Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 14, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #811 of 4,255
Received the Sundara today bought from hifiman eBay store. Dead on arrival. Tried 2 sets of cables plugged into the Jottenheim and my stereo receiver, not a sound. How disappointing! Sending them back for refund. Hifiman quality is non existent. Returned the HE-560 due to broken yolks already though loved how they sounded. My search continues and it will not be hifiman.

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #812 of 4,255
Received the Sundara today bought from hifiman eBay store. Dead on arrival. Tried 2 sets of cables plugged into the Jottenheim and my stereo receiver, not a sound. How disappointing! Sending them back for refund. Hifiman quality is non existent. Returned the HE-560 due to broken yolks already though loved how they sounded. My search continues and it will not be hifiman.
I also tried with other cables, but mine worked ONLY with the cable that came with the Sundara. Did you try the supplied cable ?

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #813 of 4,255
Got mine in today as well, just an hour ago. Tried the aftermarket XLR cable I purchased and the stock one, both seem to be working and both channels are OK (for now). Going to break them in for about 24 hours, then give them a listen.

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #815 of 4,255
Mar 14, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #816 of 4,255
I also tried with other cables, but mine worked ONLY with the cable that came with the Sundara. Did you try the supplied cable ?
Yep, supplied cable and a balanced cable I bought for the jot. Could not believe both sides were not working. Also tried the iPhone. Really thought this would be the answer for a planar. I do not trust this manufacturer now. I like the Aeon Flow, but just can not justify the cost in my mind.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #817 of 4,255
I'm using the DANA cable on the Sundara. I didn't unpack the supplied in case I return. Any cable with the 1/8" termination plugs should work.

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #818 of 4,255

That’s weird....did you get it on the day of the 20% eBay sale? Thats when my friend bought it and he had the same issue....

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #819 of 4,255
I got my Sundaras from the HiFiMan eBay store earlier today and they work just fine for me, thank goodness, although it remains to be seen whether they'll stay that way. I'm really enjoying the sound, as much or better than my HE-560s. I wish the yokes offered some kind of swivel but...I guess when it comes to getting improvements to HiFiMan build quality we have to expect baby steps.

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #820 of 4,255
I got my Sundaras from the HiFiMan eBay store earlier today and they work just fine for me, thank goodness, although it remains to be seen whether they'll stay that way. I'm really enjoying the sound, as much or better than my HE-560s. I wish the yokes offered some kind of swivel but...I guess when it comes to getting improvements to HiFiMan build quality we have to expect baby steps.

Do you find much of a difference between these and HE 560?

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #821 of 4,255
The cable has to be extremely long to even close to a small fraction of the impedance of the Sundara. I wouldn't worry about it. It would have been better if he kept at 2.5mm for the cables to work with other Hifimans that utilize 2.5mm.
They might have gone to the 3.5mm since the 2.5mm are not very strong and don't seem to hold up as well in day to day use. I've built 3 new cables for friends who have headphones that use the 2.5mm jack and for most it only seems to last about 2 years of daily use and then one or both start to cut out. I think if they used the 2.5mm with a keyed area like the HD700 then I think they might be okay and last a bit longer. I'm one of the stubborn ones that like the SMC jacks better since they have a more secure connection and if they do go bad its usually due to over tightening or the cable getting yanked to damage the connector. But I also appreciate the 3.5mm even if its not the most secure connection but it convenient when you need to pack the headphone quickly.

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #822 of 4,255
Just an update on my SECOND pair of Sundara, which were replaced due to the left channel not being balanced : this morning the sound is cutting off from the left channel every few seconds. Also does not seem to be balanced. Man is this frustrating.

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #823 of 4,255
Just an update on my SECOND pair of Sundara, which were replaced due to the left channel not being balanced : this morning the sound is cutting off from the left channel every few seconds. Also does not seem to be balanced. Man is this frustrating.
Believe it or not, I found a solution to the left channel cutting off / unbalanced. Watch the video by clicking the link below, easier then typing. Obviously, this may not work for you all, but pretty interesting. So far all ok, 20 minutes after doing this. These cans are still going back, and for good this time. https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9b7rw5l8vj0ujk/Sundara.mp4?dl=0

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #824 of 4,255

Believe it or not, I found a solution to the left channel cutting off / unbalanced. Watch the video by clicking the link below, easier then typing. Obviously, this may not work for you all, but pretty interesting. So far all ok, 20 minutes after doing this. These cans are still going back, and for good this time. https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9b7rw5l8vj0ujk/Sundara.mp4?dl=0

Ugh, it's so damn annoying when poor quality control (or what can sometimes seem like a total lack of) spoils what is an otherwise potentially great product.

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #825 of 4,255

Thanks for replying above. When I made that post there were no negative comments for Sundara's build quality up to that moment. In fact, a couple of reviews gave a thumbs up in that regard...Since then, the same story with Hifiman....They are doing everything possible to keep the bad word for Chinese products going. Obviously they don't want my 500 euros and my first ever Hifiman headphone. And the reason has always been the same: Lousy Q&C. LOL man! Is this what people say "suicidal thoughts" or what? If they don't care, why should I?

Problem is, AFO and LCD-2C doesn't seem to complement the Z7 based on what I'm reading. And I can't think of a planar alternative to the Sundara right now. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back