Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Apr 9, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,191 of 4,259
I’m currently listening to Sundara (thru Mojo), I’m still amazed at how it is so dynamic, punchy, airy, etc (I don’t listen anymore to my beloved Fidelio X2).

This hobby is endless and I’m still searching my next toys : Arya, T1, etc. However after each listening session with Sundara my GAS is always taking a step back.

At 349$, Sundara is the best kept secret of headphone industry :)

I I remember the Times before Sundara.
I was testing and buying quite a few headphones in the 500€ price brackett. So as I did with the Sundara on its release.

However the Sundara sounded soo much better than anything else I had heard until then, that I was amazed at how much better was still possible.

Therefore I tested several headphones in the upper classes by now. My latest addition was the Arya.

If it werent for the Sundara I maybe would never have Upgraded out of the 500€ bracket.
I have no doubt that the Sundara is the best headphone in the world available at 350€

Apr 9, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #2,192 of 4,259
I I remember the Times before Sundara.
I was testing and buying quite a few headphones in the 500€ price brackett. So as I did with the Sundara on its release.

However the Sundara sounded soo much better than anything else I had heard until then, that I was amazed at how much better was still possible.

Therefore I tested several headphones in the upper classes by now. My latest addition was the Arya.

If it werent for the Sundara I maybe would never have Upgraded out of the 500€ bracket.
I have no doubt that the Sundara is the best headphone in the world available at 350€

In what Arya is better than Sundara (and vice versa) ? Thx

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #2,193 of 4,259
How would you say how Arya is better than Sundara (and vice versa) ?
I never A/B tested them directly, as I have gifted my Sundara to my brother last christmas and bought the Arya 2 months ago.
So take it with a spoon of salt.

In my Impression the Arya does everything better, more Details, more clarity, more sub Bass extension, better Bass control, deeper soundstage (not sure about width)

If you like the Sundara you will love the Arya!

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #2,194 of 4,259
I never A/B tested them directly, as I have gifted my Sundara to my brother last christmas and bought the Arya 2 months ago.
So take it with a spoon of salt.

In my Impression the Arya does everything better, more Details, more clarity, more sub Bass extension, better Bass control, deeper soundstage (not sure about width)

If you like the Sundara you will love the Arya!

Well... great !

Apr 9, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #2,195 of 4,259
Thx, I'd be interested in your impressions of these when you get them.

Perhaps they will arrive next week! and I'll post my impressions. :)

Apr 9, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #2,196 of 4,259
I’m currently listening to Sundara (thru Mojo), I’m still amazed at how it is so dynamic, punchy, airy, etc (I don’t listen anymore to my beloved Fidelio X2).

This hobby is endless and I’m still searching my next toys : Arya, T1, etc. However after each listening session with Sundara my GAS is always taking a step back.

At 349$, Sundara is the best kept secret of headphone industry :)

I was always curious about the Fidelio X2, but from the reports it seemed to have a more closed sound, with higher mid-bass, so I never took any chances. Compared to Sundara, does the Fidelio X2 sound veiled or something?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #2,197 of 4,259
I was always curious about the Fidelio X2, but from the reports it seemed to have a more closed sound, with higher mid-bass, so I never took any chances. Compared to Sundara, does the Fidelio X2 sound veiled or something?

Sundara has a more transparent sound, Fidelio X2 is warmer and smoother, however I certainly wouldn’t say that X2 has a closed or veiled sound, X2 is a highly musical headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #2,199 of 4,259
I sent my Sundara back to the secondhand store I bought from, and am waiting for repair/refund/whatever.
I'm listening to my HD598, and that makes me miss everything about Sundara.
Excepting that the 598s are the most comfortable cans ever...

Apr 11, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #2,200 of 4,259
Excepting that the 598s are the most comfortable cans ever...
I agree. And the sound is very suitable for super-long listening session, unless you want some more excitement.
In terms of comfort, the next best thing for me personally would be ATH-R70x.
I wish those super high end headphones could keep their weight under 400 grams.

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #2,201 of 4,259
I agree. And the sound is very suitable for super-long listening session, unless you want some more excitement.
In terms of comfort, the next best thing for me personally would be ATH-R70x.
I wish those super high end headphones could keep their weight under 400 grams.
Comfort-wise, I have a pair of Drop AKG K7xx, which are both light and extremely comfortable (and driven right, they sound a treat)!

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #2,202 of 4,259
I dunno how but my Sundara needs bigger volume than both my HD650/800

It's because of their sensitivity. Impedance is not the overall indicator of how much power is needed to drive headphones.

Sennheiser HD650: 103 dB
Hifiman Sundara: 94dB

A good website to determine their ratings in terms of amplification needed: http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #2,204 of 4,259
I am really surprised that people compare the X2 to the Sundara. In Canada the Sundara goes for more than $500.00 and I picked up the X2HR's for about $100.00.

After Christmas I compared the X2HR's to the HD58X's. I found that the X2's had more bass, but the vocals were recessed. Also, the X2's couldn't be run balanced so it kind of held them back.

Great $100.00 headphone, but not not in the same class as the Sundara, IMO.

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #2,205 of 4,259
I am really surprised that people compare the X2 to the Sundara. In Canada the Sundara goes for more than $500.00 and I picked up the X2HR's for about $100.00.

After Christmas I compared the X2HR's to the HD58X's. I found that the X2's had more bass, but the vocals were recessed. Also, the X2's couldn't be run balanced so it kind of held them back.

Great $100.00 headphone, but not not in the same class as the Sundara, IMO.
Agreed. X2HR and Sundara are not even in the same league, no need to compare them :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back