Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Nov 20, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #2,852 of 4,255
Well, I've been speaking a lot of good things about Hifman lately, but I've just noticed the left channel cutting out very briefly on my Sundara. At first I thought it was maybe just in the recording I was listening to, but it has happened a few times now. I've only had them for a few weeks now, so they're well within the holiday return window. I wonder how common this is on these headphones?

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #2,854 of 4,255
I have noticed some times the same with HE400i 2020.
It is not driver related but rather a problem with the cable plug.
When I move it or push it then it plugs better and I don't experience the problem.

Interesting... just the 3.5mm exterior cable plug? I'm also reading that a driver connection inside can sometimes be an issue.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #2,855 of 4,255
Yes the female plug.
I don't know if it is purely plug related or as you mention it is something with the cabling between the plug and the driver.
Maybe a cold joint that needs fixing.
I guess it is something easy to fix but I am to lazy to open it.

Since you are under return window I suggest that you should ask for a replacement unit.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #2,856 of 4,255
Mine is having a ticking noise at moderately loud volumes in the left driver with frequencies of 60 hz and below. I'm also still in the holiday return window, just not sure if I want a replacement or if I'm going to keep the Avantone Planar instead, which has a 5 year warranty.

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #2,858 of 4,255
Mine is having a ticking noise at moderately loud volumes in the left driver with frequencies of 60 hz and below. I'm also still in the holiday return window, just not sure if I want a replacement or if I'm going to keep the Avantone Planar instead, which has a 5 year warranty.

Glad you found something you like. I'll probably just chalk this up to bad luck and try an exchange (even my first Oppo PM3 had a channel cutting out in the first month). There just isn't enough info on the avatone pro planar for me personally to have much confidence. But, I'll have to see what Hifiman QC is like long term I guess.

I just like the Sundara way too much to give up on it yet.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #2,859 of 4,255
Glad you found something you like. I'll probably just chalk this up to bad luck and try an exchange (even my first Oppo PM3 had a channel cutting out in the first month). There just isn't enough info on the avatone pro planar for me personally to have much confidence. But, I'll have to see what Hifiman QC is like long term I guess.

I just like the Sundara way too much to give up on it yet.

Yea, I returned the S4x already, now's its down to the Sundara or the Planar. The planar is fairly rolled off in the Treble, it's very similar to a slightly less rolled of LCD2C vs. the Sundara is a lot brighter. With EQ, they both can be pretty comparable, I'm leaning towards the Sundara at the moment as it's much more comfortable and $50 cheaper. The only ready benefit of the Planar is it's a lot easier to drive.

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,860 of 4,255
Yea, I returned the S4x already, now's its down to the Sundara or the Planar. The planar is fairly rolled off in the Treble, it's very similar to a slightly less rolled of LCD2C vs. the Sundara is a lot brighter. With EQ, they both can be pretty comparable, I'm leaning towards the Sundara at the moment as it's much more comfortable and $50 cheaper. The only ready benefit of the Planar is it's a lot easier to drive.

Oh my bad, you're still on the fence on those two. A rolled off treble is what I'm moving away from with my PM3, so that's a no go for me. I had been EQ correcting the treble of the PM3 for years, which made an improvement for sure - but going to the Sundara sounds a lot more natural to my ear. I've just made a personal rule to avoid having to EQ treble very much from now on -it's just too hard to find the exact peaks and dips. As I understand, the measurement rigs just lose a bit of accuracy after 10khz. Come to think of it, even the 6khz to 10khz range mismatches on graphs a lot - too much guesswork.

That said, if you listen to a lot of EDM or metal, the Sundara will probably be a bit bright for those genres.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #2,861 of 4,255
Nov 20, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #2,862 of 4,255
Oh my bad, you're still on the fence on those two. A rolled off treble is what I'm moving away from with my PM3, so that's a no go for me. I had been EQ correcting the treble of the PM3 for years, which made an improvement for sure - but going to the Sundara sounds a lot more natural to my ear. I've just made a personal rule to avoid having to EQ treble very much from now on -it's just too hard to find the exact peaks and dips. As I understand, the measurement rigs just lose a bit of accuracy after 10khz. Come to think of it, even the 6khz to 10khz range mismatches on graphs a lot - too much guesswork.

That said, if you listen to a lot of EDM or metal, the Sundara will probably be a bit bright for those genres.

I find the Sundara's a bit shouty with some vocalists, but with EQ, they sound Amazing.

The Planar is much more relaxed and easy to listen to and accepts EQ extremely well as well. Honestly, with EQ, the sound of these two are very close in terms of details, clarity, and technicalities. I'm leaning towards the Sundara the moment as I find them more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time.

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2,863 of 4,255
I find the Sundara's a bit shouty with some vocalists, but with EQ, they sound Amazing.

The Planar is much more relaxed and easy to listen to and accepts EQ extremely well as well. Honestly, with EQ, the sound of these two are very close in terms of details, clarity, and technicalities. I'm leaning towards the Sundara the moment as I find them more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time.

I'm curious what EQ settings you're using. Mine are the following:

Channel: all
Preamp: -11 dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 60 Hz Gain 11 dB Q 0.65
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1.41
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 2.5
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 2

Ignore the fairly aggressive low shelf haha, but this is my preference currently. According to the graphs, there seems to be a consensus that 2khz is a bit recessed, somewhere between 3-4.5khz is a couple db too much, and somewhere between 7-9khz is a couple db too bright.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #2,864 of 4,255
I'm curious what EQ settings you're using. Mine are the following:

Channel: all
Preamp: -11 dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 60 Hz Gain 11 dB Q 0.65
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1.41
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 2.5
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 2

Ignore the fairly aggressive low shelf haha, but this is my preference currently. According to the graphs, there seems to be a consensus that 2khz is a bit recessed, somewhere between 3-4.5khz is a couple db too much, and somewhere between 7-9khz is a couple db too bright.

I am using a slightly modified version of this at the moment: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8r9im6d3s5zglk/Hifiman Sundara (revised earpads, preliminary).pdf?dl=0

Still playing around with it a bit as I feel the vocals are a bit recessed with this, but it does sound nicer than stock tuning.

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,865 of 4,255
I am using a slightly modified version of this at the moment: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8r9im6d3s5zglk/Hifiman Sundara (revised earpads, preliminary).pdf?dl=0

Still playing around with it a bit as I feel the vocals are a bit recessed with this, but it does sound nicer than stock tuning.

Hm yeah, I've seen a lot people using these oratory EQ's lately. Not sure how how much I trust the measurements to be this precise to be EQ'ing this extensively. Maybe I'll try it out, but I suspect a lot of people probably end up with some kinda weird sound signatures doing stuff like this and never realize it. The measurements just aren't 100% accurate and if the peaks and dips are even a little off, you're going to be creating a new set of problems.

In the end though, if it sounds good to you I can't argue with that!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back