Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jan 20, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #3,031 of 4,255
take your Avi for example, imagine petting that puppy, now imagine if you were that puppy, getting petted, while petting that puppy. That is the Sundara's
Ummmmmm.. Glad you like them!

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #3,034 of 4,255
Jan 22, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #3,035 of 4,255
AMAZING, Sundara's are so clean, it's like drinking ice cool spring water for the rest of your life, and you can add any and as much natural fruit flavor too it as you desire at a moments notice. I have never gotten an enema and 100% never will but from what those people tell me it probably feels like getting one of those. I have been wallowing in the mud like swine my entire life and I didn't know it until I put on the Sundara's.
You need to quit your job and start writing romance novels haha

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #3,036 of 4,255
I like them naked. 😁 This mod on the sundara made the bass cleaner and extends the soundstage a little.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1611384208789.jpg
    FB_IMG_1611384208789.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 26, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #3,037 of 4,255
Hello everyone, is the topping L30 enough to power the Sundara properly? Or with that they're not powered properly so not at their full potential? Because as soon as a shop here in Italy re-stock the (corrected) L30 I was thinking to buy that and the Sundara

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #3,038 of 4,255
Hello everyone, is the topping L30 enough to power the Sundara properly? Or with that they're not powered properly so not at their full potential? Because as soon as a shop here in Italy re-stock the (corrected) L30 I was thinking to buy that and the Sundara
Yes, it’s more than enough. If you need more headroom you can always use high gain

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #3,039 of 4,255
Hi guys

Just got a set of Sundara's and wondered what balanced cable people are using with them. The reason I ask is I am driving them with a new iBasso DX300 DAP and in order to get any decent volume out of them I need to switch the DAP into high gain with the volume up at 80 !!!! Damn these things are hard to drive.

Im sure that if I plug into the 4.4mm balanced on the DX300 it will give them more power but would like to know the best cable to use.

Thanks everyone.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #3,040 of 4,255
Hi guys

Just got a set of Sundara's and wondered what balanced cable people are using with them. The reason I ask is I am driving them with a new iBasso DX300 DAP and in order to get any decent volume out of them I need to switch the DAP into high gain with the volume up at 80 !!!! Damn these things are hard to drive.

Im sure that if I plug into the 4.4mm balanced on the DX300 it will give them more power but would like to know the best cable to use.

Thanks everyone.
yeah I have a Bas X a-100
here are the unlocked ratings
47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel

my 600ohm DT990's goto around 1-2 o clock max, the sundaras are like 11-12 o clock max.... but thats with a max of 8.5 watts....
for reference it maxes out at 4 o clock

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #3,041 of 4,255
As an HD6XX owner how is looking for an companion, different sound, more bass, more impact... I thought LCD X, but that one expensive, and heavy. LCD 2C, they say not too much detail, not leather, still expensive, 650€+VAT...

I am left with Sundara's, or Beyer DT 1770, or Beyer DT 770 Pro... What should I do? Save more for the Audeze, get the sundara, or get a bassy dynamic driver headphones and call it a day?

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #3,042 of 4,255
As an HD6XX owner how is looking for an companion, different sound, more bass, more impact... I thought LCD X, but that one expensive, and heavy. LCD 2C, they say not too much detail, not leather, still expensive, 650€+VAT...

I am left with Sundara's, or Beyer DT 1770, or Beyer DT 770 Pro... What should I do? Save more for the Audeze, get the sundara, or get a bassy dynamic driver headphones and call it a day?
I used to own the 6XX (but it has been a while), and I do have the Sundara. The 6XX to me seemed very mid-centric with rolled off bass. Nothing wrong with that, of course. The Sundara definitely have more bass than the 6XX, but I would not call it punchy, but rather more linear until the sub bass where it too rolls off).

Beyerdynamic headphones have an annoying habit of having piercing treble (at least my 1990s did).

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #3,043 of 4,255

Sundara and HE-400i 2020 Edition would be the picks if you're planning on sticking to open backs.

Alternatively, if you were thinking modernised HD6XX + bass, that would be the ATH-R70X.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #3,044 of 4,255

Sundara is an excellent pairing with the 6xx as it's very different. The Sundara, with a bit of EQ, has excellent bass (It's good without EQ but a bit low for my tastes so I bring it up about 4-5 db), and has very good highs. The Mids on the 6xx will be more natural and with the right amp more detailed, but the rest the Sundara will perform better.

They are also very different in terms of soundstage and imaging.

Finally, Planar magnetics have their own timbre and characteristics vs. dynamic drivers.

In my opinion, the 6xx + the Sundara is one of the best mid-fi pairings you can get, they compliment each other very well.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #3,045 of 4,255

check my sig
6XX and Sundara compliment so well, one is best vocals under $500 the other is best Neutral under $500, you just need best V shaped IMO....
6XX vocals, intimate, bass, beyond perfect for ANY vocal based music
Sundara, SLIGHTLY wider, and literally near perfect neutral, even without EQ has neutral level badass thumping bass when you turn everything else ^
Sundara is like a must own, when other headphones don't sound right, or sound to intense or too laid back it feels like natural sound albeit a bit narrow
DT990 600ohms WIDE as HELL, BASS, TREBLE, EXCITEMENT

that was personally my choice, seems like maybe you are looking for something similar to this setup
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/3-way-shootout-6xx-vs-sundara-vs-dt990-600ohm.953532/
here are my full wordvomit thoughts

IF I COULD REDO MY PURCHASES
funny since I am considering getting the M1060C which people say is like a cheaper LCD2C once modded open back
also 5 year warranty
but yeah I love my DT990 but if there was one thing I could change I would probably get the M1060C switched out just because less treble and it would take the place of my "fun" V shaped headphone + sound better, I think it would be worth the extra $150 or just trade out my Bas X A-100 and save $100, but I love that AMP (if you get 600ohms please get an amp with ATLEAST 400mW @ 600ohms, srsly zeos was on the money here)a but I would never get the LCD2C vs the sundara+M1060C modded or even sundara+dt990
#1 sundara is too ****ing good for the money
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/psa...lready-have-an-extra-year-of-warranty.953877/
^another thread I posted on how to get an extra year warranty on all your headphones because 1 year on hifimans is a joke
#2 M1060C modded open back being so close to LCD2c's = getting the sundara's and mini LCD2C is just too much of a bargain

just my $2 and 2 cents

@Lolito if you pull the trigger on open box sundaras before the code runs out on like feb 8th I think you can get a pair for $270; buy open box + $30 off code
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/you-vote-i-buy-sundara-vs-argon-mk3.951737/#post-16099908
^here
so sundara+M1060C(on sale on monoprice website for $270 rn) = $540(regular M1060 $40 more off so $500 but I prefer M1060C modded open back from what I have read/heard)
or Sundara+(dt880/770/990)= ~$420ish

both better choices than not getting the sundara(or $800 LCD2C) if you ask me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back