HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #841 of 1,057
I'd love someone to lug their 3ES to you to compare tho :p
I bought my tubes from Woo Audio. Given they're in NYC, maybe they'll just bring one over if there's a head to head. I know from speaking with them they hadn't directly heard the Shangrila Sr energizer, at least as of late last year.

Jun 22, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #842 of 1,057
Now that COVID is the new normal, maybe a few of us in the NYC area can get together later in the summer and compare these high end electrostats. I currently have 3 on hand as mentioned, so if someone brings the new Stax we're set. And others if they want.

I would be into that. I have a BHSE and a few stats. Lugging it all somewhere is a bit of an issue, but might be possible.

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #844 of 1,057
Excellent session tonight with the SGL Sr. Every long session confirms the same.. most resolving, realistic and accurate representation of sound I've ever heard. Each time I put them on it's a constant reminder that nothing else sounds like them. It's a good feeling that doesn't seem to go away.

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #845 of 1,057
I would be into that. I have a BHSE and a few stats. Lugging it all somewhere is a bit of an issue, but might be possible.
Hey awesome. I'll post here and see if this makes sense, maybe in late July or August, and then we can arrange by PM. I'm sure everyone following this thread will be interested in our feedback and impressions if we do this.

And yes, all2ofme, that's what I meant by the new Stax! Maybe we can make it happen.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #846 of 1,057
a8f19d9c95c5766cfe00b7b0e784e824fa89b8cd.jpeg

A couple days ago I got my Shangri La SR and 3es elite (stock tubes). The tubes and headphone have been burning in and from what I have been told, benefit from a lot more burn in, so take these initial impressions with a grain of salt. Additionally, I will try to compare with SRx9000 and susvara. (SRx9000 as it is currently in-house on loan @eskamobob1 and Susvara because it is the planar flagship from Hifiman and has been my favorite headphone, the one Shangri La SR has to beat in order to be my endgame.)

Chain: Gaming pc → Venom USB → Mscaler → Silver Dragon BNC → Dave → Audioquest Earth XLR → 3es Elite (stock tubes) → Shangri La SR/ SRx9000
*Audioquest Blizzard powercables for Dave and 3es elite.

Initial overall thoughts:
  • Extremely large and open stage. Surprisingly forward and engaging. The other headphone that reminds me of a similar mix of very large and open but also forward and engaging would be 1266tc.
  • Can be a bit harsh/siblant and overall unforgiving. Also, would like it to have more warmth/body and hoping break-in or tube rolling will do the trick.
  • On the right track, the Shangri La SR is absolutely massive, convincing, immersive. It can take you to a boundless world where it is just the music. Nothing inbetween you and the music, no haze, no sense that you are in a closed room or bubble (boundaries to the soundstage).
  • Only note I’ll make on the build/aesthetics: I knew what I would be getting but was still underwhelmed that it comes in the same box as susvara, has the same cable as shangri la jr (from what I can tell), and is built as well as an Arya or he1000. Susvara looks and feels more premium in my opinion.
Initial comparisons against Susvara (mscaler/dave → wa33 std-> prion4) from memory:
  • Shangri La SR is more energetic, forward, brighter, less “polite”, drier, less body, harsher. The susvara is a chill headphone. You can just sit back and peer into the music. Shangri La Sr is much more engaging and in your face.
  • One of the things I love about the Susvara is that it not only sounds natural and organic tonally and has good body and fullness, it also sounds very natural and organic spatially. Currently, I am not finding that same unprecedented naturalness from the Shangri La Sr.
Initial comparisons against SR-X9000:
  • SR-x9000 is much bassier and warmer and not hot/harsh, overall a lot more “fun” headphone. Stage sounds closed and small in comparison to Shangri La SR, such that, SR-x9000 sounds less capable.
Concluding Initial Thoughts:
Shangri la Sr is an impressive headphone. I can see myself conclude in the coming weeks that it has the largest and most open stage. However, between the tonality and forward nature, it is not a “musical” (like Susvara) or “fun” headphone and instead a technical powerhouse for engaged listening.

