Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #4,216 of 4,255
I am not conflating them. They are separate issues and both have resonances. Dynamat does a nice job muting cup vibrations - use it on all y headphones. Preferring a resonance that extends beyond the signal under 4 ms can be heard as depth and harmonics - beyond that ringing, IM distortion, smearing...

All things being equal sure - and that's why drivers with Q of say 1.4 take much longer to stop. Low mass drivers (estats, ribbons) have an advatange over dynamics and planars for start/stopping. Planars are also good for starting, but stopping is more of an issue since more mass is moving

I had a pair of speakers (Cizek 1) with an acoustic suspension driver w/ bass good to 35 Hz. They have a Q switch .6 (actually .57) and 1. Couldn't stand them at 1. Something like Yes "Fragile" had Brufords drums and Squires bass smearing into each other. Had them set up on stands with the proper (1, 1.7, 2.5) ratio of distance to room boundaries for smoothest bass too. Clearly our tastes are quite opposite re: bass.

As one can see the bass FR measurements done by ASR show the Sundara and HE-6 SE (v1) to be very close to each other, however, the distortion figures of the Sundara are perhaps average among planars, but below the HE-6 SE v1.

Sundara: ASR (4/14/21) reports that they go bass light at 150 Hz, -5 db @ 50 Hz and -10 db @ 20 Hz (and treble centric)
big big THD under 200 Hz and 6k.
"Objectively we miss the bass by a mile but otherwise, compliance to our target is very good. Distortion while not best in class..."
"Alas, I quickly realized there is no sub-bass being produced. And sound signature was a bit bright and over exaggerated at the top."
"bass light and treble centric"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HE-6 SE: ASR (5/20/21) reports that they go bass light at 150 Hz -5 db @ 50 Hz and -7 db @ 20 Hz

"I just threw a shelving EQ at it and it made such a positive difference that I did not try to optimize it further. I did that now and boy did it balance the sound nicely and gave me that gorgeous sub-bass with incredible resolution and fidelity."
"Overall I am going to happily recommend the Hifiman HE6Se with equalization. Even without EQ"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ASR isn't good for a lot, but the measurements are good, very similar except at 20 Hz... and the distortion - so unit to unit variability, bad sample? I can't find IM tests and Q in open headphones is usually not measured (it's complex) - so subjective descriptions have to suffice.

By ear my modded and PEQ'd HE-6 SE and my friends HE-6 SE v2 (stock) top all 3 versions of the Sundara I have heard in every single way - except w/o EQ the Sundara's HFM dip at 1.8k isn't as as pronounced. Reckon that will not sway your opinion. Oh well.
I’m not sure comparing a 1,800 headphone (HE-6se) to a 500 dollar one (Sundara) is fair. Of course the HE-6se will win out.

I do suspect some people have hearing loss so they won’t be able to appreciate the distortions in the Sundara. Which means they save a ton of money from not buying expensive headphones they can’t appreciate anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #4,217 of 4,255
I’m not sure comparing a 1,800 headphone (HE-6se) to a 500 dollar one (Sundara) is fair. Of course the HE-6se will win out.
Very few HE-6 SE's were sold for $1800. Most were sold at $599-699. The HE-6 SE v2 sold at $499-599.

The debate was started about 18 months ago by the other poster, I joined in here and in the HE-6 SE thread to offer my opinion.
I do suspect some people have hearing loss so they won’t be able to appreciate the distortions in the Sundara. Which means they save a ton of money from not buying expensive headphones they can’t appreciate anyway.
Perhaps.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #4,219 of 4,255
I appreciate the back and forward. These discussions are interesting to me. However, it seems to me based on past and current exchanges between us on this topic that in your view the progress of the discussion is dependent on how much your views have moved mines. I think this expectation may limit how much you'd enjoy the exchange.
All things being equal sure - and that's why drivers with Q of say 1.4 take much longer to stop. Low mass drivers (estats, ribbons) have an advatange over dynamics and planars for start/stopping. Planars are also good for starting, but stopping is more of an issue since more mass is moving
Planar and estat diaphragms are pretty similar in terms of mass and thickness. I believe Tyll had measured the 1266, HE-500, and HE-6 as all having faster impulse responses than any Stax. I think there seems to be a misconception regarding speed of drivers with respect to their driver mass. I believe both estat and planar diaphragms have already reached the point where any further reduction in mass would yield little to no audible performance improvement. Many in the "Stax mafia" still insist the SR-007mk1 and mk2 are Stax's best and true flagships. In the DIY estat thread, there are a couple guys making their own estat headphones, who find their units are comparable to Stax's. That just goes to show that how good headphones sound really often is reduced down to how they're tuned, not necessarily how much has been poured into the R&D to reduce a diaphragm's mass and thickness 20% further, improving stators by another 20%, or making a magnet 20% stronger. A few people even find the L700 to be their favorite from Stax.

I think there's a misconception that start/stop speeds are solely dependent on thickness of diaphragms. Drop a heavy magnet down a copper pipe to observe Lenz Law. The sizes of the magnet and pipes affect the fall rate, but only to an extent. Now, what would make a really big difference is if one could increase the strength of the magnet itself without increasing mass, and the conductivity of the pipe material without adding thickness. That is the real engineering challenge. Planar tech, in my view, had long reached the point of very diminishing returns. The Sundara, from the technical point of view, is already quite excellent, even if its manufacturing process is somewhat inferior to its more expensive breathren. It is how well it is tuned, or how well it matches another piece of gear, that to me is where the magic lies.

