 of 234
Will give it a go in exfat, but as far as I was aware the supermini only read FAT-32 unless there was a recent change to that in newer firmware.

Edit : BINGO ! It worked. I used exfat on previous DAPs but for whatever reason, I thought this one only worked with FAT32, so never tried any files on top of EXFAT.

If only they went the extra mile with this player like they said they would a year and pages back in the thread - gapless and other small quirks of how you use it, it would be perfect for such a small form factor.

Like TV shows, I hate when "producers" abandon it 2 seasons in once the fan base is there...
This thread is dead now.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #228 of 234
I believe it is the same case as with most manufacturer. Every product can only be allocated with firmware/ bug fix support during the first year. If after the first year, they still couldn't improve on any promised functionality or fix known bugs, the engineers would just forsake, move on to focus on their next given projects. After all, audio products will never be able to sell as many like Apple products to warrant continued support.

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #230 of 234
I got the supermini after hearing and liking the megamini at a show. Only reason i bought it now is i saw new firmware supposedly sorting out most issues. And the issues are big, kinda massive. I have no idea how is it possible to have an established company actually releasing this. It is still awfully bugged, crashes all the time, had to insist several times with 2 fat 32 cards and press the reset button many times..
Power button is placed in the most inconvenient of places keeping in mind if u use it with one hand and any key press wakes up screen..ah well
No gapless..terrible
Its not all bad but seriously..for the money..hmm..no chance
No such this problems with mine, have you considered the possibility of a defective unit? I'm using a Samsung Evo 128gb very old and works perfect, files 24/96 and 24/192, some dsd and dsf. The player never hung and is really powerful. The only real issue is the gapless playback ( if you want to consider it as a problem but nowhere is been said that the player support gapless playback).

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #231 of 234
Question: how to get this thing to work? I´ve formatted most of my cards to FAT32, and when I insert them, I only get "No Music File", even when I hit "update database". Does anybody know how to do it?

I tried 2 different micro-SD cards (one Sandisk one Xpandisk) neither showing up in the Supermini when "Updating database".
Both micro-sd were formated in MacOS to Fat32. I can drag music directly into both no problem using a USB to micro-SD adapter on MacOS. Another 64GB micro-sd that had music on it already works and registers with "Updating database".
Just cannot understand what is going on, especially with a same-brand 128GB Sandisk micro-Sd not showing up then a 64GB Sandisk micro-Sd showing up and the music database being scanned no problem.

Old thread, I know... but still I hope to be able to help those who - just like me - only recently bought a Supermini or other Hifiman device.
I had exactly the same issues as described above. The Supermini didn't seem to work and didn't recognise my memory cards. Not even brand new ones that I formatted on my PC! The cards worked without problems on other devices though... I contacted Hifiman customer service who where very willing to help by sending the player back to the factory for diagnosis. Not giving in straight away, I discovered there was a single memory card that worked like a charm. So the problem did somehow exist between the card and the player... Very strange, because another card of the same make, type, capacity and format was not being recognised!

After a tremendous amount of frustration and digital digging, I came across an old thread about similar problems on a Hifiman HM-602. Apparently, having a memory card formatted by Windows or Mac is not the same as having it formatted by the dedicated SD Formatter programme. And Hifiman devices seem to be incredibly picky regarding the formatting of cards!

Solution to make any card work on the Supermini: format your card with the software you can download from the official SD card website. Troubles are over now!

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #232 of 234
Loved size & sound of supermini, hated no album art and that basic GUI....and fact it had no standby...and a few other bugs I forgot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back