Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jul 10, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #2,597 of 4,255
is it an upgrade if i owned HE 400i ?? the sound quality ?
or shd i just go to Ananda ?
If you can afford it, go with the Ananda. From what I read, and that was a lot, everyone agrees that it's a big upgrade from the Sundara, with pretty much the only negative is that it has a little less "dynamic impact", but people also described this as just a bit "smoother".

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,599 of 4,255
Hello all,

I'm having a devil of a time finding a decently priced set of balanced cables for my Sundara and MassDrop HE4XX. I'm trying to find a set with 4.4 mm right angle and the standard 3.5 mm on the headphone side.

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,600 of 4,255
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #2,602 of 4,255
Thanks for that.

Decent, being around $50 or less. Unfortunately, at that link you provided they don't have an option for right angle 4.4 mm.

I'll keep scouring the internet, or just DIY some.

If you're not in a rush, there are a few options over on Aliexpress.

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,604 of 4,255
I looked around on AliExpress yesterday and, at least from what I was seeing, the stickler is the 4.4 mm right angle. No shortage of options for 4.4 mm straight, that's for sure and lots of really decent prices.

I would recommend messaging the sellers directly with a specific request for the right-angle 4.4mm end - I've heard they can do some custom stuff, especially if you're not in a rush. I've held off from getting a balanced cable because my 789 powers them with a lot of gain to spare, and I have not yet been able to tell an appreciable difference between Balanced and SE, though your ears may be better than mine. I'm still loving my Sundaras through my Little Dot Mkii but go back and forth to the THX 789 to mix things up. The Sundaras have become my dailies now.

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #2,605 of 4,255
If you can afford it, go with the Ananda. From what I read, and that was a lot, everyone agrees that it's a big upgrade from the Sundara, with pretty much the only negative is that it has a little less "dynamic impact", but people also described this as just a bit "smoother".
unfortunately i can;t , the price is too expensive @my country for Ananda
as for sundara is reachable :p than Ananda
and i as my current gear i don;t think is enuf for Ananda class

Jul 11, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #2,606 of 4,255
The high frequency of the Sundara is better than the Ananda. Personally I think you have to go to the Arya to get a substantial upgrade from the Sundara.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #2,607 of 4,255
is it an upgrade if i owned HE 400i ?? the sound quality ?
or shd i just go to Ananda ?
I've owned 400i Gen.1 since 2017,they were my 1 & only can..I recently upgraded to Sundara..Yes IMO Sundara IS a sonic upgrade to the 400i..In my listening I liken the 400i to an EL34 tube amp.LUSCIOUS midrange/upper midbass but very slightly rolled off on the freq.ends..The Sundara is more like a KT88 amp.Similar golden honey midrange but a bit more sparkle in the treble & bass is not really deeper but MUCH cleaner,better definition & tone down low over the 400i..Also build quality is a MAJOR step up,the 400i feels like a plastic,cheap headphone,the Sundara looks & feels expensive,with it's metal construction..Oh & if there is any way you can, try a tube amp with the 400i,they really come alive with a good tube amp...

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #2,608 of 4,255
I've owned 400i Gen.1 since 2017,they were my 1 & only can..I recently upgraded to Sundara..Yes IMO Sundara IS a sonic upgrade to the 400i..In my listening I liken the 400i to an EL34 tube amp.LUSCIOUS midrange/upper midbass but very slightly rolled off on the freq.ends..The Sundara is more like a KT88 amp.Similar golden honey midrange but a bit more sparkle in the treble & bass is not really deeper but MUCH cleaner,better definition & tone down low over the 400i..Also build quality is a MAJOR step up,the 400i feels like a plastic,cheap headphone,the Sundara looks & feels expensive,with it's metal construction..Oh & if there is any way you can, try a tube amp with the 400i,they really come alive with a good tube amp...
The high frequency of the Sundara is better than the Ananda. Personally I think you have to go to the Arya to get a substantial upgrade from the Sundara.

you guys very nice ppl and yes after a long research ( watching youtube reviewer ) i decided 100% to get sundara over senn 660s
as for tube amp , sadly i;m still using the not so tube ( stock ) schiit valhalla 2 & ifi micro bl
can;t afford thousands $ dacs/amps or both

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #2,609 of 4,255
Hello all,

I'm having a devil of a time finding a decently priced set of balanced cables for my Sundara and MassDrop HE4XX. I'm trying to find a set with 4.4 mm right angle and the standard 3.5 mm on the headphone side.

Thanks!
Talk to Periapt?

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #2,610 of 4,255
I'm going to disagree. I think the Arya is the one to aim for as a major improvement. The Ananda is better than your 400i but not the leap that you would experience with the Arya. You might even find the Sundara an improvement.

It's all about the Bejamins and relative quality. I'm not a big fan of the 400i in an absolute sense, but for the money, it's a B at least. The Sundara is probably a B too but, I've been listening to better, so they are not interesting to me. The Ananda has a couple of issues beyond being smooth, but at that price its a B+/A-. The Arya is well better. Is it worth more than twice the Ananda? It certainly isn't twice as good. If you have the bucks and the ears get Arya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back