I had a pair of speakers (Cizek 1) with an acoustic suspension driver w/ bass good to 35 Hz. They have a Q switch .6 (actually .57) and 1. Couldn't stand them at 1. Something like Yes "Fragile" had Brufords drums and Squires bass smearing into each other. Had them set up on stands with the proper (1, 1.7, 2.5) ratio of distance to room boundaries for smoothest bass too. Clearly our tastes are quite opposite re: bass.
Interesting, but I don't find the bass instruments in my Sundara+XLS "smearing." Weird to me to even have to say that. I don't know of any review of the Sundara (and there are many of them) that has said it has smeary, or slow bass. On the THX 789, in fact, the Sundara's bass is overly tight and lean, similar to the HE-6se.

Regarding ASR's measurements, yes, years ago I've seen/compared all of the those ones relevant to our discussion. ASR does pretty good work with measurements, even though some of the conclusions don't quite gel with my experience. Their data are still very useful, and generally match what I hear. The Sundara's harmonic disortion in the treble, for example, I could hear when I did my frequencies sweeps to EQ it. It wasn't that glaring, and what was more bothersome to me were the phase incoherences detected. This has taught me one thing: if the distortion is so low that you can barely hear it, or can't tell that it's there in normal listening sessions, then it's not really that big of an issue. For example, I've remarked that my XLS 1502 has a significant noise floor through the Sundara. When music is playing, I'm not even aware of it, at least until things get quiet. On a regular basis, the very minor distortion in the treble region is inaudible.

You have to also remember that their measurements are taken at 94+ db, where 94 db is already very loud. If you look at the blue line (94 db), there is basically <.1% distortion in the mids and treble. If you can hear that, your ears are better than golden. In other words, if you're listening to music at a reasonable level, there is no way you're going to be able to hear these harmonic distortions.

The mega bass drops I get its pulling 8 wpc are probably north of 114db, but the amount of distortion at this point is still tolerable. Frankly, other than myself, I don't think any one here has ever fed their Sundara anywhere near that much juice. Forget about the distortion stuff on the Sundara. It doesn't really factor into the equation experientially is where I stand.

Take the Ananda Stealth, selling at $500, for example. Look at ASR's measurements of them. Oof... Well, that's what you might think if you believe these graphs tell the whole story. Even the driver of the side that measures better looks significantly dirtier than the Sundara. Many people have remarked that they're the best offering from Hifiman under $500. I can't speak to that. Sundara measures much cleaner. Does that mean the Sundara would also sound better (to my ears)? Not necessarily.

By ear my modded and PEQ'd HE-6 SE and my friends HE-6 SE v2 (stock) top all 3 versions of the Sundara I have heard in every single way - except w/o EQ the Sundara's HFM dip at 1.8k isn't as as pronounced. Reckon that will not sway your opinion. Oh well.
Swayed or not, it shouldn't matter to you. Turns out, different people experience things differently. I personally can't stand hip hop nor extreme genres of rock, for example. I would think the Sundara were unspectacular, too, if I hadn't found the right kind of juice to feed it. Hell, that was the reason I initially sprang for the 6se v1 to begin with. Perhaps if I had your gear, and the specialty leather pads, I might also find the 6se not so underwhelming. One thing is for certain regardless of gear: the 6se cannot withstand the physical lowest octaves stress I've been regularly putting my Sundara under for the past couple years.

I'm so satisfied with my pairing that there is really no desire to explore new stuff. The way summit-fiers have descirbed their high end Stax systems, or their HEKse/HEK Stealth systems, are similar to how I've described my much more humbly priced system. If that weren't the case, I wouldn't be so passionate about it as to write up these mini-articles in response to you. I'm glad you have exprienced so many headphones that you've ranked even above your beloved 6se. Just remember to keep an open mind. They say the best things are free. Well, maybe after that, the next best things may even be pretty inexpensive. Got this amp used for $320. It uses up less real estate than some headphone amps, weighs 8 lbs, and constantly sips 21 watts from the wall. Literally only downside is the noise floor. lol Can't have everything, I guess.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #4,220 of 4,255
Planar and estat diaphragms are pretty similar in terms of mass and thickness. I believe Tyll had measured the 1266, HE-500, and HE-6 as all having faster impulse responses than any Stax.
I said that ribbons/estats had a similar fast response to leading waves, I was wrong:

From Audeze CRBN documents:

Basically, planar headphones can have much higher dynamic range than electrostatic headphones and that is their big advantage. This comes with a heavy price though - the added weight of the magnets. Here are some examples:

CRBN driver - 75 grams each
LCD-5 driver - 97 grams each
LCD-2 driver - 158 grams each
LCD-4 driver - 186 grams each

On the other hand, the laws of physics are on the side of electrostatic headphones. Namely, acceleration is directly proportional to the moving mass. Electrostatic headphones have much lighter diaphragms than planar headphones.