Moving Forward:
I will post comparisons with CRBN and 009s when I get them back in a couple weeks. Additionally, I will compare Susvara after I get wa33 elite next week (and add any thoughts of Utopia, LCD5, sr1a and mysphere vs Shangri La Sr. if I find anything worth mentioning). And I will definitely be burning in the 3es elite tubes more.

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #847 of 1,057
a8f19d9c95c5766cfe00b7b0e784e824fa89b8cd.jpeg

A couple days ago I got my Shangri La SR and 3es elite (stock tubes). The tubes and headphone have been burning in and from what I have been told, benefit from a lot more burn in, so take these initial impressions with a grain of salt. Additionally, I will try to compare with SRx9000 and susvara. (SRx9000 as it is currently in-house on loan @eskamobob1 and Susvara because it is the planar flagship from Hifiman and has been my favorite headphone, the one Shangri La SR has to beat in order to be my endgame.)

Chain: Gaming pc → Venom USB → Mscaler → Silver Dragon BNC → Dave → Audioquest Earth XLR → 3es Elite (stock tubes) → Shangri La SR/ SRx9000
*Audioquest Blizzard powercables for Dave and 3es elite.

Initial overall thoughts:
  • Extremely large and open stage. Surprisingly forward and engaging. The other headphone that reminds me of a similar mix of very large and open but also forward and engaging would be 1266tc.
  • Can be a bit harsh/siblant and overall unforgiving. Also, would like it to have more warmth/body and hoping break-in or tube rolling will do the trick.
  • On the right track, the Shangri La SR is absolutely massive, convincing, immersive. It can take you to a boundless world where it is just the music. Nothing inbetween you and the music, no haze, no sense that you are in a closed room or bubble (boundaries to the soundstage).
  • Only note I’ll make on the build/aesthetics: I knew what I would be getting but was still underwhelmed that it comes in the same box as susvara, has the same cable as shangri la jr (from what I can tell), and is built as well as an Arya or he1000. Susvara looks and feels more premium in my opinion.
Initial comparisons against Susvara (mscaler/dave → wa33 std-> prion4) from memory:
  • Shangri La SR is more energetic, forward, brighter, less “polite”, drier, less body, harsher. The susvara is a chill headphone. You can just sit back and peer into the music. Shangri La Sr is much more engaging and in your face.
  • One of the things I love about the Susvara is that it not only sounds natural and organic tonally and has good body and fullness, it also sounds very natural and organic spatially. Currently, I am not finding that same unprecedented naturalness from the Shangri La Sr.
Initial comparisons against SR-X9000:
  • SR-x9000 is much bassier and warmer and not hot/harsh, overall a lot more “fun” headphone. Stage sounds closed and small in comparison to Shangri La SR, such that, SR-x9000 sounds less capable.
Concluding Initial Thoughts:
Shangri la Sr is an impressive headphone. I can see myself conclude in the coming weeks that it has the largest and most open stage. However, between the tonality and forward nature, it is not a “musical” (like Susvara) or “fun” headphone and instead a technical powerhouse for engaged listening.

Moving Forward:
I will post comparisons with CRBN and 009s when I get them back in a couple weeks. Additionally, I will compare Susvara after I get wa33 elite next week (and add any thoughts of Utopia, LCD5, sr1a and mysphere vs Shangri La Sr. if I find anything worth mentioning). And I will definitely be burning in the 3es elite tubes more.
Thanks for posting the review. In my week with the Shangri-la, I never recall it sounding harsh or sibilant. My advice would be to give it some more break-in time, and possibly experiment with other components in the chain if you still have the same impressions in a couple of weeks. What genres of music have you been listening to?

