Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 2, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,637 of 4,255
So I don't get how the literature for the sundaras say they are easy to drive. I have a benchmark dac1 and a dac2, each 2k usd when I bought them, and at Max volume they are satisfying volume wise, but definitely not loud. Strange.
I have the jumpers on the highest gain before anyone mentions that.

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #1,641 of 4,255
Quick question from a noob here: is JDS Atom capable of powering these properly? Or should I look into smth more powerful? If so - what would be a good budget amp? Thinking of getting Khadas Tone board and Atom, but not sure if it's enough for Sundaras.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #1,642 of 4,255
Quick question from a noob here: is JDS Atom capable of powering these properly? Or should I look into smth more powerful? If so - what would be a good budget amp? Thinking of getting Khadas Tone board and Atom, but not sure if it's enough for Sundaras.
JDS atom is definitely powerful enough for the Sundara, which are not particularly power demanding headphones.

Mar 5, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,643 of 4,255
So I don't get how the literature for the sundaras say they are easy to drive. I have a benchmark dac1 and a dac2, each 2k usd when I bought them, and at Max volume they are satisfying volume wise, but definitely not loud. Strange.
I have the jumpers on the highest gain before anyone mentions that.
The Sundara can get stupid loud out of my Jotunheim's balanced out, but yeah they are power hungry.

On low gain I was shocked that I could actually max out the volume pot and it's just approaching uncomfortable. I'd literally never turned the pot all the way before. On high gain though? I really can't go just past 12 o'clock before I fear for my future.

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #1,644 of 4,255
JDS atom is definitely powerful enough for the Sundara, which are not particularly power demanding headphones.
I'd have to respectfully disagree. I have a great dac amp combo behind them and they are not making my ears bleed. I'd like some more headroom.

Even with my new atmos denon receiver I have to crank it to reference 75db to be satisfying, whereas the 650s I can leave at 55db, a 20db difference.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #1,645 of 4,255
I have the Atom at around 12 o'clock on low gain with my Sundaras which is as high as I've had to go with anything else. They are pretty hungry but the Atom has enough horsepower for my ears.

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #1,646 of 4,255
P1000232.JPG P1000233.JPG P1000234.JPG

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #1,647 of 4,255
I'd have to respectfully disagree. I have a great dac amp combo behind them and they are not making my ears bleed. I'd like some more headroom.

Even with my new atmos denon receiver I have to crank it to reference 75db to be satisfying, whereas the 650s I can leave at 55db, a 20db difference.
Honestly, i don't get it 'power hungry' claim on Sundara at all. I use JDS O2 Amp on low gain (1x lol) and there is a lot of headroom above my usual listening level volume. And Atom from what I heard about them have more power than O2. Previously I used Fidelio X2 which considered super sensitivity and with Sundaras I maybe crank it up a little more and that's it.

Mar 6, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #1,648 of 4,255
Honestly, i don't get it 'power hungry' claim on Sundara at all. I use JDS O2 Amp on low gain (1x lol) and there is a lot of headroom above my usual listening level volume. And Atom from what I heard about them have more power than O2. Previously I used Fidelio X2 which considered super sensitivity and with Sundaras I maybe crank it up a little more and that's it.
I use my O2 at high gain (3.3x) and reach about 60% on the volume pot. Sometimes up to 70% with quieter orchestral recordings.

I also use the Sundaras on balanced output from my N5ii and that will reach max volume on quieter recordings. Regular songs reach 85/100 and that is already very loud.

So I guess 250mw/32ohm would be the minimum amount of power you should get.

Mar 6, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #1,649 of 4,255
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have the benchmark dac1 and dac2, and they have the hpa amp in them. I mean they weren't cheap. Strange that benchmark claims they can drive difficult headphones. According the manual there is only the one set of internal jumpers to increase gain. You guys have any other ideas? Maybe ill contact Rory at benchmark. Hmmmmm

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #1,650 of 4,255
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have the benchmark dac1 and dac2, and they have the hpa amp in them. Strange that benchmark claims they can drive difficult headphones. According the manual there is only the one set of internal jumpers to increase gain. You guys have any other ideas? Maybe ill contact Rory at benchmark. Hmmmmm
Well, it could be that the Benchmark dacs are designed for conventional hard to drive hardphone that have high impedance rather than planars which have low impedance but low sensitivity and as such, they don't have enough voltage/current swing. Just a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back