There is one more factor in favor of electrostatic headphones, driving force is uniform across the diaphragm while planar headphones have driving force only under the surface of the conductors, which never cover the whole diaphragm surface. There are always parts of diaphragm that are just passively following and sometimes even partially moving out of phase.
So, by definition it has too take longer for planars to stop since once they go in motion, there isn't in some cases a magnet nearby to stop the movement as quickly as other parts of the mylar - hence out of phase as well, not to mention more mass.
I've been looking at CSD plots of various driver types of dynamic, planar, estat, and ribbon technology for years, and planars have shown the most activity once the signal is gone - in particuar vs ribbons and estats, and in many cases worse than dynamics. The gap has lessened I have observed - esp since about 2017.
I think there seems to be a misconception regarding speed of drivers with respect to their driver mass. I believe both estat and planar diaphragms have already reached the point where any further reduction in mass would yield little to no audible performance improvement.
They are still reducing them, the mylar is getting thinner, the magnets stronger and being shaped better.
....good headphones sound really often is reduced down to how they're tuned, not necessarily how much has been poured into the R&D to reduce a diaphragm's mass and thickness 20% further, improving stators by another 20%, or making a magnet 20% stronger. A few people even find the L700 to be their favorite from Stax.
They are or should be hand in hand - not in oppostion when indeed materials/design has improved from a purely tecnical angle. Why improve if you cannot make it manifest in an audible manner to those that may purchase it?
I think there's a misconception that start/stop speeds are solely dependent on thickness of diaphragms.
Solely? No, thickness is related to mass, but you cannot derive mass from thickness alone. The strength of magnets, the treatment on the mylar, the gaps, the material used for the electrical current (copper/silver/gold/etc.) carrying the current.
Drop a heavy magnet down a copper pipe to observe Lenz Law. The sizes of the magnet and pipes affect the fall rate, but only to an extent. Now, what would make a really big difference is if one could increase the strength of the magnet itself without increasing mass, and the conductivity of the pipe material without adding thickness. That is the real engineering challenge..
Agreed.
Planar tech, in my view, had long reached the point of very diminishing returns. The Sundara, from the technical point of view, is already quite excellent, even if its manufacturing process is somewhat inferior to its more expensive breathren. It is how well it is tuned, or how well it matches another piece of gear, that to me is where the magic lies.
Matching equipment is certainly key. Objectively speaking my HE-500 and HE-6 SE are a bit bright for me. Between my DAC, PEQ, pads, minimal rear screen, fuzzor mod, dynamat they are not anymore. My HD-600 is also a bit bright mid treble, OTL amp, PEQ, dynamat - has got that working well too (within its limitations of bass and bass dynamics).
Interesting, but I don't find the bass instruments in my Sundara+XLS "smearing." Weird to me to even have to say that. I don't know of any review of the Sundara (and there are many of them) that has said it has smeary, or slow bass. On the THX 789, in fact, the Sundara's bass is overly tight and lean, similar to the HE-6se.
It takes two or more bass instruments in the same Hz range, playing at times in sync and out of sync where it can be heard. What's your current EQ in the bass for your Sundara? I built sub woofers back in the early/mid 80's and re-designed and tested them a lot. IM behavior with input at 40 Hz and adding one of 80, 160, 320 will tell a great deal more related to music playback than a steady state tone at 20 or 100 Hz.
You have to also remember that their measurements are taken at 94+ db, where 94 db is already very loud. If you look at the blue line (94 db), there is basically <.1% distortion in the mids and treble. If you can hear that, your ears are better than golden. In other words, if you're listening to music at a reasonable level, there is no way you're going to be able to hear these harmonic distortions.
I agree its not much, but since the bass FR curves they provide show that the Sundara has very slightly less bass output than the HE-6 SE, what accounts for your opinions on the HE-6 SE bass shortcomings based on? You maintained that it wasn't just one driver that went. Your original review before your 6 SE's were toasted was very positive

"I've been enjoying a pair of 6se v1 for the past couple weeks or so at moderate volume. Sounded exactly how I like with my THX 789; dry, clinical, super detailed, dynamic, lightning fast, and with excellent pin-point imaging. When my power amplifier came in (Crown XLS 1502), I was eager to test how much subbass
the 6se could output. So I switched on my subbass boost EQ, and after a few heavy bass drops, I was floored!".

If its not the FR and the distortion, what is it? Did you get another pair of HE-6 SE's? If not, your negative comments regarding them does seem based in very large part on your having blown them up, which was greeted by a number of posts that were not flattering about what you had done.

The mega bass drops I get its pulling 8 wpc are probably north of 114db, but the amount of distortion at this point is still tolerable. Frankly, other than myself, I don't think any one here has ever fed their Sundara anywhere near that much juice. Forget about the distortion stuff on the Sundara. It doesn't really factor into the equation experientially is where I stand.
OK, So I repeat my question just above in the first paragraph.

The loudest I've ever heard a headphone is about 104 db - and that's bass only
Take the Ananda Stealth, selling at $500, for example. Look at ASR's measurements of them. Oof... Well, that's what you might think if you believe these graphs tell the whole story. Even the driver of the side that measures better looks significantly dirtier than the Sundara. Many people have remarked that they're the best offering from Hifiman under $500. I can't speak to that. Sundara measures much cleaner. Does that mean the Sundara would also sound better (to my ears)? Not necessarily.
Yup I saw that. I know I don't care for the HE-400 Stealth, 4XX, 5XX, 5 SE. The Sundara is better IMO than all of those. The scrum of the XS, Sundara, and Ananda Stealth? Never heard any of them with non stock cables, mods, PEQ. Sundara is the closest to Harman. XS is tuned for popular tastes. Ananda Stealth isn't bad, and better than its earlier versions. I've owned 11 HFM cans including two 400's, 5 SE, 4XX, and an Ananda II - and I'm not interested in owning any of them again, nor the others listed. One issue I have with all the cans I just named is that none of them have a really good initial impact with bass notes below 70 Hz - neither does my HE-500 or HD-600. The HE-6 SE v1 is the best I can afford at that. The OG HE-6 is significantly better as is the very expensive Phi, and the OG LCD-4, and the Final D8000 all beyond my grasp.
I would think the Sundara were unspectacular, too, if I hadn't found the right kind of juice to feed it.
According to ASR your Class D amp is good for 30 dbW. Lots of power.

My Class A siding bias to Class AB Ragnarok 1 is capable of 26 dbW according to Stereophile. That gets the Sundara to what 108 db and that power is probably as much or more than 98+% of its users. That shoud suffice. So my objections are not based on lack of power.