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #848 of 1,057
Thanks for posting the review. In my week with the Shangri-la, I never recall it sounding harsh or sibilant. My advice would be to give it some more break-in time, and possibly experiment with other components in the chain if you still have the same impressions in a couple of weeks. What genres of music have you been listening to?
Agreed. I'm using a 3ES Elite with my SGL as well (with non-stock tubes, and a DAVE and M-Scaler, though with the DC4 PSUs). I've never heard it sound harsh or sibilant. I think break-in time is needed perhaps.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #849 of 1,057
Yes, I will definitely be burning in the headphone and tubes more. I probably only have 20 hours on them so far, so these are very much initial impressions. I plan to post again in a week or two.
Agreed. I'm using a 3ES Elite (though with non-stock tubes) with my SGL as well (and a DAVE and M-Scaler, though with the DC4 PSUs). I've never heard it sound harsh or sibilant. I think break-in time is needed perhaps.
How many hours did the tubes need and headphones need? A friend recommended 400 hours ideally. How much did you feel the stock tubes held back the performance? My plan was to evaluate the chain with the stock tubes and then decide on upgrade tubes once I know what I like and what I would like to change. Also, do you use your 3es elite in 110v or 120v mode? I have heard conflicting things haha.

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #850 of 1,057
How many hours did the tubes need and headphones need? A friend recommended 400 hours ideally. How much did you feel the stock tubes held back the performance? My plan was to evaluate the chain with the stock tubes and then decide on upgrade tubes once I know what I like and what I would like to change. Also, do you use your 3es elite in 110v or 120v mode? I have heard conflicting things haha.
I broke my 3ES Elite in with the Audeze CRBN, which I had months before the SGL. I'd say it took 100-200 hours to break in the 3ES Elite. I jumped to upgraded tubes like a week after using the stock tubes (I just couldn't wait to try my Tak tubes). The upgraded tubes are basically better at everything (soundstage, clarity, separation, etc). I use 120v (it came that way, my power through my Istoek is always around 120v, and I thought it sounded good). I'd say my SGL sounded great from the beginning, but after a week of listening to it every day for a few hours, and taking into consideration brain-burn in, it started to sound even better.

I don't know what the SGL would sound like on a unbroken-in 3ES, but it might just sound like you are describing. We have some similiar equipment, but different PSUs and cables. That could be accounting for some of the differences as well. I've been told that e-stats are much more sensitive to component changes than traditional headphones. Have you considered a power conditioner, like an Isotek?

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #851 of 1,057
I broke my 3ES Elite in with the Audeze CRBN, which I had months before the SGL. I'd say it took 100-200 hours to break in the 3ES Elite. I jumped to upgraded tubes like a week after using the stock tubes (I just couldn't wait to try my Tak tubes). The upgraded tubes are basically better at everything (soundstage, clarity, separation, etc). I use 120v (it came that way, my power through my Istoek is always around 120v, and I thought it sounded good). I'd say my SGL sounded great from the beginning, but after a week of listening to it every day for a few hours, and taking into consideration brain-burn in, it started to sound even better.

I don't know what the SGL would sound like on a unbroken-in 3ES, but it might just sound like you are describing. We have some similiar equipment, but different PSUs and cables. That could be accounting for some of the differences as well. I've been told that e-stats are much more sensitive to component changes than traditional headphones. Have you considered a power conditioner, like an Isotek?
Thank you for your reply. I have a powerplant3 coming in about a week, it will be my first time trying a power regenerator or conditioner. It sounds like by the time it arrives, the tubes will be burned in pretty well and I'll also have adjusted to the SRL. So hopefully in about a week I will be able to evaluate the system more fairly. :)

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #852 of 1,057
I would say that an important difference between your systems (Ciggavelli's and yours) must be associated to a good degree with the very high quality music server (Antipodes K50), which could also be making a noticeable improvement to the signal quality.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #854 of 1,057
Anyone here ever compaired a good speaker amp + transformer box against any of the big 3 (t2, 3es, viva stx) for shang? I am currious if you can get similar levels of performance but with some more versatility (and more options sound wise) going that route or if you can simply not make up the difference from a dedicated enegizer

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #855 of 1,057
Anyone here ever compaired a good speaker amp + transformer box against any of the big 3 (t2, 3es, viva stx) for shang? I am currious if you can get similar levels of performance but with some more versatility (and more options sound wise) going that route or if you can simply not make up the difference from a dedicated enegizer
FWIW, I'll be doing a comparison review of my current iESL setup vs. the Eksonic Aeras in the coming week. The Aeras is probably close enough to top tier status to allow a meaningful extrapolation from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back