Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jul 28, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #3,886 of 4,255
Here's some news:
Screenshot_20220728-081839_Chrome.jpg

But here's my real question:

1658992911482.png

When were stealth magnets added to the original open back Sundara (if ever)?

Or have they been there all along? For that would indeed be "stealthy" and HiFiMan would deserve some kind of slick move Oscar for keeping that under the radar this whole time.

I'm guessing the article is just wrong, but wouldn't it be cool if it were true?

Anyway here's the link to the full piece - https://www.ecoustics.com/products/hifiman-sundara-closed-back-headphones/

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #3,887 of 4,255
Here's some news:

But here's my real question:

When were stealth magnets added to the original open back Sundara (if ever)?

Or have they been there all along? For that would indeed be "stealthy" and HiFiMan would deserve some kind of slick move Oscar for keeping that under the radar this whole time.

I'm guessing the article is just wrong, but wouldn't it be cool if it were true?

Anyway here's the link to the full piece - https://www.ecoustics.com/products/hifiman-sundara-closed-back-headphones/

Sundara but closed-back… wouldn‘t that deserve a brand new name?

I guess Hifiman want to ride the Sundara success wave as long as possible and make the most of their popularity.

But given it’s closed back I would expect a different sound signature. So no longer a true Sundara. …would be amazing, though, if they can recreate the same sound.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #3,888 of 4,255
Anyone try the Auto EQs on Peace EQ for Sundara? It's under delay ms on the middle right of the application if anyone doesnt know what I'm talking about. I think crinacles EQ is the best but I also click the green EQ button next to import and like it a lot more like that with that eq. I've heard of all the EQ's I've tried since owning these. Just make sure you pick the right year for your version of Sundara if you try this.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #3,889 of 4,255
I was able to give the Sundara Closed-Back a little run at CanJam London...

First impressions:

- a pleasantly open sound for a closed back.
-Not as much sound isolation as I expected but of course still some.
- A little bit forward in the presence/"essy" region, something that the open Sundara does not suffer from.
- Otherwise excellent tonal balance and timbre.
- Easier to drive than original sundara.

If you need closed back, it's not a bad about but its not quite on the sonic level of its cheaper, older open back sibling.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #3,891 of 4,255
The NsD diaphragm (aka neo supernano diaphragm) isn't new. Hifiman updated the packaging recently though, maybe that's what is being mistaken as a 2022 version (for now). Glad I got mine with the velvet lining, don't need a stand. Good headphones :)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #3,892 of 4,255
Neo supernano...mech armor? nope
Neo supernano...space suit? nope
Neo supernano...implant? nah
Neo supernano....T1100 cyborg? not really

Neo supernano hypersonic ultraconducting carbonlite stealth-magnets HEADPHONES!
Marketing taken to the next level.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #3,893 of 4,255
I finally got a chance to listen to Sundara today, and my God they were a pleasant surprise, I didn't think they would be that good, I'll get the newest version as soon as it's available, if there really is a new version, or is it just bad Australian marketing?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #3,894 of 4,255
Anyone try the Auto EQs on Peace EQ for Sundara? It's under delay ms on the middle right of the application if anyone doesnt know what I'm talking about. I think crinacles EQ is the best but I also click the green EQ button next to import and like it a lot more like that with that eq. I've heard of all the EQ's I've tried since owning these. Just make sure you pick the right year for your version of Sundara if you try this.
I've tried several presets (Optimum hifi, harman, Oratory), feel like all of them have recessed in particular area, mostly treble and mid. In the end, I decided not to use any eq, instead, I'm listen to stock sound in combination with Xbass built-in the iFi Zen Air Can. Sounds good to me.

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #3,895 of 4,255
Apologies in advance if already covered. Is anyone here using the Sundara specifically with classical music please? Orchestral mainly but also Baroque, string quartets, chamber music and solo instrument albums etc?
If so how well do they handle these genres please? I’m wondering if they keep really good instrument separation in full orchestral pieces, and how well they extract detail?
Thanks very much

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #3,896 of 4,255
Apologies in advance if already covered. Is anyone here using the Sundara specifically with classical music please? Orchestral mainly but also Baroque, string quartets, chamber music and solo instrument albums etc?
If so how well do they handle these genres please? I’m wondering if they keep really good instrument separation in full orchestral pieces, and how well they extract detail?
Thanks very much
I am exclusive classical music listener which I use in all of my reviews.
The Sundara is very good with classical both for the realistic timbre (minus some quirkiness in the treble) and the positioning accuracy and separation.
It never sounds congested, soundstage is wide and open while detail retrieval is excellent.

PS - they are not USB dongle friendly, the like muscular amplification.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #3,897 of 4,255
I am exclusive classical music listener which I use in all of my reviews.
The Sundara is very good with classical both for the realistic timbre (minus some quirkiness in the treble) and the positioning accuracy and separation.
It never sounds congested, soundstage is wide and open while detail retrieval is excellent.

PS - they are not USB dongle friendly, the like muscular amplification.
Hello and thanks for the response. It definitely appears that the Sundara would be a good choice for my listening preferences then.
I would be using them will an IFi Zen DAC v2 and Zen Can stack. Hopefully they will provide enough power for them?

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #3,899 of 4,255
Hello and thanks for the response. It definitely appears that the Sundara would be a good choice for my listening preferences then.
I would be using them will an IFi Zen DAC v2 and Zen Can stack. Hopefully they will provide enough power for them?
Excellent, when I reviewed the Zen Can I used the Sundara as one of the listening headphones.
Balanced of course is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back