I haven't heard that many Class D amps, but never found them to sound convincing, found this snippet in a hifivision review of the Crown XLS 1502, which may explain that:

"Definitely Lacks the micro dynamics and subtle musicality offered by Class AB design amps and XLS tends to sound more Clinical/Lifeless at times.
Class AB sounds more full bodied in general. If you can afford Class AB then it is certainly a preferred approach."

Hell, that was the reason I initially sprang for the 6se v1 to begin with. Perhaps if I had your gear, and the specialty leather pads, I might also find the 6se not so underwhelming.
Interesting comment as your initial impressions before you toasted them were very good indeed.
One thing is for certain regardless of gear: the 6se cannot withstand the physical lowest octaves stress I've been regularly putting my Sundara under for the past couple years.
In your experience. In mine the Sundara isn't worth any special consideration after hearing 3 different versions of it. Good for the money - probably the go to planar under whatever the XS is (for those that like big stages). I've owned 21 headphones since 2016, and I have the 3 that I think represent good sonics out of that group - the rest are gone.
I'm so satisfied with my pairing that there is really no desire to explore new stuff.
That's an excellent reason to be happy with what one has - saves money, time, and allows more time to enjoy the music.
The way summit-fiers have descirbed their high end Stax systems, or their HEKse/HEK Stealth systems, are similar to how I've described my much more humbly priced system. If that weren't the case, I wouldn't be so passionate about it as to write up these mini-articles in response to you. I'm glad you have exprienced so many headphones that you've ranked even above your beloved 6se.
Beloved? Nah, highly respectful performance for the $ and time I've spent on it. There are at least 18 I can name I'd rather have, but can't afford one of them at this time, and at most one in the future.
Just remember to keep an open mind. They say the best things are free. Well, maybe after that, the next best things may even be pretty inexpensive. Got this amp used for $320. It uses up less real estate than some headphone amps, weighs 8 lbs, and constantly sips 21 watts from the wall. Literally only downside is the noise floor. lol Can't have everything, I guess.
Few here have panned as much gear as they have spent money on as I have. I've taken big shots at the HE-5XX, HE-5LE, MD-4XX, 400's, Ananda, eventually the HEX v2, LCD-2, MD X00 Mahogany, Alara, AKG-240. If I was closed minded, I'd stay mum, or defend them - no?

I don't take objection with budget gear, compared to the last meet I went too in October, my friend and I were virtual peons - judged by our equipment/spending.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #4,221 of 4,255
On the other hand, the laws of physics are on the side of electrostatic headphones. Namely, acceleration is directly proportional to the moving mass. Electrostatic headphones have much lighter diaphragms than planar headphones.

There is one more factor in favor of electrostatic headphones, driving force is uniform across the diaphragm while planar headphones have driving force only under the surface of the conductors, which never cover the whole diaphragm surface. There are always parts of diaphragm that are just passively following and sometimes even partially moving out of phase.
So, by definition it has too take longer for planars to stop since once they go in motion, there isn't in some cases a magnet nearby to stop the movement as quickly as other parts of the mylar - hence out of phase as well, not to mention more mass.
There's a bit of oversimplification here, and the technical subject, though relatively rudimentary from a physics/engineering point of view, is still rather complex for the average person. I didn't finish my EE degree, but did ace all of my physics, chemistry, and math courses in community college, and enjoyed a short stint of tutoring in the math and science labs, so hopefully I'll be able to expain the following concepts in a way that is easily assimilated.

Yes, any object with lower inertia necessarily accelerates/decelerates faster from a given force. It's also theoretically correct to assert that in the ideal scenario, neither planar nor electrostatic diaphragms would have any mass. In reality, F=ma means if force is proportional to mass, then acceleration remains the same. Estat may have marginally lighter diaphragms, but that doesn't mean it is able to keep up in terms of force. The ribbons are generally able to take a comparatively much greater amount of power, which allows them to vibrate enough to create much more sound than estats, hence the dynamic range advantage you mentioned. This may sound like planars have an inherent power advantage, but that would be also a superficial look into the matter.

In actuality, estat tech is largely hampered by the litigiousness of modern/westernized cultures. The knowledge to create amps that can produce high voltages already exists. The mass manufacturing of the components necessary to produce these amps at accessible prices doesn't, because high voltages and electrically challenged people don't go well together; someone gets hurts, or dies, and someone gets sued into bankruptcy. Alas, we can't have nice things. That said, planar diaphragms arguably can take so much power while remaining very ultra low mass that estats aren't even that interesting (for me) at the moment for this reason alone. The extremely low harmonic distortions from estats are their only real advantage, and even here imo it is moot.

On to the topic of stopping the diaphragm. Let's return to the Lenz Law concept from earlier. This time, instead of holding the pipe stationary, imagine we hold the magnet stationary and drop the pipe directly over it, to observe its constant rate of fall. It should be initially obvious to us that if we can make the pipe thinner, it would weigh less, and thus traveling slower, even though resistivity has been proportionately increased due to less thickness. If we continue to thin the pipe, the closer it comes to zero mass, the closer the fall rate would approach an asymptotic limit. Lenz Law also applies to planar-magnetic technology. In other words, past a certain point, it becomes really moot to try and further reduce the mass of the planar diaphragm, which is dampened by the Lenz Law effect. There's also the electrical damping part of the equation, which I'll leave out for now. At some point, it becomes necessary to increase the conductivity of the ribbon, or magnet strength, which also run into the material science wall. Nevertheless, we have seen demonstrated and measured that planars can rise/fall as fast, if not faster than estats'. Perhaps even more important is the dynamic range advantage that you mentioned.

