Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Nov 17, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #76 of 4,250
Woooo, nice, but according to some Famous Dr.

1/ Because it sounds good, it is expensive

2/ in contrast to #1, because it is cheap, it won’t sound good

Good news as the end users like us just have more choices, and more options, which is always a good thing

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #77 of 4,250
The tree is full of **** if it's saying the 400s evolved out of the 560...

Yes, the tree is a bit ... odd? pretentious? I just thought it amusing that they include it on a product page when the product isn't on the tree.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #78 of 4,250
Yes, the tree is a bit ... odd? pretentious? I just thought it amusing that they include it on a product page when the product isn't on the tree.

It's not a bad idea, honestly. I would LOVE a tree like that for Sennheiser. Trying to figure out what's what in their 500 series is like trying to unravel lines of royal succession among medieval kings. It's just that he HiFiMan one doesn't seem.. accurate. It sort of implies that the 400s is somewhere in between the 560 and the Edition X, when it seems more rightfully depicted as an offshoot of the HE400.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #79 of 4,250

Good news as the end users like us just have more choices, and more options, which is always a good thing

Is that a Steely Dan reference sneaking in here?

The whole expensive better/cheap worse dichotomy really breaks down pretty early in the diminishing returns curve. It doesn't take much to get to 'different not better' or 'my ears/your ears'.

I've got some TOTL cans, but I can't really claim that they're that much better than my HE-560s. Different for sure. I really enjoy the very spacious soundstage of the 560s, and honestly, I don't think any my other sets have as much air as the 560s -- I don't have HD-800s, which probably would.

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #80 of 4,250
It's not a bad idea, honestly. I would LOVE a tree like that for Sennheiser. Trying to figure out what's what in their 500 series is like trying to unravel lines of royal succession among medieval kings. It's just that he HiFiMan one doesn't seem.. accurate. It sort of implies that the 400s is somewhere in between the 560 and the Edition X, when it seems more rightfully depicted as an offshoot of the HE400.

<rant>
I don't know -- I just don't think it provides much useful information. Maybe if they labeled the arrows to identify the technologies which flow up the tree from node to node... Or identified the sound quality inheritance/modification. I mean in what way is the 400s 'descended' from the 560? I just have no idea what the branch between those two means. Also, what are the three branches from the HE6 to the Susvara supposed to mean?

And the detail of the technologies listed doesn't make sense. Consider the Susvara, which appears to be descended from the HE5LE/HEK and the HE6. Those two branches list Asymmetrical Magnetic Circuit and Symmetrical Magnetic Circuit. Which is it?

I know, it's just a picture, and I shouldn't try to read too much into it. It is an easy way to see when each set was introduced.
</rant>

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #82 of 4,250
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #83 of 4,250
Well, as long as they make the cable shorter, thicker, and less flexible too... :wink:

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #84 of 4,250
I'm starting to read it as sun-dried tomatoes.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #85 of 4,250

Har har but in all serious Dr. Fang Bian knows musicality. Ph to the D. Dr. BIAN

CES2106_HiFiMAN_Photo_Main.jpg

A Bossman

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #86 of 4,250
Sundara looks like a big step up from He400i. The design, build quality and also the technology. 20% thickness of diaphragm is certainly huge improvement.
BUT the price is also a big step up. He400i is normally $200 now while sundara will be $500. This reminds me of the new HD660S. Also new driver and $500 while HD6xx is $200.
I hope the sound will be a lot better. To be honest, models like HD600/650 and He400i are quite behind compared to new models like dt1990/amiron home.
It is pretty nice that hifiman updates its low-price line, because almost all low-price products from Hifiman will drop half of the price in two years or even shorter. The he400i, edition s, hm650, hm700, re600, re400 and supermini.
I am pretty sure that Sundara's price will be cut down a lot after 1-2.5 years and will be a good deal in the price range. But it is kind of stupid to buy Sundara now.

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #87 of 4,250
Uh, wasn't he-400i $500 when it came out too? What the 400i is selling for now isn't a great comparison for the price of a new product. Whether or not it's better value to a new/used 400i for cheaper is another story.

I like how the sundara looks, bit skeptical about the super thin looking earcup bands... has it been stated how much it weighs yet? (edit: 372g from hifiman page: http://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/286 ) so that's gooood.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #89 of 4,250
I like how the sundara looks, bit skeptical about the super thin looking earcup bands... has it been stated how much it weighs yet? (edit: 372g from hifiman page: http://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/286 ) so that's gooood.

I really want the Sundara headband to swap my HE-500 drivers into, anyone know if hifiman is still offering the driver swap?

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #90 of 4,250
I really want the Sundara headband to swap my HE-500 drivers into, anyone know if hifiman is still offering the driver swap?

I know there is a thread where someone ordered the HE400i/HE560 style headband and was able to attach it to their HE-500 cups. Maybe ask Hifiman if it's possible with this style too, and inquire about ordering one if it is. Actually, I'm quite curious too. Might make my HE-6 more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back