Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Apr 22, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #2,222 of 4,259
Anyone else done this?:
Sundara pads come configured wider at the rear. This, for me, left an opening at the front or forward position. I reversed pad orientation, so thick portion now forward. This gives me snug fit around both ears and full, encompassing pad contact. Unsure how this may have affected sound cuz I never gave original config a chance.

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #2,224 of 4,259
That’s not so easy : in term of width they are equals (maybe X2 is a bit better) but Sundara is taller (that’s obvious) and in term of depth / imaging I also give the edge to Sundara.
I thought Sundara soundstage was similiar to DT 1990. X2 soundstage significantly bigger than DT 1990.

Edit: Bigger doesnt always mean better though. It felt artificial on X2.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #2,226 of 4,259
So what's the verdict from long term Sundara users? I'm considering purchasing but Hifiman has a solid reputation of shoddy quality control and driver failure. So what's the verdict on Sundara durability and long term reliability?

Read the hifiman rep says they fixed this issue and upgraded the pads, since I see some posts here of saying the pads wearing far quicker than any headphones I've owned. Can users here vouch for hifiman rep's statements?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #2,227 of 4,259
^I’m on my second - the first I sold off, presumably because I was off my meds, but yeah I must admit that I have never had a problem with my Sundara....then again I have never had a problem with any of the Hifimans I’ve owned ie HE400, HE400s, Sundara and the HE500.
Also have a few friends who are fond of Hifiman. No problems either except for that time one of them accidentally dropped his HE350 down a staircase.
If you don’t use your Sundara as a hammer or similarly treat it like an actionfigure, I’m sure it’ll be fine:)

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #2,228 of 4,259
So what's the verdict from long term Sundara users? I'm considering purchasing but Hifiman has a solid reputation of shoddy quality control and driver failure. So what's the verdict on Sundara durability and long term reliability?

Read the hifiman rep says they fixed this issue and upgraded the pads, since I see some posts here of saying the pads wearing far quicker than any headphones I've owned. Can users here vouch for hifiman rep's statements?
Hi I have been using HIFIMAN SUNDARA more than year now.. So far no QC issue for my SUNDARA..
In case if you have any qc issue you can always contact their customer care

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #2,229 of 4,259
Can I use 3.5mm TRS (not TRRS cable like Sundara's stock cable) with this, or any 3.5 TRRS Headphones. Thanks

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #2,230 of 4,259
Damn i've used hd598 closed back version before. It was terrible. How is the open back one ?
I've never had closed back version, so I can't comment on that.
HD598 is not a particularly had headphone imo. Mids are nice, and although it sounds veiled it's good for very long listening session.
However, going back from Sundara, I immediately noticed both bass and treble are lacking, and the imaging feels somewhat fuzzy.

Hifiman Sundara or Beyerdynamic Amiron Home ? any experience with them ? i need opinions.
I think Amiron (or any Beryer in general) puts more emphasis on the treble. The bass is much tighter than Sundara, and some may find that lacking.

Can I use 3.5mm TRS (not TRRS cable like Sundara's stock cable) with this, or any 3.5 TRRS Headphones. Thanks
I asked exactly the same question to Hart Audio Cables, and the answer is yes. From the mail that I got:
Hifiman does not use the "Ring" termination on their stereo plugs going to the headphones. So it allows the use of mono plugs with no difference in performance.

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #2,232 of 4,259
I've never had closed back version, so I can't comment on that.
HD598 is not a particularly had headphone imo. Mids are nice, and although it sounds veiled it's good for very long listening session.
However, going back from Sundara, I immediately noticed both bass and treble are lacking, and the imaging feels somewhat fuzzy.
It was super thin and annoying/sharp. Vocals were super forward. Combined with it's build it felt like a very cheap and bad headphone.

I find Sundara bass is very controversial. Some say it's amazing planar bass, some say it lacks a lot. I don't know what to believe. Rtings says it has big rolloff. Diyaudioheaven says it extends easily to 10hz. Some say bass light, thin. Some say best bass i've ever heard. What

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,233 of 4,259
It was super thin and annoying/sharp. Vocals were super forward. Combined with it's build it felt like a very cheap and bad headphone.

I find Sundara bass is very controversial. Some say it's amazing planar bass, some say it lacks a lot. I don't know what to believe. Rtings says it has big rolloff. Diyaudioheaven says it extends easily to 10hz. Some say bass light, thin. Some say best bass i've ever heard. What

Haha reviews say they require at least 1W @32ohms for full dynamic range, and thin/basslight is a sign of insufficient power. I myself find them leaning towards lean sounding and am in the "underpowered" camp. Waiting for the drop thx amp to drop at the moment

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #2,234 of 4,259
In comparison to my AQ Nighthawk, the Sundara has less bass so it will sound leaner in relative terms. But in absolute terms, I think its neutral in the bass region, neither lacking nor abundance with my gear and preference. But i do find the bass to be more prominent with a tube amp (with the right tubes) vs. a neutral SS amp.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #2,235 of 4,259
who runs the sundara here on the dap, i have an ibasso dx160 .... are the two going?
I’m using with Hiby R5, se, but I have a balanced cable on order. I have to crank the volume but not maxed. If current performance is all I ever get, with this set up, I will nevertheless be happy. Sounds leagues better than my Bose, B&W P7, and Grado 225s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back