They are or should be hand in hand - not in oppostion when indeed materials/design has improved from a purely tecnical angle. Why improve if you cannot make it manifest in an audible manner to those that may purchase it?
Again, I repeat the diminishing returns reality of the improvements in these techs. At this point, I'm more interested in how these headphones jive with other components, rather than the technical side of things. You ask, why improve if it's not audible. That's a good question, to which I have no answer. Perhaps the marketing departments do. It is also possible to tune the product so that it sounds different, regardless of whether the tech itself has improved. Stax may have realized, for example, that after they had used their new tech currently implemented in their 009, or x9000, to create a new version of the 007, with the same/similar 007 tuning, that it sounded pretty much the same as the older 007. In other words, no audible improvement. However, they'd already poured so much resources into R&D, and need to create a new product to justify the investment. So, instead, they created something that is tuned differently, hence the 009. So, perhaps in reality, their new tech isn't necessarily audibly better than their old tech, but the new product with the included tech just has a different flavor. This is just a hypothetical possible scenario I can think of.

I'm already thoroughly satisfied with the Sundara, which I don't even believe is certainly technically superior to most other planars. In the final equation, audio tech is only as valued as much as it is enjoyed (or marketed, sadly).

You want to know what's weird? Some time ago, I actually enjoyed listening to songs more from the mic'd demos of the Stax headphones more than the youtube-compressed version of the songs themselves. The L700/L300/202 and microphone setup together added dimensionality and density to the sound that I didn't get from the pure recordings. I haven't revisited these demos lately to see if it's still true. It's interesting that it was specifically Stax headphones, especially the L700, that made these mic'd headphone recordings sound better than the original. I'm sure their utlra low distortions is partially responsible for this. The mic may have added decay to the notes, giving them more dimensionality, but this is just my conjecture. Turns out, a cleaner/purer signal doesn't necessarily result in a more realistic/immersive/enjoyable experience. -shrug-

It takes two or more bass instruments in the same Hz range, playing at times in sync and out of sync where it can be heard. What's your current EQ in the bass for your Sundara? I built sub woofers back in the early/mid 80's and re-designed and tested them a lot. IM behavior with input at 40 Hz and adding one of 80, 160, 320 will tell a great deal more related to music playback than a steady state tone at 20 or 100 Hz.
The EQ is in this thread somewhere. But I don't think amplitude affects the timing/phase behavior. Plus, it's only a subbass shelf. Frequencies >50hz are largely unchanged. Yes, you're right that poor delay is a big deal here, as far as headphones go, and to this point, I cede that the 6se is by far superior to the Sundara. In fact, it's even superior in that regard to the original HE-6, and the Susvara very slightly, given their measured phase delays. If you're an affionado for perfectly timed subbass response, yes, the HE-6se is the way to go. I'm not. Below 60hz, I care about only one thing: how FUN and enveloping things sound, not how well I can pinpoint one instrument from another in a recording. It's a personal taste thing, and the HE-6se does what it does exceptionally well—just not ideal for me. Between 50hz and 100hz, the Sundara has measured delays that are still not ideal, but still quite acceptable.
I agree its not much, but since the bass FR curves they provide show that the Sundara has very slightly less bass output than the HE-6 SE, what accounts for your opinions on the HE-6 SE bass shortcomings based on? You maintained that it wasn't just one driver that went. Your original review before your 6 SE's were toasted was very positive.
Perhaps "shortcomings" would be a biased way to put it. As mentioned many times, I much prefered the Sundara's warmer, fuller bass and subbass presentation. Is it the most accurate presentation? I'm not sure, but I don't really care. I feel like I'm swimming in each pluck of the strings on a double bass, or bass guitar, whereas with the 6se, they feel positioned two feet in front of me. That's not bad—just not as engaging. Drums that have lowest fundamental frequencies sound like they're being played right in front of me with the Sundara+XLS. I very much enjoy that intimacy. With the 6se, they sound much further away.
Interesting comment as your initial impressions before you toasted them were very good indeed
Yes, turns out, a $400 headphone that sounds like a $400 is very good indeed. As I already said in that thread (boy, I'm repeating myself a lot), before the 6se v1 came, I only had the Sundara with a few other amps as a point of reference. None of those amps was able to take the Sundara to its full potential. So, when a better sounding thing came, I was happy about it. I'd take the 6se+XLS combo over the Sundara+THX789/Vali2. Those latter amps don't do justice to either of these headphones.

Did you get another pair of HE-6 SE's? If not, your negative comments regarding them does seem based in very large part on your having blown them up, which was greeted by a number of posts that were not flattering about what you had done.
I've already mentioned several times that I purchased a v2 after the v1 died. It sounded to me very similar, if not identical to the v1, based off of audio memory of the v1. I had already said before, for my tastes, they sound like they're priced more appropriately at $400. To me, the Sundara+XLS is simply levels above that. Those comments aren't "negative." They representative of what I was hearing from both setups. Yes, much of the disappointment is based on the fact that they died. You keep saying "blow up," there was just a pop, and then no sound.

I was bewildered by the people who reacted to my sharing of that experience with derisiveness. Clearly, they didn't think that there are plenty of users who push their planars very far in the bass department. I'd mentioned in that thread two things: I'd put the same amount of stress to all of the planars I'd owned, and they all not only survived under far more rumble, but survived for years under those conditions; secondly, there is a preponderance of HE-6SE listed on ebay as "for parts" because a driver died. In fact, I saw no other Hifiman models listed as such—only the 6se's. Those who thought what I did to the 6se was unreasonable clearly didn't realize that there are a lot of people out there who love really deep, powerful bass. I didn't expect people would react so childishly, with such narrow-mindedness. Regardless, their reactions merely annoyed me, but had no effect on how I perceive my 6se. With the gear I have I find it's a good mid-fi headphone. There are levels to this game, and on a tiered system, I'd probably rank the 6se+XLS at B-tier, Sundara+Schiit/THX789 at C+, and the Sundara+XLS at S-tier. The 6se is not my cup of tea, but I understand why some may like it a lot more.

Yup I saw that. I know I don't care for the HE-400 Stealth, 4XX, 5XX, 5 SE. The Sundara is better IMO than all of those. The scrum of the XS, Sundara, and Ananda Stealth? Never heard any of them with non stock cables, mods, PEQ. Sundara is the closest to Harman. XS is tuned for popular tastes. Ananda Stealth isn't bad, and better than its earlier versions. I've owned 11 HFM cans including two 400's, 5 SE, 4XX, and an Ananda II - and I'm not interested in owning any of them again, nor the others listed. One issue I have with all the cans I just named is that none of them have a really good initial impact with bass notes below 70 Hz - neither does my HE-500 or HD-600. The HE-6 SE v1 is the best I can afford at that. The OG HE-6 is significantly better as is the very expensive Phi, and the OG LCD-4, and the Final D8000 all beyond my grasp.
You might be surprised by the number of professional reviews who claim either the XS or Ananda Stealth as the <$500 best headphone. William Murdock places both of them above his modded HE-500, which he obviously loves. His amps are very different from yours and mines, however. He has several transformer-coupled tube amps to play with.

I'm surprised you don't think the HE-500 has a "really good initial impact with bass notes below 70 Hz," because one of the things I've read most about the HE-500 is its strength in the bass section. If its bass impact is below that of the HE-6se, then I may have to reconsider my plan to try them out in the future. Again, I don't think the 6se has a particularly impactful subbass, at least compared to my EQ'd Sundara+XLS, which is miles ahead in this regard. If my memory serves me correctly, my EQ setting for the 6se had a fairly large amount of subbass boost, even though it didn't have the bass roll off that the Sundara does to warrant such a boost. Whether it was during movies or music listening, I always felt the 6se was comparatively anemic.

According to ASR your Class D amp is good for 30 dbW. Lots of power.

My Class A siding bias to Class AB Ragnarok 1 is capable of 26 dbW according to Stereophile. That gets the Sundara to what 108 db and that power is probably as much or more than 98+% of its users. That shoud suffice. So my objections are not based on lack of power.

I haven't heard that many Class D amps, but never found them to sound convincing, found this snippet in a hifivision review of the Crown XLS 1502, which may explain that:

"Definitely Lacks the micro dynamics and subtle musicality offered by Class AB design amps and XLS tends to sound more Clinical/Lifeless at times.
Class AB sounds more full bodied in general. If you can afford Class AB then it is certainly a preferred approach."
Class D isn't Class D, just as Class A isn't Class A. There are multiple ways to implement a design of each category, and especially for Class D some are much better than others. Asgard2 and the first version of Mjolnir were class A, with later versions turning to AB designs. Frankly, I didn't really think much of their sound quality, but perhaps that was because of the headphones I had paired with them.

Amps have immediately noticeable characteristics besides power, and besides all of the other measurable stuff ASR provides.

Power isn't the only issue. None of the Ragnarok versions is quite as capable in the way of current output as the the XLS 1502. The voltage swing necessary to output that much power is actually not that important, imo. These headphones seem to prefer an amp that is most authoritative in the way of current control. Take the HD600, and other high impedance headphones as examples of headphones that prefer OTL designs. Any solid state headphone amp can drive the HD600 to excessively loud levels, but it seems only the OTL amps, which have matching high output impedances, that can make them sing. I think back-EMF plays a large part in this dynamic. Frankly, I'm not knowledgeable in the field of amp designs enough to explain why the XLS happens to go so well with the Sundara, whereas every other headphone amp I've tried is just comparative very underwhelming. I also don't understand why it didn't have the same transformative effect on the 6se.

Regarding the Rag's sonic characteristics, I haven't read too many things about it in the way of praising its sound quality. Most of the praise for this amp seems to be about the versatility to drive everything from IEMs to loudspeakers.

That Hifivision quote is an example of the general bias people against Class D, and perhaps for good reasons. Class D has not had a great track record. As with all technologies, this category has seen much improvement, and it seems Crown has a strong case for having the best, or at least most cost-effective, implementation. Moreover, I'd rather not rely on a single review source. Synergism is the name of the game in this hobby. What could sound "meh" with one piece of gear, may sound fantastic with another. There are other reviews that have the XLS competitive with class AB amps several times pricier. It may sound lifeless through certain loudspeakers. Through the Sundara, if anyone tells me they're lifeless and clinical, I'd be really confused.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #4,222 of 4,255
I've already mentioned several times that I purchased a v2 after the v1 died.
I see, sorry, I did miss that or forget it from the last exchange
You might be surprised by the number of professional reviews who claim either the XS or Ananda Stealth as the <$500 best headphone. William Murdock places both of them above his modded HE-500, which he obviously loves. His amps are very different from yours and mines, however. He has several transformer-coupled tube amps to play with.
I'm surprised you don't think the HE-500 has a "really good initial impact with bass notes below 70 Hz," because one of the things I've read most about the HE-500 is its strength in the bass section. If its bass impact is below that of the HE-6se, then I may have to reconsider my plan to try them out in the future.
The HE-500 is a very nice headphone, but its strengths are more in the middle. The bass is better in terms of initial response than some of the long cup HFM in the 30-70 Hz area, but no match for the HE-6 (any version), so its not a focal point. OTOH, it has more output in the mid-bass I'm quite sure because of higher Q or vibrations of the cup - which I address with PEQ and dynamat, you might like it better. But after all its potentially a 14 year old headphone, so be careful.

Hybrid and SS seem to be the amp technology of choice for current and cost. Certainly not OTL's and I haven't heard enough medium/big buck all tube designs aimed at headphones - I am sure there are a few that do the job well, but, the price is liable to be more.
Again, I don't think the 6se has a particularly impactful subbass, at least compared to my EQ'd Sundara+XLS, which is miles ahead in this regard. If my memory serves me correctly, my EQ setting for the 6se had a fairly large amount of subbass boost, even though it didn't have the bass roll off that the Sundara does to warrant such a boost. Whether it was during movies or music listening, I always felt the 6se was comparatively anemic.
Difference in definition. Impact for me is the leading note - clean and proper in timbre and volume. For others it's more volume and sustain of the middle and trailing of the note - which I also insist on being proper in timbre, volume, and control. The antitheses of that is something like the TH-900 v2, here is the graph. Ludicrous tuning. "Fun" for some, horrid for someone weaned on the BSO live and Quad ESL speakers as a boy.

image0(15).jpeg

Class D isn't Class D, just as Class A isn't Class A.
Class A means single ended, not push pull like Class AB.

Class D is a switching circuit, not a linear gain device.

There are multiple ways to implement a design of each category
Naturally.
, and especially for Class D some are much better than others. Asgard2 and the first version of Mjolnir were class A, with later versions turning to AB designs. Frankly, I didn't really think much of their sound quality, but perhaps that was because of the headphones I had paired with them.
OK, I don't like the Mjolnir - the initial version or the current one either.
Take the HD600, and other high impedance headphones as examples of headphones that prefer OTL designs. Any solid state headphone amp can drive the HD600 to excessively loud levels, but it seems only the OTL amps, which have matching high output impedances, that can make them sing.
That is for certain.
think back-EMF plays a large part in this dynamic. Frankly, I'm not knowledgeable in the field of amp designs enough to explain why the XLS happens to go so well with the Sundara, whereas every other headphone amp I've tried is just comparative very underwhelming. I also don't understand why it didn't have the same transformative effect on the 6se.
I bought my first planar speaker in 1978 - the Magnepan I. I've owned/or had long term loaners of over 25 planar speakers and headphones, and after a certain level of quality is met, lots of current is the thing.

The notion that the Ragnarok 1 doesn't have enough current for the HE-6 SE, SE v2, or the 6 screw which I have all had on it is hard to imagine since I can't listen to them any louder than 3:15 in Gain 2 (Voltage Gain: 5 and 14 db). Gain 3 has a Voltage Gain of: 20 and 26 db.

I have not heard your amp., and it seems you have not heard mine - so it's conjecture seemingly. Seems more likely that our differences of what aspect of bass we like is what the delta is.
Regarding the Rag's sonic characteristics, I haven't read too many things about it in the way of praising its sound quality. Most of the praise for this amp seems to be about the versatility to drive everything from IEMs to loudspeakers.
It was named as the best amp to run the Maggie .7i and the KEF LS50 back in 2016 by CNET, and Stereophile liked it too. Has big support on HF in the Summit-FI Section by: thefitz, Rensek, devilboy recently and more back earlier.

I read about the Crown that its great for big watts for cheap, but nothing in Summit-Fi specifically except your input.
That Hifivision quote is an example of the general bias people against Class D, and perhaps for good reasons. Class D has not had a great track record. As with all technologies, this category has seen much improvement, and it seems Crown has a strong case for having the best, or at least most cost-effective, implementation. Moreover, I'd rather not rely on a single review source.
ASR reports a SINAD of ~75 of the 1502 is not good vs a lot of audiophile type amps. ASR has a review of the Onkyo M-282 where they found the 1502 had a lot of distortion above 1KHz compared to the other two amps tested (another switching amp and a a cheap Class AB).
Synergism is the name of the game in this hobby. What could sound "meh" with one piece of gear, may sound fantastic with another. There are other reviews that have the XLS competitive with class AB amps several times pricier. It may sound lifeless through certain loudspeakers. Through the Sundara, if anyone tells me they're lifeless and clinical, I'd be really confused.
Agreed on synergism. Plug in Rag 1 and HE-6 SE for the later comment and we agree.

Maybe time to take this out of here since few use either of our amps on them, nor probably care about estats and discussions of Classes of amps.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #4,223 of 4,255
ASR reports a SINAD of ~75 of the 1502 is not good vs a lot of audiophile type amps. ASR has a review of the Onkyo M-282 where they found the 1502 had a lot of distortion above 1KHz compared to the other two amps tested (another switching amp and a a cheap Class AB).
The SINAD for this thing is definitely not great. I don't think there's a single class D amp that measures well. I don't think there's a single tube, or hybrid amp that measures well, especially compared to the cleanest measuring class AB amps, of which the THX789 is among the top-3 cleanest. The THX789 does not sound great with any headphone I have. People who make purchase decisions based on measurements alone are stuck in the objectivism cage. It's not even the measurements' fault, either, but the fault of how people choose to interpret them.

I read about the Crown that its great for big watts for cheap, but nothing in Summit-Fi specifically except your input.
No offense to the summit-fi folks around here and other forums, but I tend to not give their opinions that much weight. I find these people strange, and their opinions heavily biased by the price tags of their gear. Some of these guys are ones who would spend hundreds on interconnects and headphone cables. I don't know how much placebo dust was sprinkled on their equipment, but those guys are convinced their $900 cables definitely sound 5% better than their other $200 stock cables, which sound 10% better than stock normie copper wires. I'm a science/engineering person, and these guys make me wonder if there is some undiscovered phenomena going on in this hobby that audio engineers and scientists haven't yet identified. Doubtful.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #4,224 of 4,255
The SINAD for this thing is definitely not great. I don't think there's a single class D amp that measures well. I don't think there's a single tube, or hybrid amp that measures well, especially compared to the cleanest measuring class AB amps, of which the THX789 is among the top-3 cleanest. The THX789 does not sound great with any headphone I have. People who make purchase decisions based on measurements alone are stuck in the objectivism cage. It's not even the measurements' fault, either, but the fault of how people choose to interpret them.
Pretty much in line with my thinking. Never liked any THX amp, and tubes are noisy, and large speaker tube amps have a discontinuity between bass and mids that I cannot abide - unless you're in the multi-megabuck area. More reading on Class D indicates that early on they were used for bass amps and PA, and as the technology has matured they have "won" the watts per buck war vs AB. An interesting conversation someplace opined that Class AB amps loose steam in the bass first and Class D in the treble. No personal data to confirm. I do need to drive a pair of woofers, so those newer Crown Class D's might be the right thing. The DSP with the 4th order L-W ability is very useful for that sort of thing.

I've owned dozens of Class AB and A amps - the differences were more pronounced in the 70's and 80's when they were often under engineered and the speakers tended to have more difficult loads (Beveridge, Dayton-Wright, Infinity Servo Statics, various estats, and the Apogees).

Starting in the late 80's the sliding bias Class A amps of Pass were where I put my money. I was impressed with how close the Ragnarok 1 was to my pair of X-150's and Pass P pre-amp ($1695 vs $8500), made it easier to part with them.
No offense to the summit-fi folks around here and other forums, but I tend to not give their opinions that much weight. I find these people strange, and their opinions heavily biased by the price tags of their gear. Some of these guys are ones who would spend hundreds on interconnects and headphone cables. I don't know how much placebo dust was sprinkled on their equipment, but those guys are convinced their $900 cables definitely sound 5% better than their other $200 stock cables, which sound 10% better than stock normie copper wires. I'm a science/engineering person, and these guys make me wonder if there is some undiscovered phenomena going on in this hobby that audio engineers and scientists haven't yet identified. Doubtful.
I mentioned Summit-FI because that's where you were posting about the HE-6 SE.

I started out as a hobbyist, then did the subjective thing for a few years - but then in the mid 80s's and since started doing a lot of blind A/B testing, which somewhat matched my move into Software/Mechanical Eng.

No question that many subjectives are swayed to make choices that can be hard to justify. OTOH, its that money that has created so much development, engineering, and produts which has indeed moved the technology ahead - even granted that a lot of $ and time was wasted along the way.

However, I have identified some areas that objectives do not support - that I do. Some are corner cases, but some a bit more broad than that. I just posted on that in the "Drinking Fountain" thread now active in "Headphones - Full Size", so I'm not going into that here.

Jan 31, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #4,225 of 4,255
well just got sundara and is a freaking insane headphone, compared to hd560s or anything i had before, paired with k7, and not even balanced, it's insane, heavenly lows and clean vocals, instrument separation, very perfect for rock/metal too, thinking i am getting same non-fatiguing listening nature and more than what hd560s is giving me, hmmm, worth every penny, and if you get them for 2x cheaper price, it's a steal, i want to start think of fidelio x2hr / x3, and why have i ever bought fidelio at all, lol

Attachments

• 20240131_120029.JPG
    20240131_120029.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #4,226 of 4,255
Sundara are still truly remarkable. Just such an addictive sound.

Unfortunately, I've now had 4 pairs of Sundara fail on me in one way or another. One with a straight broken headband, and now for a third time I'm experiencing a driver failure. This is on a new pair I bought in November '23, a deal that was the Sundara and a carry case for $309.

Other two times it was the left driver either failing outright or starting to cut out. Now on this pair, the right driver is cutting out intermittently. Tried new cable, different, source, etc. No dice.

4 pairs man.

They're so damn good that I keep coming back to them, but the QC issues in my experience are definitely real.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #4,227 of 4,255
Sorry for your issues. Hopefully the last one is under warranty. I've had my pair for a bit over three years and like you I enjoy listening to them. If they bite the dust that would give me the opportunity to go up the ladder a bit. But I would go to hifiman.com and see what kind of deals they are offering.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #4,228 of 4,255

Unfortunately, I've now had 4 pairs of Sundara fail on me in one way or another. One with a straight broken headband, and now for a third time I'm experiencing a driver failure. This is on a new pair I bought in November '23, a deal that was the Sundara and a carry case for $309.

Other two times it was the left driver either failing outright or starting to cut out. Now on this pair, the right driver is cutting out intermittently. Tried new cable, different, source, etc. No dice.

4 pairs man.

They're so damn good that I keep coming back to them, but the QC issues in my experience are definitely real.
Yes, on my first Sundara, the right driver intermittently cuts out. I think if you get a good pair, it'll likely last a long while; but even then, it may still be a bit risky, based on some of these posts. Such is Hifiman. Such is Sundara. Never had any issues with Hifiman's older generation planars (HE-400 & HE-560 v1).

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #4,229 of 4,255
i even boosted low freqs in AIMP3, and heavenly lows are even more heavenly, metal songs sound addictive as hell, i was thinking do we even need anything better than what Sundara is able to display during listening?
Screenshot 2024-01-31 220525.jpg

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #4,230 of 4,255

4 pairs man.

Simply unacceptable, and its why I refuse to buy Hifiman despite imo them making the best sounding headphones in each price category.
The $2000 AUD Arya has a build quality like it was made in the back streets of Bali.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back